- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Alberto Giacometti Framed Black and White Limited Lithograph "Annette", 1964
- CreatorAlberto Giacometti (Artist)
- DimensionsHeight: 25.5 in (64.77 cm)Width: 23 in (58.42 cm)Depth: 1.5 in (3.81 cm)
- StyleMid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacture1964
- ConditionThe print is in very good vintage condition. The frame has light edge wear (primarily to the top edge. Please see photos) consistent with age and use. A wonderful work overall.
- Seller LocationStudio City, CA
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU2254329634422
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingShips From: Studio City, CA
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 7 days of delivery.
About the Artist
Alberto Giacometti was a painter, printmaker and furniture designer but he is best known as one of the 20th century’s most important sculptors. He is revered for the elongated, slender human figures he created in the years following World War II that reflected existentialism and the trauma associated with the conflict.
Giacometti was born in Borgonovo, Switzerland, in 1901 to a creative family. His father Giovanni was a Post-Impressionist painter, his godfather Cuno Amiet was a Fauvist painter, his brother Bruno was an architect, and his other brother Diego was an artist and furniture designer who also served as Giacometti’s model. (The sculptor worked chiefly with models plucked from his personal life.)
Beginning in 1922, Giacometti studied at the Académie de la Grande-Chaumière in Paris and was influenced by the Cubist work of Alexander Archipenko, Raymond Duchamp-Villon and the post-Cubist sculptures of Jacques Lipchitz and Henri Laurens.
During the 1930s, Giacometti designed furniture such as lamps, vases and wall décor to earn a living, often collaborating with interior designer Jean-Michel Frank, whose interiors tastefully mixed extravagance with sophisticated simplicity. However, Giacometti’s passion lay in creating sculptures.
Alberto and his brother Diego left Paris in 1940 to escape the Nazi invasion and spent time in the South of France before fleeing to Geneva, remaining there until 1946. In 1947, Giacometti began work on his most famous sculptures — very tall and thin figurines that came to be associated with frailty and loneliness.
Giacometti catapulted to fame in the United States following two exhibitions of his sculptures in 1948 and 1950 at the Pierre Matisse Gallery in New York City — Jean-Paul Sartre authored the catalogue essay for the latter. In 1961, Giacometti’s friend, Irish playwright Samuel Beckett, asked him to design the set for a re-staging of his play “Waiting for Godot.” His response took on the form of a single plaster tree.
In 1962, Giacometti won the grand prize for sculpture at the Venice Biennale, and for much of the rest of his career, he created modern paintings, drawings and sculptures of plaster, clay and bronze in his small Paris studio. He died in 1966.
Giacometti’s works continue to enthrall collectors. In 2010, his life-size bronze sculpture L'Homme qui marche (“the man who walks”), which now adorns the 100 Swiss Franc banknote, became one of the most expensive sculptures to be sold at auction.
On 1stDibs, discover a range of vintage Alberto Giacometti wall decorations, prints and sculptures.
- Rafael Canogar Black and White Signed Limited Edition Lithograph "EL Abrazo"Located in Studio City, CAA very darkly hued and intriguing work by Spanish artist Rafael Canogar. The print is pencil signed by the artist, paper embossed stamped, dated (1969), titled ("EL Abrazo") and ...Category
Vintage 1960s Spanish Mid-Century Modern Contemporary ArtMaterials
- Richard Florsheim Signed Limited Edition Cityscape Lithograph Blast FurnacesLocated in Studio City, CAA wonderful and alluring, dark, rich black and white lithograph by Chicago-born American painter and artist Richard Florsheim. The work, titled "Blast Furnaces", is pencil signed...Category
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern PrintsMaterials
- Modern Contemporary Art Signed Limited Edition Abstract Torso Lithograph PrintLocated in Studio City, CAAn engaging modern abstract lithographic print that appears to be featuring a human torso/ body - somewhat reminiscent of the abstract works of Henry Moore. The work is signed in...Category
Vintage 1980s American Modern PrintsMaterials
- Sally Morgan Signed Australian Aboriginal Art Limited Ed. Print Moon and StarsLocated in Studio City, CAA wonderful work by Australian Aboriginal author/artist/ activist/dramatist Sally Morgan titled "Moon and Stars", perhaps inspired by one of her numerous novels. The silkscreen pr...Category
Vintage 1980s Australian PrintsMaterials
- Arnold Mesches Signed Chair Series Large Color Lithograph, 1969Located in Studio City, CAA very engaging and somewhat scarce work by the Bronx, NY-born controversial American artist Arnold Meches. This piece is one of his from his most recognizable works the chair series...Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern PrintsMaterials
- Frank Martin Signed Limited Edition British Woodcut Print "Maened", 1969Located in Studio City, CAA wonderful image by British artist or printmaker Frank Martin titled "Maened". The image is of dancer Olga Tshechowa and was later used for the poster of the artist's exhibition at ...Category
Vintage 1960s English Mid-Century Modern PrintsMaterials
You May Also Like
Vintage 1960s French Modern Drawings
Vintage 1950s European Mid-Century Modern Prints
Vintage 1980s American Post-Modern Prints
Late 20th Century Modern Contemporary Art
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern Prints
Glass, Wood, Paper
Vintage 1960s French Mid-Century Modern Prints
Wood, Glass, Paper
Late 20th Century Vietnamese Mid-Century Modern Prints
Vintage 1980s American Mid-Century Modern Contemporary Art
Mid-20th Century Dutch Mid-Century Modern Prints
Vintage 1950s French Mid-Century Modern Prints
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery