- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
1950's Pierced Brass Chandelier Hanging Light by Lightolier
About the Item
- Creator:Lightolier (Manufacturer)
- Dimensions:Height: 19 in (48.26 cm)Diameter: 17.5 in (44.45 cm)
- Style:Mid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:1950's
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use.
- Seller Location:Hudson, NY
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU879132197002
Founded in 1904 in New York and family-operated through most of its history, Lightolier was one of the pioneering American electric lighting companies, best known for its embrace of stylistic and technical innovations.
Collectors focus on vintage Lightolier lighting fixtures produced from the 1950s and into the 1970s, when an in-house design team led by Gerald Thurston — and a stellar cast of international design contributors — created an array of practical yet aesthetically lively table lamps, floor lamps, sconces and chandeliers.
Amidst the post-World War II building boom, Lightolier — the name combines “light” and “chandelier” — aggressively boosted its residential lighting division. Thurston, who was strongly influenced by the sleek designs of Gino Sarfatti and his Italian lighting firm Arteluce, towards simpler lamp designs that offered flexibility of function. His best-known designs include the Cricket task light — a lamp with an adjustable enameled metal hood that toggles on a slender bent-metal base — and the three-legged Tripod floor lamp. At the same time, Thurston had a wonderful eye for talent and sought work from some of the lesser-known greats of the era, such as Paavo Tynell, the Finnish lighting designer, who designed several brass chandeliers for Lightolier with his trademark elegant flamboyance.
And more, Thurston recognized abilities in designers not known for their work in lighting.
Edward Wormley, head of furniture design for Dunbar, produced several noteworthy chandeliers employing canisters and reflective hoods. Alvin Lustig was famed as a graphic designer. His ca. 1953 Ring ceiling fixture for Lightolier had a minimalist techno look some 30 years ahead of its time. But this was par. Designed by Michael Lax in 1964, the Lytegem high-intensity lamp — included in the permanent collection of the Museum of Modern Art — features a ball-shaped shade attached with a chromed armature to a cubic base, a form that would be widely copied in the following decade. Chandeliers designed in the early 1970s by Gaetano Sciolari, with details such as acrylic diffusers and vertical, two-bulb arms, would define the look of lighting in their day.
A look through these pages reveals just how astonishingly wide a range of lighting pieces Lightolier produced. The company never flicked off its stylistic switch.
Find a collection of vintage Lightolier lamps and other lighting fixtures on 1stDibs.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Hudson, NY
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
- Vintage 1950s Chrome Hanging ChandelierLocated in Hudson, NYA very interesting vintage 1960s hanging chandelier light fixture, with an iron frame and two rows or chromed steel hanging strips, which create a beautiful effect while concealing t...Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern Chandeliers and PendantsMaterials
- Modern 1950's Ceramic Lamp by Gerald Thurston for LightolierBy Gerald Thurston, LightolierLocated in Hudson, NYA stunning 1950s example of the rare graphite colored 'pleated' ceramic lamp by Gerald Thurston for Lightolier. Beautiful form mounted on a brass base. The amazing original shade mir...Category
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern Table Lamps
- Set of Three 1950s Enameled Ceiling Lights by LightolierBy LightolierLocated in Hudson, NYA set of three 1950s enameled ceiling lights by Lightolier, with thick glass shades with concentric design. Labelled Lightolier. In original condition with age appropriate wear.Category
Vintage 1950s American Flush Mount
- Large Italian Twelve Light Chrome and Glass Chandelier by SciolariBy Sciolari Lighting, Gaetano SciolariLocated in Hudson, NYA beautiful and stunning vintage 1960s Italian chandelier by Gaetano Sciolari, with a chrome and brushed aluminum frame, and tall glass panels. The fixture has twelve sockets, allowi...Category
Vintage 1960s Italian Chandeliers and PendantsMaterials
- Gerald Thurston for Lightolier 'Studio Porcelains' Ceramic Lamp c. 1950By Gerald Thurston, LightolierLocated in Hudson, NYa beautiful glazed ceramic table lamp designed by Gerald Thurston for Lightolier c. 1950. One of his most iconic designs, from the 'Studio Porcelains' collection, this large pleated ...Category
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern Table LampsMaterials
- Vintage 1940's Gold & Silver Leaf Ceramic Hanging LampLocated in Hudson, NYA very nice 1940's ceramic hanging lamp, in bell form, wtih a finish of silver and gold leaf, with bits of orange underneath. wonderful treatment and nice scale and form.Category
Vintage 1940s American Chandeliers and PendantsMaterials
- JENNY Large Wall Light or Sconce in Enamel & Brass by Blueprint LightingBy Stilnovo, Mathieu Matégot, Blueprint LightingLocated in New York, NYIntroducing Jenny, the latest vintage-inspired fixture from Blueprint Lighting. Named for multi-hyphenate Jenny Mollen; NYT best-selling author, actress, design enthusiast, mom of ...Category
2010s American Mid-Century Modern Wall Lights and SconcesMaterials
Brass, Bronze, Enamel, Nickel
- Sasco Semi-Flush Mount Brass Light Fixture, Custom FinishesLocated in Pound Ridge, NYThe Sasco is a versatile custom-made solid brass and glass globe light fixture, which can be mounted on the ceiling or wall. Shown here in our factory brass, an uneven unfinished br...Category
2010s American Flush MountMaterials
- Pivot Single Wall Sconce with Articulating Arms in BrassBy Christopher GentnerLocated in Chicago, ILThe Pivot LED series with its articulated arm and adjustable head this brass lamp, is not only multidimensional, but it is an ever changing line drawing that nestles into a room. Rem...Category
2010s American Modern Wall Lights and SconcesMaterials
- Arflex Marenco Sofa in Fabric Heidi and Candy by Mario MarencoBy Mario Marenco, ArflexLocated in Brooklyn, NYMarenco Sofa is designed by Mario Marenco for Arflex. This sofa features the system with making the armrest and seat as the base portion. There is a metal tubular frame facilitated f...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Modern SofasMaterials
- Italian 1950s Lantern, Brass and Textured GlassBy Arredoluce, StilnovoLocated in Vienna, ATFine Italian cage lantern or pendant from the early 1950s. The large glass diffuser is textured on the in- and outside and "caged" by brass ribbons. Good original condition with a fa...Category
Vintage 1950s Italian Mid-Century Modern LanternsMaterials
- 1950s Brass and Etched Glass Chandelier by LightolierBy LightolierLocated in New York City, NY1950s brass with etched glass eight-arm chandelier by Lightolier.Category
20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Chandeliers and PendantsMaterials
- Lightolier Concentric Louvered Brass Pendant Light / ChandelierBy LightolierLocated in Fulton, CAA polished brass pendant chandelier by Lightolier. Designed with 5 concentric, brushed brass louvers over a polished brass metal domed shade. Concentric bands allow filtered upward l...Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Chandeliers and PendantsMaterials
Metal$495 Sale Price43% Off
- Lightolier Chic Pendant Light in Brass, 1950sBy LightolierLocated in New York, NY1 pendant light in brass with pin holes at bottom by Lightolier, American, 1950s. The brass has been lacquered so it will not tarnish.Category
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern Chandeliers and PendantsMaterials
- Chandelier by LightolierBy LightolierLocated in Los Angeles, CACustom chandelier by Lightolier. Manufactured in USA, circa 1970s. Polished aluminum. Wired for U.S. standards. We recommend sixty 3w maximum bulbs. Bulbs provided as a one time cour...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Chandeliers and PendantsMaterials
- 1950s Paavo Tynell Style Blooming Brass & White Daisies Chandelier by LightolierBy Lightolier, Paavo TynellLocated in Saint Louis, MOSpringtime hope and renewed optimism emanate from this whimsical 1950s blooming daisies Chandelier in the style of Paavo Tynell by Lightolier. Organic. Happy. Uplifting. This unique ...Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern Chandeliers and PendantsMaterials
- Lightolier Midcentury Brass ChandelierBy LightolierLocated in Chicago, ILMidcentury brass chandelier or semi flush mount fixture by Lightolier. Features 8 arms and removable hanging brass and Lucite pendants. Cord is 22" long and fixture is 16" high. Come...Category
Vintage 1960s North American Hollywood Regency Chandeliers and PendantsMaterials
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery