- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
F/W 1995 Gianni Versace Couture Black Sequin Medusa Button Pant Suit
About the Item
- Dimensions:Marked Size: 42IT/8US (EU)
- Place of Origin:Italy
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. Light wear throughout, very few missing, cracked, chipped sequins - not noticeable when worn.
- Seller Location:Philadelphia, PA
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU2388217889172
The signature extravagance of legendary fashion designer Gianni Versace — forever aligned with glamour, sex, celebrity and spectacle — can overshadow the Italian couturier’s broad and deep engagement with history and culture. More than any designer before him, Versace mined celebrity, music and Pop art for inspiration, and his subversive, maximalist and unabashedly seductive designs infused high fashion with an entirely new ethos.
“I don’t believe in good taste,” Versace once explained. Instead, he had a sexy good time with fashion — as he did with life. Today, vintage Gianni Versace clothing, handbags and other accessories look astonishingly fresh and freshly relevant.
Gianni Versace was born in Calabria, Italy. His mother was a successful dressmaker who employed more than 40 seamstresses. As a child, little Gianni marveled at her workshop, which would become a university of sorts, where he learned the exceptional construction techniques that were at the foundation of his creative expression. In 1972, at age 25, he moved to Milan to work in fashion. He launched his first collection — and his label — in 1978, with his older brother Santo managing the business concerns. Soon, sister Donatella, whom Gianni dressed and took to discos when she was still a child, joined the family venture, where she had a creative role and managed enormously popular ready-to-wear lines such as Versus.
Vintage Versace has become catnip for modern fashion enthusiasts who seek out the now-iconic house codes that originated in the designs of the 1980s and 1990s. His glamorous and seductive apparel — the clingy skirts and slender, strappy party dresses, as well as the erotic magazine ads that publicized them — looms large, but Versace’s art and historical influences were also vast.
Versace was an art collector, and he took on commissions to create costumes for theatrical performances during the 1980s and spoke of looking to numerous cultures for inspiration. The New York Times noted in 1997 that the fashion industry “is now driven by contemporary culture because Mr. Versace made it that way.” Insiders consider his 1991/1992 Autumn/Winter runway show — which featured supermodels Christy Turlington, Cindy Crawford, Naomi Campbell and Linda Evangelista lip-synching George Michael’s “Freedom” — as the moment when the two worlds of fashion and pop culture became one, changing both forever.
Versace's adventurous spirit of design resulted in his creating jewel-toned prints rooted in Grecian motifs, Etruscan symbols, the Italian Baroque and Andy Warholʼs Marilyn Monroe. There were slinky dresses in Oroton, his patented chain-mail textile that draped like satin, and leather bondage ensembles. Sex sold, for both women and men. Wrote the late curator Richard Martin, “[Versace] became the standard-bearer of gay men’s fashion because he eschewed decorum and designed for desire.”
Following Versace’s tragic murder in 1997, Donatella took over the role of artistic director and continued to evolve the house codes with a twist of her feminine and feminist perspective. Today, Santo Versace is chief executive officer of Versace and Donatella is its chief creative officer.
Browse an extraordinary collection of vintage Gianni Versace evening dresses, handbags, day dresses and more on 1stDibs.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Philadelphia, PA
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 1 day of delivery.
- F/W 1992 Gianni Versace Red Leopard Print Skirt SuitBy Gianni Versace Couture, Gianni VersaceLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a classic red leopard print skirt suit from the F/W 1992 Gianni Versace collection, designed by Gianni Versace. If this isn't a po...Category
1990s Italian Skirt Suits
- NWT S/S 1991 Gianni Versace Couture Orange Metallic Runway Skirt SuitBy Gianni Versace, Gianni Versace CoutureLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a bright orange runway skirt suit masterpiece, designed by Gianni Versace. This skirt suit was debuted as look 11 on the Gianni Versace S/S 1991 runway. Metalli...Category
1990s Italian Suits, Outfits and Ensembles$1,996 Sale Price20% Off
- 1997 Gianni Versace Couture Lavender Pinstripe Monochromatic Wool PantsuitBy Gianni Versace Couture, Gianni VersaceLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a beautiful lavender purple pinstripe Gianni Versace pantsuit, designed by Gianni Versace. From 1997, this fabulous set is ma...Category
1990s Italian Trouser Pant Suits$1,036 Sale Price20% Off
- S/S 1994 Gianni Versace Couture Medusa Safety Pin Blazer RunwayBy Gianni Versace, Gianni Versace CoutureLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: an iconic Gianni Versace design. This jacket was debuted on the S/S 1994 runway as look 77 worn by model Veronica Webb. This collection marked the release of Ve...Category
1990s Italian Blazers$5,400 Sale Price20% Off
- F/W 1991 Gianni Versace Couture Black Gold Baroque Print Silk Pleated Skirt SuitBy Gianni Versace Couture, Gianni VersaceLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a bold baroque print Gianni Versace Couture skirt set, designed by Gianni Versace for his Fall/Winter 1991 collection. This stunning set is constructed of silk ...Category
1990s Italian Skirt Suits$2,796 Sale Price20% Off
- F/W 1995 Gianni Versace Couture Runway Red Bouclé Tweed Skirt Suit DocumentedBy Gianni Versace Couture, Gianni VersaceLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a beautiful red and black tweed Gianni Versace Couture skirt set, designed by Gianni Versace. From the Fall/Winter 1995 collection, this set debuted as look num...Category
1990s Italian Skirt Suits$1,459 Sale Price51% Off
- Vintage 1992 Gianni Versace Couture Documented Black Bondage Silk Leather GownBy Gianni VersaceLocated in Beverly Hills, CAAn exceptional and museum quality Gianni Versace black leather, silk & lace heavily sculpted bondage gown dating back to his 1992 fall-winter runway collection. This iconic collection, provocatively titled 'Miss S&M' definitely goes down in history as one of Gianni Versace's most recognizable looks. Versace’s fantasies came to life, fetishistic elements were worked into glamorous eveningwear, and with no small effort: Vogue said, “Getting strapped required eight hands. These high-maintenance looks were meant to be seen, not in a dungeon somewhere, but on the red carpet." As shown, this particular show-stopper of a gown, Look #62, has been worn by the likes of Christy Turlington, Tyra Banks...Category
1990s Italian Aesthetic Evening Dresses
- Vintage 1976 Sonny & Cher Documented Custom-Made Bob Mackie Sequin Gown Suit SetBy Bob MackieLocated in Beverly Hills, CAOwn a major slice of celebrity history! Two important, well-documented Sonny & Cher worn garments custom made for their 1976-77 promotional pictures and Westchester/Harrah's performances. The legendary costume designer Ret Turner...Category
1970s American Aesthetic Evening Dresses
- Atelier Versace Haute Couture magenta pink lace evening dress and purse, ss 1996By Atelier Versace, Gianni VersaceLocated in London, GB▪ Atelier Versace Haute Couture magenta pink lace evening dress and purse ▪ Corseted bodice with a built-in bodysuit ▪ Silk criss-cross shoulder straps with crystal-encrusted Medusa's ▪ Fishtail trained skirt ▪ Metallic lace with silk underlay ▪ Sold with matching lace purse...Category
1990s Italian Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Iconic Rare Thierry Mugler Ensemble SS 1996 Museum Black WhiteBy Thierry MuglerLocated in Berlin, BEThe Holy Grail Extremely rare Haute Couture collectors piece. Spring Summer Collection 1996. Similar one is currently shown at the Manfred Thierry Mugler Exhibition. Also part of the Chicago History Museum Costume Collection. I always think this is the perfect combination of Audrey Hepburn and Lady Gaga. Truly amazing dramatic black and white Thierry Mugler ensemble from 1996. A piece of fashion history. The jacket top features a fold-over collar that covers and enhances the shoulders, creating an imposing silhouette. Typical Mugler vasp waist silhouette and exeggerated hips. The black twill skirt...Category
1990s French Skirt Suits
- Iconic Museum-worthy GIANNI VERSACE Atelier Long Black DressBy VersaceLocated in Montgomery, TXGIANNI VERSACE A BLACK EVENING DRESS IN HEAVY LYCRA NET EFFECT, TULLE AND LACE BODICE WORN BY STEPHANIE SEYMOUR IN AVEDON'S AUTUMN/WINTER CAMPAIGN 1993/94. Was auctioned in 2001 on Sotheby's in NYC. Sotheby's auction item # 598 THIS AMAZING DRESS WAS DESIGNED BY GIANNI VERSACE HIMSELF and CAME FROM HIS PERSONAL ARCHIVE COLLECTION! Versace Atelier Content: 60% lana, 40% nylon Versace's phenomenal long dress makes an unforgettable statement with a striking Swarovski crystal embellished gold buttons and sheer plisse panels. Since it was runway sample it has no size. Approximately size 4. Versace at it's best! Museum worthy...Category
1990s Italian Evening Dresses
- 1 of 1 Atelier Versace S/S 2005 Gold Oroton and Blue Swarovski Chainmail TopBy Atelier VersaceLocated in Rome, IT1 of 1 Atelier Versace Metal Mesh Low cut Top from Spring/Summer 2005. Double Gold Oroton and Blue Swarovski Chainmail with internal nude corse...Category
Early 2000s Italian Tank Tops
- Gianni Versace printed silk and beaded 'Sea Shell' maxi dress, ss 1992By Gianni VersaceLocated in London, GBGianni Versace printed silk and beaded 'Sea Shell' dress. Silk crêpe sheath printed with pink and gold sea-shells and star fish, the be-jewelle...Category
1990s Italian Evening Dresses and Gowns
- New Atelier Versace F/W 1993 Sheer Black Net Embroidered Dress GownBy Atelier Versace, Gianni VersaceLocated in Montgomery, TXIconic and Rare to Find Atelier Versace Sheer Black Net Embroidered Dress Gown Fall / Winter 1993 Atelier Versace Collection Fitted sheer silhouette extending to the high hip with embroidered floral motif in a variety of braids and top stitched shoulder straps. Hanging from the fitted sheer sheath is a long skirt of rope and small thread covered balls along with geometric panels of black net embroidered. A version of this dress was worn by Donatella Versace for a dinner party on September 27, 1993 with Paul Beck. By top Model Stephanie Seymour in a image by Richard Avedon in 1993 for the Vogue magazine and fashion catalog...Category
1990s Italian Cocktail Dresses
- Sex and The City 2, Iconic John Galliano for Christian Dior Newsprint DressBy Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in New York, NYBeing offered is the iconic John Galliano for Christian Dior Autumn/Winter 2000-2001 Newsprint Dress worn by Sarah Jessica Parker and lent by Vintage Luxury N.Y. for Sex and the City 2, the movie. The iconic Dior newsprint dress...Category
Early 2000s French Cocktail Dresses
- Thierry Mugler Black Velvet Strapless GownBy Thierry MuglerLocated in Los Angeles, CAThis museum worthy dress by Thierry Mugler has the iconic bustier style top. Signs of wear inside with boning coming out in one area and a few signs of wear on the inside lining. Fro...Category
1980s French Day Dresses
- Vintage 1991 A/W GIANNI VERSACE Couture Plaid Tartan Patchwork Jacket Skirt SuitBy Gianni Versace, Gianni Versace CoutureLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage 1991 A/W GIANNI VERSACE Couture Plaid Tartan Patchwork Jacket Skirt Suit Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust, waist, hips and hems: JACKET Shoulder: 16.14 inche...Category
1990s Italian Skirt Suits
- GIANNI VERSACE COUTURE c.1980's Navy Pinstripe Jacket Trouser Pant Suit SetBy Gianni Versace Couture, Gianni VersaceLocated in Thiensville, WIGIANNI VERSACE COUTURE c.1980's Navy Pinstripe Jacket Trouser Pant Suit Set Circa: 1980’s Label(s): Gianni Versace Couture Designer: Gianni Versace Style: Structured blazer jacket; ...Category
1980s Italian Trouser Pant Suits$380 Sale Price40% Off
- Gianni Versace Couture Silk Pant Suit with Cut outs 1990sBy Gianni Versace Couture, Gianni VersaceLocated in Water Mill, NYA gorgeous black silk pant suit from Gianni Versace Couture. The jacket has a V neckline, princess seaming for a flattering fit, lightly padded shoulders, a front zipper closing, and a mesh covered wedge cut out from underarm to pocket on each side. The straight leg mid rise pants have 2 fine curved nude...Category
1990s Italian Trouser Pant Suits
- 1990s Gianni Versace Couture Yellow Baroque Skirt SuitBy Gianni Versace CoutureLocated in London, GBThis 1990s baroque trim, celestial embossed suit in sunshine yellow is unquestionably the work of Gianni Versace and hails from arguably the pinnacle of his design genius; circa 1991...Category
1990s Italian Skirt Suits
- Fall 1997 Gianni Versace Golden Coin Print SuitBy Gianni Versace Couture, Gianni VersaceLocated in Prague, CZA stunning silk blend suit with a Medusa Head and Coin Print, a fitted jacket + a mini skirt. The jacket is decorated with fabulous textile buttons with Medusa Head hardware. Size ...Category
1990s Skirt Suits
- Lace overlay pants and blouse set Gianni VersaceBy Gianni Versace Couture, Gianni VersaceLocated in Saint-Ouen-Sur-Seine, FRGold lamé Pants and blouse outfit covered with gold embroidered flower lace and inlaid with gold studs by Gianni Versace French Size 38 Italian Size...Category
1990s Italian Trouser Pant Suits
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery