- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Mid-Century Modern Scandinavian 3 Seat Mustard Sofa Couch by DUX
- CreatorDux of Sweden (Cabinetmaker)
- DimensionsHeight: 25 in. (63.5 cm)Width: 82 in. (208.28 cm)Depth: 32 in. (81.28 cm)Seat Height: 17 in. (43.18 cm)
- StyleMid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacture1960s
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use. Minor fading. Original Vintage Condition.
- Seller LocationBROOKLYN, NY
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU1793226468262
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingShips From: BROOKLYN, NY
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 1 day of delivery.
About the Cabinetmaker
Dux of Sweden
Today, Swedish manufacturer DUX’s most popular furniture lines — as well as the furnishings created by its first president, Folke Ohlsson — are synonymous with the work that vintage mid-century modern design obsessives love. Also important, the brand is known for some of the most commonplace means of furniture shipping and production in the modern era.
In Sweden, Studio Ljungs Industrier AB is the large family-owned parent company of Duxiana (in America, DUX). Initially a purveyor of bedding that is today celebrated for its ergonomically guided designs, Ljungs Industrier was founded by entrepreneur (and chocolate maker) Efraim Ljung in 1926. In 1950, Folke Ohlsson, then leading Ljungs Industrier’s design team, decamped to the States to explore how he could expand DUX’s business, which at that point included a wide range of furniture. Ohlsson established a DUX office not long after he arrived in California, first in San Francisco and later in Burlingame.
On the West Coast, the booming postwar American market was eager to embrace DUX’s affordable and practical bedroom furnishings, tables, armchairs and other seating. Characterized by sleek walnut and teak frames and low-slung silhouettes, the brand’s designs were emblematic of a generation of Scandinavian modernism that had gained popularity owing to visionaries such as product designer and architect Greta Magnusson-Grossman, who arrived in California from Sweden a decade prior to Ohlsson, and Finn Juhl, who created a Danish modern line for Michigan’s Baker Furniture Company in 1951.
DUX frequently collaborated with top-tier furniture design talent — among them Bruno Mathsson, Edward Wormley and Alf Svensson, a chief designer in the Malmö, Sweden, office of Ljungs Industrier — expanding the brand’s portfolio and establishing credibility as a design source. Ohlsson’s own designs, such as his comfortable leather lounges and wool-upholstered reclining rocking chairs, continue to be among the brand’s most desirable — and most imitated — however.
In 1949, DUX put into practice an idea that Ohlsson patented for the so-called “knock-down,” or “KD,” chair, a term referencing easy, flat-pack assembly. It saved DUX space in warehouses and money on transportation and was a concept that would provide inspiration to hundreds of subsequent companies — most notably fellow Swedish brand IKEA.
- Vintage 1960s Danish Three-Seat Sofa Model GE-300/3 by Hans Wegner for GETAMABy GETAMA, Hans J. WegnerLocated in BROOKLYN, NYVintage 1960s Danish three-seat sofa Rare model GE300/3 designed by Hans Wegner for GETAMA Manufacturer solid light oak solid wood frame and legs with original patina has original sp...Category
Vintage 1960s Danish Mid-Century Modern SofasMaterials
- Mid-Century Modern Walnut Dining Table by Paul McCobb for Calvin 2 LeavesBy Calvin Furniture, Paul McCobbLocated in BROOKLYN, NYA Mid-Century Modern walnut extension dining table designed by Paul McCobb for Calvin Furniture. The table features dark walnut wood grain and aluminum stretchers. The table is in or...Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern Dining Room TablesMaterials
- Mid-Century Saarinen Turned Wood Plates and ChargerBy Eero SaarinenLocated in BROOKLYN, NYNice grouping of five Saarinen plates. Turned birch plywood. Made in Finland by Keuruu. Smaller plates 11.75" Larger plate 17.75''.Category
Vintage 1960s Finnish Mid-Century Modern More Dining and EntertainingMaterials
- Mid-Century Verner Panton Pantonova Wire Cubes for Fritz HansenBy Verner Panton, Fritz HansenLocated in BROOKLYN, NYRare Mid-Century Verner Panton Pantonova wire cube for Fritz Hansen. They can be used as a stool or side table. Multiples can be configured into a wall unit. Priced per sectionCategory
Vintage 1970s Danish Mid-Century Modern BookcasesMaterials
- Mid-Century Isamu Noguchi Hawkeye Measured Time Clock and TimerBy Isamu NoguchiLocated in BROOKLYN, NYNoguchi's first mass-produced design, completed circa 1932, predating his design for the "Radio Nurse" baby monitor by about five years. Produced by Stevenson Manufacturing...Category
Vintage 1930s American Mid-Century Modern Table Clocks and Desk ClocksMaterials
- Midcentury American Studio Mirror by Dean SantnerBy Dean SantnerLocated in BROOKLYN, NYFor your consideration is this beautifully sculpted mirror by Dean Santner. Master Craftsman Dean Santner designs are part of the American Modern Craft movement along side Wendell Ca...Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Wall MirrorsMaterials
You May Also Like
Vintage 1950s Brazilian Mid-Century Modern Sofas
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Sofas
2010s Dutch Sofas
Mid-20th Century Unknown Mid-Century Modern Sofas
20th Century Sofas
Vintage 1970s Italian Mid-Century Modern Sofas
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern Sofas
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Sofas
Vintage 1960s Scandinavian Scandinavian Modern Sofas
Vintage 1950s Italian Mid-Century Modern Sofas
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Insured Global Delivery