- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
12 Antique English Soup Bowls, Raised Gilt Encrusted Collars and Shaped Edge
- CreatorRoyal Doulton (Manufacturer)
- DimensionsHeight: 2.0 in. (5.08 cm)Diameter: 7.8 in. (19.82 cm)
- Sold AsSet of 12
- StyleBelle Époque (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacture1900s
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use. Very Nice Antique Condition.
- Seller LocationWest Palm Beach, FL
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU1727225449492
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRates vary by destination and complexity.Ships From: West Palm Beach, FL
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 2 days of delivery.
About the Manufacturer
The redoubtable British ceramics maker Royal Doulton has long embraced popular tastes and enjoys a devoted following among aficionados of English pottery. Some are drawn to the company’s intricately decorated bone china dinner services; others are passionate collectors of Royal Doulton’s artfully hand-painted vases, bowls and figurines.
When founded in 1815 in the Lambeth section of suburban London, Doulton & Co. produced bottles and other storage containers and even sewer pipes in stoneware, a cheap but durable cousin of porcelain. Amid the Victorian era’s rising concern for hygiene, food safety and sanitation, the company flourished. And in the late 1870s Doulton expanded its business into the applied arts.
The firm took over a factory in Staffordshire, in northern England — the traditional home of British ceramics manufacturing — to produce tableware. Around the same time, Doulton opened an art-pottery studio in Lambeth, where vases, urns and other forms were decorated with painted scenic images, flowers or historical motifs. Taking a cue from the venerable Meissen porcelain workshops in Germany, Doulton artisans began crafting figurines modeled on characters from literature and theater. The firm also helped popularize Toby Jugs and other “character mugs” — handled cups shaped as the heads of figures from folklore and popular culture. King Edward VII granted the company the Royal Warrant in 1901.
Royal Doulton china will always make an elegant yet not-too-formal appearance in a traditional table setting. Prices for dinner services vary according to size, age and condition, but generally range from $2,000 to $15,000. Royal Doulton art pottery might be used by some as a bright decorative note; others collect the company’s figurines with the same interest and dedication as stamp and coin enthusiasts. A typical Toby Jug might fetch $50, while very rare figurines can sell for $7,000. Most of the finest Royal Doulton art pottery pieces sell for around $500. As you will see on these pages, few decorative-arts companies are as aesthetically and stylistically diverse as Royal Doulton. The firm truly offers something for everyone.
- By Royal DoultonLocated in West Palm Beach, FLA great set and classic shape from Royal Doulton custom ordered through the fine Gilded Age Retailer: Burley & C...Category
Vintage 1910s English Belle Époque Dinner PlatesMaterials
- By Royal DoultonLocated in West Palm Beach, FLA pretty pink set of twelve dinner plates by one of England's re known firms, Royal Doulton and custom ordered t...Category
Vintage 1910s British Dinner PlatesMaterials
- By Royal DoultonLocated in West Palm Beach, FLA stunning set of shell shaped scalloped deep bowls, perfect for so many first course, soup or dessert dishes. T...Category
Vintage 1910s English TablewareMaterials
- By Tiffany & Co.Located in West Palm Beach, FLA fantastic set of fine porcelain soup bowls by one of our favorites, Minton England. Custom ordered through the...Category
Vintage 1910s English Belle Époque TablewareMaterials
- By Royal DoultonLocated in West Palm Beach, FLAn unique two colorway pattern of light and dark green, with a profuse amount of raised tooled gilding on their ...Category
Vintage 1910s English Art Nouveau Dinner PlatesMaterials
- By George Jones & SonsLocated in West Palm Beach, FL12 fine porcelain dinner plates from George Jones, England and custom ordered through the fine retailers of Ryri...Category
Vintage 1910s English Dinner PlatesMaterials
You May Also Like
Antique 19th Century English William IV Dinner Plates
Early 20th Century English Dinner Plates
Vintage 1920s American Edwardian Dinner Plates
Vintage 1910s English Edwardian Dinner Plates
Early 20th Century British Neoclassical Dinner Plates
Antique Early 1900s English Porcelain
Early 20th Century English Dinner Plates
2010s Malaysian Modern Dinner Plates
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Insured Global Delivery