- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Set of 4 Salviati Hand Blown Venetian Candlesticks Hand Painted Enamels
About the Item
- Creator:Antonio Salviati (Manufacturer),Salviati (Manufacturer)
- Dimensions:Height: 13 in (33.02 cm)Diameter: 5.75 in (14.61 cm)
- Sold As:Set of 4
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:1920's
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use.
- Seller Location:Great Barrington, MA
- Reference Number:1stDibs: 1001068331329
Not only did Salviati support the revival of Venice’s flagging Murano glass industry in the 19th century, but the company also became world-renowned for its innovative glassmaking techniques, revolutionizing the art of mosaics and glassware design.
The story of Salviati glass begins with Vicenza-born lawyer and entrepreneur Antonio Salviati. His love of Murano glass art and mosaics inspired him to establish his own mosaic and glass manufacturing firm, the Salviati Dott. Antonio fu Bartolomeo company, in Venice in 1859. Glassmakers in the region had been weathering a dismal political climate and growing competition in neighboring countries, and Salviati had initially hoped to revive Murano glassmaking in order to restore deteriorating mosaics in local cathedrals.
In 1864, Salviati exhibited a monumental glass mosaic at the “First Glassmakers’ Exhibition,” which won the gold medal. His award-winning mosaic solidified his company’s reputation as a first-rate glassmaker, which soon drew the attention of international investors, particularly investors from Great Britain.
In 1866, “Salviati and C.” opened in London with the support of historian William Drake and diplomat Sir Austen Henry Layard. Meanwhile, the Salviati company established its headquarters on the Rio dei Vetrai in Murano.
Throughout the late 1800s, Salviati and C. expanded its production to include household glassware and serveware and decorative objects such as cups, glasses, amphoras and vials. Salviati also received commissions to produce mosaics for St Paul’s Cathedral and the Houses of Parliament in London, the Paris Opera House and the Viceroy of Egypt’s Palace in Alexandria.
After Antonio Salviati died in 1890, his sons Giulio and Silvio took over the company. The Barovier family — a dynasty that stretches as far back as 1295 — bought the manufacturer in 1883, and a glass master named Maurizio Camerino, who had honed his skills at Salviati, was appointed to lead the company. Camerino’s children took the reins following the glass master’s death in 1931 and launched a successful lighting line of table lamps and chandeliers after World War II.
Throughout the 20th century, Salviati participated in several Venice Biennale exhibitions from 1958 to 1972. In 1962, the company was awarded the Compasso d’Oro prize for the Marco vase, designed by architect Sergio Asti.
Since its acquisition by the Umana group in 2015, Salviati has collaborated with numerous renowned designers such as Federico Peri, Davide Bruno, Renzo Stellon, Alberto Lago and Anna Gili. Salviati's pieces can be found in the collections of the Museum August Kestner in Hanover, Germany, the Museum of Modern Art and Corning Museum of Glass in New York, the Eretz Museum in Tel Aviv, Israel, and the Murano Glass Museum in Venice.
On 1stDibs, discover a range of antique, vintage and new Salviati glass that includes bowls, vases, lighting and more.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Great Barrington, MA
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
- Pair of Hand Blown Salviati Venetian Swan Figural CandlesticksBy SalviatiLocated in Great Barrington, MAThis pair of hand blown candlesticks are made of a very unusual green with a subtle iridescence featuring a charming swan connector who is e...Category
Early 20th Century Italian Candle HoldersMaterials
- Pair of Salviati Venetian Hand Blown Candlesticks with Bobeches-By SalviatiLocated in Great Barrington, MAThe vibrant color of these turquoise hand blown candlesticks make a bold statement on a table or in a display. Made by Salviati in the 1920'...Category
Early 20th Century Italian Candle HoldersMaterials
- Set of Four Lobmeyr Hand-Painted & Gilded Polychrome Enamel CandlesticksBy J.L LobmeyrLocated in Great Barrington, MAIt is rare to find any candlesticks in this pattern, made by Lobmeyr but here is a set of four. Perfect for a large table, each one is hand blown crystal, panel cut and uniquely hand...Category
Early 20th Century Austrian GlassMaterials
- Pair of Salviati Venetian Hand Blown Vases-Swan ConnectorsBy SalviatiLocated in Great Barrington, MABeautiful pair of handblown tall trumpet vases with mottled pink and gold ground and applied rigaree of clear glass with gold leaf inclusions. The gold embellished swan connectors ar...Category
Early 20th Century Italian Vases
- Pair of Moser Hand Blown Crystal Candlesticks with Enamel and Gilt DecorationBy Moser GlassworksLocated in Great Barrington, MATall and elegant, this pair of hand blown crystal candlesticks were made by Moser in the late 19th century. They are panel cut with intaglio cutting on the base and candle-cups as we...Category
Antique Late 19th Century Austrian GlassMaterials
- Hand-Blown Salviati French Venetian Stemware Service with Pink Figural SwansBy SalviatiLocated in Great Barrington, MAWhat an amazing Venetian Murano stemware service, ready for your next event in the bright and Classic French blue. Each piece is handblown in an opt...Category
Vintage 1920s Italian GlassMaterials
- Rare Victorian Firescreen with Taxidermy Hummingbirds by Henry WardBy Henry WardLocated in Amsterdam, NLEngland, third quarter of the 19th century On two scrolling foliate feet with casters, above which a rectangular two-side glazed frame, with on top a two-sided shield with initial...Category
Antique Mid-19th Century English High Victorian TaxidermyMaterials
Other$215,383 Sale Price33% Off
- Vintage Single Salviati Venetian/Murano Floral Green Glass CandlestickBy SalviatiLocated in Philadelphia, PAA fine Venetian glass candlestick. Attributed to Salviati. In lime green (almost uranium colored) glass with gold foil inclusion...Category
20th Century Italian Renaissance Revival CandlesticksMaterials
- Meissen Porcelain Dinner Service, 189 PiecesBy Meissen PorcelainLocated in New Orleans, LAComprising an incredible 189 pieces, this impressive Meissen porcelain dinner service is an exceptional example of the firm's prized dinnerware. The bodies are crafted in the New Brandenstein relief pattern designed by Johann Friedrich Eberlein in 1744, which gives this service a distinct Rococo feel. The hand-painted enamel detailing is known as the Flowers and Insects motif and is executed with stunning vibrancy and intricacy. Since each piece is executed entirely by hand, no two pieces bear the exact same adornments.
Similar, single dining pieces are featured in Meissen Domestic Porcelain by Günther Sterba, 1991, figures 83 through 86.
The pieces bear the Meissen blue crossed swords that date this service between 1850/60-1924.
97 dinner plates, 9 1/2" diameter
44 luncheon plates, 8" diameter
21 soup bowls, 9 1/2" diameter
13 dessert plates, 5 3/4" diameter
2 oval serving platters, 22 1/4" wide x 16 3/4" deep
2 vegetable dishes with lids, 11" diameter
a round bowl, 15 1/4" diameter
a round serving platter, 13 1/4" diameter
an oblong serving platter, 21 1/2" wide x 10 1/4" deep
an oblong platter, 23" wide x 11" deep
an oval platter, 18 1/4" wide x 14" deep
an oval platter, 20 1/4" wide x 15 1/2" deep
a large soup tureen
a large soup tureen platter
a small soup tureen
a small ladleCategory
Antique 19th Century German Rococo PorcelainMaterials
Porcelain$248,500 / set
- Antique Venetian Murano Glass StemwareBy Barovier&TosoLocated in Palm Springs, CABeautiul set of Venetian stemware comprising 2 sets of 4 goblets, sherry glasses and coupes. Sold as a set of four. Gold inclusions in clear glass with applied pink glass rosettes. ...Category
Early 20th Century Italian Hollywood Regency TablewareMaterials
Murano Glass$2,500 / set
- Exhibition Austrian Neo-Baroque Carved Mahogany Bed, circa 1890Located in London, GBAn Exceptional Exhibition Austrian Neo-Baroque Carved Mahogany Bed The Foot and Headboard Finely Carved With Figural Crests and Inset with Gilt-...Category
Antique Late 19th Century Austrian Baroque Revival Beds and Bed FramesMaterials
- Set of Four Mid-Century Venetian Italian Glass CandlesticksBy SalviatiLocated in Philadelphia, PAA set of four Venetian glass candlesticks. They consist of light amber glass with gold fleck inclusions with a left handed swirl and...Category
Mid-20th Century Italian Mid-Century Modern GlassMaterials
- 3 Hand Blown Romanian Artisan Art Glass Painted Candlesticks Taper Trio MomoLocated in Dayton, OHSet of three vintage hand blown and painted glass candlesticks in red and gold, and gold and black, made in Romania. Measure: 14".Category
Late 20th Century Egyptian Revival CandlesticksMaterials
Blown Glass, Paint
- Set of Five Salviati Venetian Hand Blown Murano Glass Bowls Art Deco Italy 1920sBy SalviatiLocated in West Hartford, CTThis is a set of rare, hand blown Venetian bowls made by Salviati, circa 1920s. They feature a figural golden yellow swan connector and applied appli...Category
Vintage 1920s Italian Art Deco GlassMaterials
- Set of 4 Salviati Venetian Glass Hexagonal TumblersBy SalviatiLocated in Dallas, TXPresenting a gorgeous set of 4 Salviati Venetian glass hexagonal tumblers. Made in Venice, Italy circa 1930 by the World famous Salviati Glassw...Category
Early 20th Century Italian Art Deco GlassMaterials
Blown Glass$420 Sale Price / set47% Off
- Set of 58 Pieces of Opalescent Salviati Venetian StemwareBy SalviatiLocated in Boston, MASet of 58 pieces of opalescent Salviati Venetian Stemware. The stemware was hand blown with the goal to make it pick up all the colors of the rain...Category
Vintage 1920s Italian Other GlassMaterials
- Artisan Set of Hand Blown Leopard Glass Candleholders with Natural CandlewaxLocated in Voorburg, NLElegant set of three candleholders in Leopard style designed by the Elements collection and made by Henry Dean in Belgium. The glass of these candleholde...Category
2010s Belgian Modern More Candle HoldersMaterials
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery