- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Pipsan Saarinen & J. Robert F. Swanson, Side Tables, Steel, Pine Ficks Reed 1949
- DimensionsHeight: 18 in (45.72 cm)Width: 22 in (55.88 cm)Depth: 17.5 in (44.45 cm)
- Sold AsSet of 2
- StyleMid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacture1950
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use. Minor losses. Both with lively patina to wood and metal, a few small chips.
- Seller LocationWest Palm Beach, FL
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU3228115644022
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: West Palm Beach, FL
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
About the Manufacturer
Somewhat of an overlooked icon of American design, Ficks Reed was founded by Louis Ficks in 1885 as the National Carriage and Reed Company, a New York purveyor of wicker baby carriages. By the turn of the century, however, the company had moved to Cincinnati, Ohio, and, under the auspices of Ficks Reed, began manufacturing furniture with wicker, rattan and bamboo.
Over the coming decades, Ficks Reed would benefit from an increased interest in Asian imports, as evidenced in everything from the growing popularity of chinoiserie wallpaper and Chinese porcelain to the Japanese influence in Frank Lloyd Wright’s modern architecture.
The brand was also bolstered by partnerships with several prominent architects and designers throughout the 20th century, including Paul László, Pipsan Saarinen, John B. Wisner, Paul T. Frankl and Dorothy Draper.
Each Ficks Reed partner brought their unique sensibility to the designs — Saarinen’s had skeletal frames while Draper, a largely forgotten decorator and pioneer of the Hollywood Regency style, favored more ornate detailing; László created low-slung seats — but all were rendered in the company’s signature wicker and bamboo. Thanks in large part to the Draper relationship, Ficks Reed furniture has long been a fixture at The Greenbrier and Colony hotels, as well as other luxury properties including the Four Seasons, Ritz Carlton resorts and The Breakers in Palm Beach. In 2006, Draper protégé Carleton Varney continued his mentor’s legacy by debuting a new 20-piece collection for Ficks Reed based on her original designs.
A recent resurgence in the popularity of wicker and rattan has given way to newfound demand for Ficks Reed furniture in the secondary market, where original vintage pieces are often refinished, repainted or lacquered to further underscore the textural detail of their bamboo and rattan frames.
- Pipsan Saarinen, Sofa, White Fabric, Rope, Steel, Pine Ficks Reed, 1949By Eva-Lisa (Pipsan) Saarinen Swanson, Ficks Reed, J. Robert F. SwansonLocated in West Palm Beach, FLA sofa designed by husband and wife duo Pipsan Saarinen Swanson & J. Robert F. Swanson. Designed by their firm Swanson and Associates as part of the “Sol-Air” line for Ficks Reed Com...Category
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Ficks Reed, Lounge Chairs, Bamboo, Rattan, Fabric, C. 1950sBy Ficks ReedLocated in West Palm Beach, FLA pair of rattan, bamboo and fabric lounge chairs designed and produced by Ficks Reed Company, Cincinnati, USA, c. 1950s.Category
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
Rattan, Fabric, Bamboo
- Jean Pierre Bernard, Side Tables, Steel, Haitian, 1960sBy Harvey ProbberLocated in West Palm Beach, FLA pair of two steel side tables / end tables, produced by Jean Pierre Bernard. Haiti, 1960s. Acquired by Harvey Probber Furniture.Category
Vintage 1960s French Mid-Century Modern StoolsMaterials
- Swedish Craft, Farmers Low Table or Bench, Pine, Sweden, c. 1900Located in West Palm Beach, FLA pine low table or bench designed and produced in Sweden, c. 1900.Category
Antique Early 1900s Swedish Scandinavian Modern Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
- Roland Wilhelmsson, Studio Coffee Table or Bench, Pine, Ågesta, Sweden, 1973By Roland WilhelmssonLocated in West Palm Beach, FLA coffee table or bench, designed and produced by Roland Wilhelmsson in his studio in Ågesta, Sweden. Model "Sink". Labeled and hand signed, dated June -73. This highly functiona...Category
Vintage 1970s Swedish Scandinavian Modern Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
- Modernist Designer, Side Tables / Occasional Tables, Metal, America, 1970sBy Isamu NoguchiLocated in West Palm Beach, FLA pair of modernist side tables / occasional tables. By an unknown designer, America, 1970s. Other designers of the period include Isamu Noguchi, Pierre Jeanneret, Jean Prouvé and...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Side TablesMaterials
- Pair of Ficks Reed Attributed Reed Bamboo End Side Tabled Stands Mid-CenturyBy Ficks Reed, McGuireLocated in Rockaway, NJPair of Ficks Reed attributed reed bamboo end side tabled stands mid-century.Category
20th Century American Mid-Century Modern End TablesMaterials
- Handsome John Wisner Ficks Reed Asian Modern Rattan Bamboo Tile Top Side TableBy Ficks ReedLocated in Pemberton, NJHandsome John Wisner for Ficks Reed Asian modern tile top side table. This piece features a white tile top framed with solid mahogany with applied Chinese character and fan decoratio...Category
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern End TablesMaterials
- Pair of Ficks Reed Faux Bamboo Side TablesLocated in Stamford, CTPair of off-white Ficks Reed side tables with glass tops.Category
Vintage 1970s Hollywood Regency Side Tables$2,600 / set
- Pr Mid Century Art Deco Bamboo Step End Tables by Ficks ReedBy Ficks ReedLocated in New York, NYChic pair of bamboo step end tables by noted the American furniture company Ficks Reed. Each table has a banded bamboo base, with three graduated tiered shelves. Known for top qualit...Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern End TablesMaterials
- Scandinavian Pine Wood Bench or Side Table, Sweden, 1940sLocated in Praha 2, Hlavní město PrahaScandinavian pine wood bench or side table, made in Sweden, 1940s. This rectangular bench or side table is modest, featuring a very classic look and feel designed by a Swedish cabin...Category
Vintage 1940s Swedish Scandinavian Modern BenchesMaterials
- Set of Three Pine Benches or Side Tables in Campaign StyleLocated in Maastricht, NLA set of three pine benches or side tables in the Campaign style known from works my Charlotte Perriand, Pierre Chapo and Roland Wilhelmsson. They stand on thick round legs and hav...Category
Vintage 1960s European Campaign BenchesMaterials