Pair of Vintage Fireside Ladderback Chairs by Gio Ponti for Casa e Giardino
View Similar Items
Pair of Vintage Fireside Ladderback Chairs by Gio Ponti for Casa e Giardino
- Dimensions:Height: 40.5 in (102.87 cm)Width: 17 in (43.18 cm)Depth: 18 in (45.72 cm)Seat Height: 11.5 in (29.21 cm)
- Sold As:Set of 2
- Style:Mid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:circa 1939
- Condition:Replacements made: Three of the plugs which cover screws on the backs were missing and replacements were made to match the original. These were made by our experienced staff. Wear consistent with age and use. They are in fabulous original condition with a lovely age patina to the wood and the rush seats. No outstanding flaws. Three of the plugs which cover screws on the backs were missing and replacements were made to match the original. Please see photos.
- Seller Location:Topeka, KS
- Reference Number:Seller: 414-SEA-3141stDibs: LU1873319935322
About the Designer
Ponti (1891–1979) designed thousands of furnishings and products — from cabinets, lamps and chairs to ceramics and coffeemakers — and his buildings, including the brawny Pirelli Tower (1956) in his native Milan, and the castle-like Denver Art Museum (1971), were erected in 14 countries. Through Domus, the magazine he founded in 1928, Ponti brought attention to virtually every significant movement and creator in the spheres of modern art and design.
The questing intelligence Ponti brought to Domus is reflected in his work: as protean as he was prolific, Ponti’s style can’t be pegged to a specific genre. In the 1920s, as artistic director for the Tuscan porcelain maker Richard Ginori, he fused old and new; his ceramic forms were modern, but decorated with motifs from Roman antiquity. In pre-war Italy, modernist design was encouraged, and after the conflict, Ponti — along with designers such as Carlo Mollino, Franco Albini, Marco Zanuso — found a receptive audience for their novel, idiosyncratic work. Ponti’s typical furniture forms from the period, such as the wedge-shaped Distex chair, are simple, gently angular, and colorful; equally elegant and functional. In the 1960s and ’70s, Ponti’s style evolved again as he explored biomorphic shapes, and embraced the expressive, experimental designs of Ettore Sottsass Jr., Joe Colombo and others.
His signature furniture piece — the one by which he is represented in the collections of the Museum of Modern Art in New York, Germany’s Vitra Design Museum and elsewhere — is the sleek Superleggera chair, produced by Cassina starting in 1957. (The name translates as “superlightweight” — advertisements featured a model lifting it with one finger.) Ponti had a playful side, best shown in a collaboration he began in the late 1940s with the graphic artist Piero Fornasetti. Ponti furnishings were decorated with bright finishes and Fornasetti's whimsical lithographic transfer prints of things such as butterflies, birds or flowers; the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts possesses a 1950 secretary from their Architetturra series, which feature case pieces covered in images of building interiors and facades. The grandest project Ponti and Fornasetti undertook, however, lies on the floor of the Atlantic Ocean: the interiors of the luxury liner Andrea Doria, which sank in 1956.
Widely praised retrospectives at the Queens Museum of Art in 2001 and at the Design Museum London in 2002 sparked a renewed interest in Ponti among modern design aficionados. (Marco Romanelli’s monograph written for the London show, offers a fine overview of Ponti’s work.) Today, a wide array of Ponti’s designs are snapped up by savvy collectors who want to give their homes a touch of Italian panache and effortless chic.
Find a range of Gio Ponti furniture on 1stDibs.
- Vintage Modern Bulldog Armed Side Chairs by McCoy & Fahnstrom for Knoll Set 12By Michael McCoy, KnollLocated in Topeka, KSHandsome vintage Modern discontinued Bulldog Armed Side Chairs by Michael McCoy & Dale Fahnstrom for Knoll with black cantilever bases and blue fabric 12 total. Beautiful condition, keeping in mind that these are vintage and not new so will have signs of use and wear. There are minor scuffs on all frames and arms. Please see photos and zoom in for details. We attempt to portray any imperfections. Circa, 6/23/2000. NOTE: We are selling these chairs as a set however, if you love them and would like fewer, we may consider entertaining that request. Just let us know. Doughnuts, Roses, Cookies, Eggs, and these Awesome Knoll armchairs… Just a few things that are better by the DOZEN! That’s right! We have TWELVE of these wonderful Bulldog Armed side chairs by Knoll for you!! They were designed in 1990 by award winning designers Michael McCoy & Dale Fahnstrom and discontinued in 2009. These are labeled 6/23/2000. They are comprised of black finished steel cantilever frames with black plastic arm covers, molded plastic scoop-back seats, and they wear a fabulous blue nubby textured fabric. They have an ergonomically thought-out design, ensuring comfort and timeless style sure to withstand the hands of time. They are ready to grace your home or office with their iconic awesome-ness! Of course, they would be perfect surrounding a fabulous conference table at the office, but they would also be wonderful at a dining table in your Modern dining room, at a game table in the family room, or maybe you need extra seating for times you encounter those unexpected guests? Comfort, Style, Versatility, two AWARD WINNING designers, and they’re by Knoll… an exemplary manufacturer. These chairs have everything you’ve been looking for. As a designer, Michael McCoy is best known for his work with furniture manufacturer Knoll International. Along with Dale Fahnstrom, Fahnstrom/McCoy Design Consultants designed the 5-time award-winning Bulldog chair. The Bulldog is Knoll's best-selling office chair to date. Michael McCoy along with his wife Katherine McCoy was the recipient of the Smithsonian’s first Design Minds National Design Award. His designs include the Horizon LED Light for Humanscale with Peter Stathis, the million selling “Bulldog Chair” for Knoll and the Place Airport Seating for Arconas with Curt Fentress. He has received many international design awards for his work for Humanscale, Knoll, Philips, Steelcase and NEC including Germany’s Red Dot Award, the IDSA Gold Award, The Spark Award, London’s FX Award, the ID Magazine Best of Category, the IBD Award and The Interiors Magazine Best Office Design. He was principal in McCoy & McCoy Inc. in Colorado and Fahnstrom/McCoy Design Consultants in Chicago, he was Co-chair of the Design Department at Cranbrook Academy of Art for 23 years. His strategies for interpreting technology and information through design form have been widely published and he lectures internationally on the subject. Dale Fahnstrom graduated with a BFA and MFA in Industrial Design, in 1962 and 1965, from the University of Illinois, Champaign. Early in his career Fahnstrom was product designer for Unimark International. He co-founded the Chicago design firms Source, Inc. and Design Planning Group, and designed products for firms such as Knoll International, Philips Electronics N.V., Steelcase, Brayton International, Vecta Contract...Category
21st Century and Contemporary American Modern Side ChairsMaterials
- Vintage Spanish Revival Oak Pair of Chairs with Tooled Cognac Faux Leather SeatBy Artes De Mexico Internacionales, SALocated in Topeka, KSFabulous vintage Spanish Revival oak pair of chairs with tooled cognac faux leather or vinyl seat backs in the style of Artes De Mexico Internationales. Beautiful condition, keeping in mind that these are vintage and not new so will have signs of use and wear. There are a couple of tiny nicks in the vinyl of one of the chairs. Please see photos and zoom in for details. We attempt to portray any imperfections. Circa, 1960-1970’S. Sillas fabulosas POR DOS! …If you no hablo espanol that means, “Fabulous chairs TIMES TWO!!” in Spanish!! Just take another look at these beautiful vintage oak Spanish Revival pair of chairs in the style of Artes De Mexico!!! They wear a gorgeous cognac or saddle colored faux leather fabric featuring lovely, tooled inside backs and large brass nail head designs on the sides of the seat cushions and backs, and an intricately carved designs on fronts of the high stretcher under the seats… WOW!! They are completely stunning!! These chairs will be perfect in your Hacienda styled home or with your modern country, Rustic, Southwestern, Mediterranean, Industrial, or eclectic designed living space. They will make wonderful chairs for your game table, perfect seating in your bedroom or sitting area, or if you just need fabulous extra seating in your living room. Artes de Mexico Internacionales, SA imported artisan handmade piece from Mexico to the US exclusively for sale to the trade. FYI to the trade means they sold only to architects and interior designers and not to the public. This makes their pieces more exclusive so harder to find. In addition to the tag, some were signed by the artists. So, do not confuse them with Arte de Mexico, which is a Los Angeles based shop selling, although beautiful pieces as well, production pieces to the public. These Spanish Revival chairs...Category
Mid-20th Century Unknown Spanish Colonial Side ChairsMaterials
Faux Leather, Oak
- Vintage Modern White Molded Plastic Chairs Style of Kartell 4850 by CastiglioniBy KartellLocated in Topeka, KSHandsome vintage pair of modern white molded plastic chairs in the style of Kartell’s 4850 chair designed by Giorgina Castiglioni, Geiorgio Gaviraghi, and...Category
Vintage 1970s American Modern Side ChairsMaterials
- Pair of Hibriten Blackened Wood and Faux Leather Mid-Century Modern ChairsBy HibritenLocated in Topeka, KSHandsome pair of Hibriten Chair Co. side chairs. Their great geometric wooden frames have been blackened with dye and they retain their original greenish gold faux leather upholstery...Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Side ChairsMaterials
Faux Leather, Wood
- Vintage Modern Chrome & Brown Chenille Cantilever Chair in Style Brno by KnollBy KnollLocated in Topeka, KSHandsome vintage modern chrome & brown chenille cantilever chair in the style of Brno by Knoll. Beautiful condition, keeping in mind that this is vintage and not new so will have signs of use and wear. There is some minor discoloration on the back of one chrome foot and there is some fading on the back and one side. Please see photos and zoom in for details. We attempt to portray any imperfections. Circa, 1970’s. Brown Chenille Chair Extraordinaire!!! This is a modern chair in the style of the Brno style for Knoll but with a modern flair. It is comprised of a sultry brown chenille fabric with button detail on both the back and seat cushions. The arms and frame are hollow straight rectangular chrome bars with decorative studs on the back bar. We say this chair is mostly modern...Category
Late 20th Century Unknown Modern Side ChairsMaterials
- Vintage Needlepoint Director’s Chair Folding Black Brown White GeometricLocated in Topeka, KSAwesome black wood folding director’s chair with a handmade black, brown, and white geometric pattern needlepoint sling seat and back. It is in wonderful vintage condition. The wood has a new coat of black paint. The needlepoint is all intact and has been carefully cleaned. Please see photos, circa 1960s-1970s. Now this is a director’s chair!! I fell totally in love...Category
Mid-20th Century Unknown Campaign Side ChairsMaterials
- Gio Ponti For Casa E Giardino Fireside Side Accent Chair Black Rush Seat 1930'sBy Casa e Giardino, Gio PontiLocated in Wayne, NJBlack fireside chair by Gio Ponti for Casa E Giardino , Italy. Wood High back ladder chair with rush seating . Marked Made in Italy. If you are in the New Jersey, New York City Metro...Category
Vintage 1930s Italian Mid-Century Modern Side ChairsMaterials
Wood$2,800 Sale Price / item20% Off
- Pair of Fireside Chairs by Gio Ponti, circa 1939By Casa e Giardino, Gio PontiLocated in Rotterdam, NLPair of fireside chairs by Gio Ponti for Casa e Giardino, Italy circa 1939. Solid walnut structure and rush seating. High- ladder back in ...Category
20th Century European Mid-Century Modern Side ChairsMaterials
Rush, Walnut$6,953 / set
- Pair Of Fireside Chairs By Gio Ponti For Casa E GiardinoBy Gio PontiLocated in London, LondonPair of fireside chairs By Gio Ponti For Casa e Giardino Rush seats High backs Seat height 30cm Italy Mid 20th century.Category
Mid-20th Century Italian Mid-Century Modern Slipper ChairsMaterials
- elegant gio ponti lounge chairs for casa e giardinoBy Casa e Giardino, Gio PontiLocated in Munich, DEwonderful pair of very cosy gio ponti lounge chairs. very low, but with great comfort. and such beauties....Category
Vintage 1950s Italian Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Gio Ponti, Casa E Giardino, a Pair of Lounge Chairs, Reupholstered, 1940sBy Gio Ponti, Casa e GiardinoLocated in Odense, DKA magnificent pair of curved club chairs, reupholstered in a luxurious vintage fabric stored from the 1980s. This nicely patterned fabric really complements the soft curves. Made in ...Category
Early 20th Century Italian Art Deco Chaise LonguesMaterials
- Pair of Occasional Chairs Attributed to Gio PontiBy Gio PontiLocated in Sag Harbor, NYStunning pair of occasional chairs attributed to Gio Ponti newly re-upholstered in oyster color calfskin leather contrasting beautifully with ...Category
Vintage 1950s Italian Mid-Century Modern ChairsMaterials
Leather, Wood$11,100 / set
Recently ViewedView All
Barnaba Fornasetti’s Hallucinatory House Has His Father’s Spirit
Behind a nondescript facade in northeastern Milan is the magical residence of Barnaba Fornasetti. It's a shrine to the style developed by his design-legend father, which still defies categorization.
Billy Cotton Layers His Interiors with Lived-In Comfort
The Brooklyn-based designer is adept at styles ranging from austere to over-the-top, espousing an architectural, detail-oriented approach also evident in his line of furniture and lighting.