- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Ward Bennett Modern White I-Beam Occasional Table for Geiger, 1960s, USA
- DimensionsHeight: 15 in (38.1 cm)Width: 12 in (30.48 cm)Depth: 12 in (30.48 cm)
- StyleOrganic Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacture1968
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use. Minor losses. Minor fading. Original condition. Signs of age and wear. Rare white version. White finish appears original. See photos, Wear contributes to industrial vibe. Lovely piece.
- Seller LocationBrooklyn, NY
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU4190327597402
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Brooklyn, NY
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 1 day of delivery.
About the Designer
Ward Bennett created everything from interiors and furniture to textiles and flatware. The unsung New York City-born modernist designer drew on the work of Le Corbusier and Auguste Rodin, studied art with the likes of Abstract Expressionist painter Hans Hofmann and counted legendary American luxury house Tiffany & Co. among his clients. For decades, Bennett created and filled spaces that were elegant, minimalist and deeply appealed to everyone who laid eyes on them.
Bennett left home and school at the young age of 13. He found work in Manhattan’s Garment District, and within a few years, Bennett traveled to Europe on behalf of a clothing manufacturer to gather ideas for modern garments. He lived abroad as a young man, and when he returned to New York, during the early 1940s, he assisted fashion entrepreneur Hattie Carnegie as a window dresser.
Bennett would also go on to share a sculpture studio with artist Louise Nevelson. He ventured into the world of jewelry design, creating necklaces, bracelets and other pieces with Richard Pousette-Dart. The Whitney Museum of American Art exhibited his sculptures, and it wouldn’t be long before the Museum of Modern Art included Bennett’s personal adornments with accessories by the likes of Alexander Calder, Harry Bertoia and Anni Albers in its 1946 “Modern Handmade Jewelry” show.
Bennett didn’t take the plunge into interior design work until he was 30 years old — his inaugural project was an apartment in Manhattan and his clients were family members. He had no formal training in architecture or decorating — and would ultimately design a mere handful of houses in his life — so for his inviting leather office chairs, marble-topped tables and sleek storage cabinets, Bennett relied only on what he learned in the fashion world. Soon, every time he redecorated his own home — an elaborate apartment comprising former maids’ quarters in New York City’s magnificent Dakota building — it earned splashy coverage in the newspapers.
Bennett’s client list eventually included David Rockefeller and Chase Manhattan Bank, Tiffany & Co., Sasaki, Italian industrialist Gianni Agnelli, and others, and during the 1970s he became in-house designer for Brickel Associates, a role that would endure for more than two decades. His work is on permanent view at the Museum of Modern Art and the Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum in New York.
- Branco & Preto Caviuna Side Table, Glass Top, Luiz Pássaro, Brazil, 1960sBy Branco & Preto, Luiz PássaroLocated in Brooklyn, NYBranco & Preto Brazilian Mid-Century Modern side table with glass top set in Caviuna wood frame. 21.5" H x 25.5" W x 25.5" D. Listing is for single table. Caviuna is a Brazilian ti...Category
Mid-20th Century Brazilian Mid-Century Modern Side TablesMaterials
Glass, Wood$4,350 Sale Price / item50% Off
- Ladislav Rado White enameled Steel Modern Side Table, 1955, Knoll and DrakeBy Knoll & DrakeLocated in Brooklyn, NYLadislav Rado white enameled steel modern side table, 1955, Knoll and Drake. Knoll and Drake produced a signature modern line of furniture for a few short years which had enameled sq...Category
Mid-20th Century Mid-Century Modern Side TablesMaterials
Steel$3,640 Sale Price30% Off
- Paul T. Frankl Cork and Mahogany Occasional Table, Model 5026, 1948, USABy Paul Frankl, Johnson Furniture CompanyLocated in Brooklyn, NYPaul T. Frankl Cork and Mahogany Occasional table, Model 5026, Johnson Furniture Company, USA, 1948-1952. 22 h × 30 w × 20 d in. Stenciled manufacturer's mark to underside '5026 #280...Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Console TablesMaterials
Mahogany, Cork$4,760 Sale Price30% Off
- Ward Bennett for Brickel Black Ash Scissor Lounge Chair, Red Wool Bouclé, 1984By Ward BennettLocated in Brooklyn, NYWard Bennett for Brickel Assoc. black Ash Scissor Lounge Chair, Red Wool Bouclé, 1984, New York. Black lacquered ash, red wool upholstery, metal tags to each. Ward Bennett’s story ...Category
Late 20th Century American Post-Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
Wool, Ash$3,360 Sale Price / item30% Off
- Ward Bennett for Brickel Black Ash Scissor Lounge Chairs, Red Wool Bouclé, 1984By Ward BennettLocated in Brooklyn, NYWard Bennett for Brickel Assoc. Black ash scissor lounge chair pair, set of two, red wool bouclé, 1984, New York. Black lacquered ash, red wool upholstery, metal tags to each. War...Category
Late 20th Century American Post-Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
Wool, Ash$6,240 Sale Price / set35% Off
- Kartell Jolly Side Table in Pink by Paolo RizzattoBy Paolo Rizzatto, KartellLocated in Brooklyn, NYKartell Jolly side table in pink by Paolo Rizzatto A completely transparent small side table in the perfect size: 40 x 40 x 40 cm. Colourful, practical, safe and functional, Jolly i...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Modern Side TablesMaterials
- Ward Bennett Attribution Pair Enameled Steel I-Beam Side Tables MCM InspiredBy Ward BennettLocated in Philadelphia, PAIn creating a prototype, Ward Bennett actually cut off a section of a steel I-beam to achieve the raw aesthetic he was after. Here, a pair of solid enameled steel side tables. Each i...Category
21st Century and Contemporary American Mid-Century Modern Side TablesMaterials
- Ward Bennett Low TableBy Ward BennettLocated in Brooklyn, NYVersatile; functions well as a side or cocktail table. Lightweight yet sturdy steel base with bright, polished metal finish. Original, height-adjustable feet. Three quarter inch glas...Category
20th Century American Modern Side TablesMaterials
- Stacked Block Lucite End Table, USA 1960sLocated in Miami, FLBeautiful Lucite End Table made in the USA 1960s.Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern End TablesMaterials
- 1970s Two-Tier Table by Ward Bennett for Brickel AssociatesBy Ward BennettLocated in Sagaponack, NYA two-tiered carved ash coffee or side table in natural oil finish with Brickel leather planar surfaces over four swivel casters. Model 1260. Marked on underside.Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
- French Bronze Occasional Side Table by Jacques Quinet for Broncz, 1960sBy Jacques QuinetLocated in Paris, FRThis occasional and side table signed by Jacques Quinet and stamped by Broncz, is a remarkable find. It features a strong, bronze base constructed to last. The 2/3 glass top adds ext...Category
Vintage 1960s French Mid-Century Modern End TablesMaterials
- Pair of Walnut Side Tables, USA, 1960sLocated in New York, NYA pair of walnut tables by Superior furnishings, on four legs with a recess under the top tray.Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Side TablesMaterials
Walnut$7,500 / set