Drexel Consensus Collection Nightstand-A Pair
About the Item
- Creator:Drexel (Designer)
- Dimensions:Height: 21.3 in (54.11 cm)Width: 21.5 in (54.61 cm)Depth: 25.2 in (64.01 cm)
- Sold As:Set of 2
- Style:Mid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:Circa 1970s
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. Great condition.
- Seller Location:Bensalem, PA
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU8176236085232
While vintage Drexel Furniture dining tables, dressers and other pieces remain highly desirable for enthusiasts of mid-century modern design, the manufacturer's story actually begins decades before its celebrated postwar-era Declaration line took shape.
In 1903, in the small town of Drexel in the foothills of North Carolina’s Blue Ridge Mountains, six partners came together to found a company that would become one of the country’s leading furniture producers. The first offerings from Drexel Furniture were simple: a bed, washstand and bureau all crafted from native oakwood, sold as a bedroom suite for $14.50.
One of Drexel’s early innovations was to employ staff designers, something the company initiated in the 1930s. This focus on design, which few other furniture companies were committing to at the time, allowed Drexel to respond to a variety of new and traditional tastes. This included making pieces inspired by historic European furniture, like the popular French Provincial–style Touraine bedroom and dining group that borrowed its curves from Louis XV-era furniture. Others replicated the ornate details of 18th-century chinoiserie or the embellishments of Queen Anne furniture. Always ready to adapt to new customer demands, during World War II, Drexel built a sturdy desk designed especially for General Douglas MacArthur.
In the postwar era, Drexel embraced the clean lines of mid-century modernism with the Declaration collection designed by Stewart MacDougall and Kipp Stewart that featured elegant credenzas and more made in walnut, and the Profile and Projection collections designed with sculptural shapes by John Van Koert. In the 1970s, Drexel introduced high-end furniture in a Mediterranean style.
Drexel changed hands and visions throughout the years. It was managed by one of the original partners — Samuel Huffman — until 1935, at which time his son Robert O. Huffman took over as president. It was then that the company began to expand, with several acquisitions of competitors in the 1950s, including Table Rock Furniture, the Heritage Furniture Co. and more. With the manufacturer’s success — spurred by its embrace of advertising in home and garden magazines — it opened more factories in both North and South Carolina. By 1957, the company that had started with a factory of 50 workers had 2,300 employees and was selling its furniture nationwide.
Drexel underwent a series of name changes in its long history. Its acquisition of Southern Desk Company in 1960 bolstered its production of institutional furniture for dormitories, classrooms, churches and laboratories. In the following decades, contracts with government agencies, hotels, schools and hospitals brought its high-quality furniture to a global audience. U.S. Plywood-Champion Papers bought Drexel Enterprises in 1968, and it became Drexel Heritage Furnishings.
In 2014, the last Drexel Heritage plant, in Morganton, North Carolina, reportedly closed its doors. The company rebranded as Drexel in 2017.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Bensalem, PA
- Return PolicyA return for this item may be initiated within 14 days of delivery.
- 1980s Postmodern Drexel Scoop Lounge Chair & Foot Stool-A PairBy DrexelLocated in Bensalem, PAVery uniquely shaped pair of Drexel lounge chairs with ottomans dated 1985Category
Vintage 1980s Post-Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- 1970s Jacobean Style Drexel Sandia Drop Front Desk-A PairBy DrexelLocated in Bensalem, PAStunning pair of drop front Drexel desks from their Sandia Jacobean style line.Lots of storage and lots of look perfect for your library.Category
Vintage 1970s Jacobean DesksMaterials
- 1970s Brass & Onyx California King Bed Head & Foot Board by Wesley AllenBy Luciano FrigerioLocated in Bensalem, PAUniquely shaped brass & onyx California king head & foot board by Wesley Allen.Category
Vintage 1970s Art Nouveau Beds and Bed FramesMaterials
- Brown Jordan Gray Sling Bar Stool-A PairBy Brown JordanLocated in Bensalem, PAAmazing lines and design pair of rare Brown Jordan light gray bar stools in great conditionCategory
1990s American Mid-Century Modern StoolsMaterials
- 1970s Vintage Brass & Glass Etagere Shelving Unit-A PairBy Milo BaughmanLocated in Bensalem, PAStunning geometrical shiny brass etagere in the manner of Milo Baughman or DIACategory
Vintage 1970s Italian Mid-Century Modern ShelvesMaterials
- 1960s Black White Floor Table Lucite Chrome Lamp-A PairBy Karl SpringerLocated in Bensalem, PAVery unique set of stylish table floor lamps were acquired in Manhattan, New York from the original owner who stated he purchased in the early 1970s in the design district.Category
Vintage 1960s Mid-Century Modern Floor LampsMaterials
- Pair of Drexel Heritage Consensus Pecan NightstandsBy DrexelLocated in Pasadena, TXPair of Drexel Heritage consensus pecan nightstands 1970s Campaign style nightstands made by Drexel Heritage for the Consensus line. Nig...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Night StandsMaterials
- Vintage Drexel Weatherwood Collection Campaign Cabinet Style Pair of NightstandsBy DrexelLocated in Topeka, KSFabulous vintage Drexel Weatherwood Collection Campaign cabinet style nightstands or end or side tables with brass plated hardware. Beautiful condit...Category
Late 20th Century American Campaign End TablesMaterials
- MCM Drexel WINDWOOD NightstandsBy DrexelLocated in Lake Worth, FLFor FULL item description click on CONTINUE READING at the bottom of this page. Offering One Of Our Recent Palm Beach Estate Fine Furniture Acquisitions Of A Pair of Drexel " Windw...Category
Vintage 1970s Mid-Century Modern Night StandsMaterials
- Kipp Stewart Drexel Declaration NightstandBy Drexel, Kipp StewartLocated in Asbury Park, NJA stunning figured walnut night stand by Kipp Stewart for the Drexel Declaration line. The top shelf floats above two drawers with handsome porcelai...Category
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern Night Stands
- Drexel Heritage Italian Provincial Sculpted Pine Nightstands, PairBy DrexelLocated in South Bend, INA gorgeous pair of Italian Provincial style nightstands By Drexel Heritage USA, Circa 1970s Sculpted pine, with original brass hardware. Measures: 24" W x 16" D x 22.25" ...Category
Vintage 1970s American Rustic Night StandsMaterials
- Mid-Century "Modulus" Nightstand by DrexelBy DrexelLocated in Brooklyn, NYBehold the splendor of amber waves of wood grain with this gorgeous teak nightstand from Carolina's Drexel Furniture. Coming from their popular "Modulus" series, its laminated cubbyh...Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Night StandsMaterials