Pierre-Auguste RenoirFEMME AU CEP DE VIGNE (Woman By The Grapevine)
About the Item
Pierre-Auguste Renoir began his artistic career as a porcelain painter but began copying paintings at the Louvre in 1860 and eventually entered the studio of Charles Gleyre, where he met Claude Monet, Frédéric Bazille, and Alfred Sisley. The four friends began painting in the forest of Fontainebleau, although Renoir always remained dedicated to figure painting and portraits influenced by Gustave Courbet.
In the summer of 1869, Renoir painted for two months alongside Monet at La Grenouillère outside Paris. After several of his paintings were rejected by the Salon in the early 1870s, he decided to join Monet in establishing the Impressionists, who sought to capture modern life including everyday people, streets, and surroundings.
Renoir's penchant for portraiture attracted the attention of a range of patrons with avant-garde sensibilities and sustained him financially. His doubts about the spontaneity and impermanence of the Impressionist aesthetic led him to refuse to participate in the fourth Impressionist exhibition in 1878. Instead, he decided to look back to the Old Masters, leaving for Italy in 1881 to continue his self-education in the “grandeur and simplicity of the ancient painters.” He returned enamored of Raphael and Pompeii and his figures consequently became more crisply drawn and sculptural in character.
By the late 1880s and early 1890s, Renoir had shifted his investigation of the Old Masters from linear classicism to the colouristic traditions of Titian and Rubens as well as the unabashedly sensual beauty of eighteenth-century French art such as the nudes of Rubens and Fragonard. Renoir's most important series of the decade came from an invitation by the French government to execute a painting for the Musée du Luxembourg, a new museum devoted to the work of living artists. Renoir made five versions of Two Young Girls at the Piano for the Minister of Fine Arts to choose from; the version in the Robert Lehman Collection at the Metropolitan Museum of Art is one of the finest. The subject of Two Young Girls at the Piano recalls eighteenth-century French genre scenes, especially those of Fragonard.
In the early twentieth century, despite old age and declining health, Renoir persisted in artistic experimentation. He took up sculpture and continued to paint portraits attesting to his continued admiration of Renaissance art. Renoir was also drawn to an arcadian ideal of Mediterranean classicism in his art. This artistic preoccupation is nowhere more apparent than in his twentieth-century bathers. The Rubenesque nudes he had been painting reached a level of unprecedented exaggeration in the twentieth century, culminating in the massive Bathers at the Musée d'Orsay.
(Biography provided by Stern Pissarro Gallery)
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Santa Monica, CA
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 7 days of delivery.
- Vachère au Bord de l'EauBy Camille PissarroLocated in Santa Monica, CACAMILLE PISSARRO (French 1830-1903) VACHERE au BORD de l’EAU 1890 (Delteil 93 viii/viii) Etching, unsigned as published in “Gazette des Beaux Arts”, Paris, 1890. On laid paper Very...Category
1890s Impressionist Figurative PrintsMaterials
- FOG, GOG, AND MAGOGBy Roberto MattaLocated in Santa Monica, CAROBERTO MATTA (1911-2002) FOG, GOG, AND MAGOG 1971 Color lithograph. Plate 1 from “Fog Gog, and Magog” 1971. Signed in pencil and numbered. This work is number 92 from the edition o...Category
1970s Surrealist Landscape PrintsMaterials
- PULLING CORN (FODDER HOPPER) - Scarce Print!By Bernard Joseph SteffenLocated in Santa Monica, CABERNARD (JOSEPH) STEFFEN (1907 – 1980) PULLING CORN (FODDER HOPPER) c. 1935-45 Color serigraph signed with a full signature below the image at the lower right sheet edge . Unknown e...Category
1930s Modern Landscape PrintsMaterials
- JonahBy Sadao WatanabeLocated in Santa Monica, CASADAO WATANABE (Japanese 1913-1996) JONAH, 1959 Color stencil, signed, numbered and dated in white ink. Sheet, 25 5/8 x 22 5/8 inches. Edition: 44/50. Good color and generally good ...Category
1950s Modern Figurative PrintsMaterials
- BEER STREETBy William HogarthLocated in Santa Monica, CAWILLIAM HOGARTH (BRITISH 1675 – 1764) BEER STREET 1751(Paulson 185 iii/iii) Etching and engraving Design’d by W, Hogarth lower left, Publish’d according to act of Parliament...Category
1750s Old Masters Figurative PrintsMaterials
- THE MAKING OF TORTILLAS - Mural Size 47 1/2 inches LongBy Leopoldo MéndezLocated in Santa Monica, CALEOPOLDO MENDEZ (1902 – 1969) THE MAKING OF TORTILLAS 1954 Linocut. Edition unknown. This example signed in pencil and dated 1957. 14” x 47 3/8” ...Category
1950s Modern Figurative PrintsMaterials
- Le Remorqueur, Michel DelacroixBy Michel DelacroixLocated in Auburn Hills, MIMICHEL DELACROIX (1933- ) Internationally renowned French painter Michel Delacroix is an acclaimed master of the naïf tradition and one of the most popular collected artists in the ...Category
1980s Impressionist Figurative PrintsMaterials
- Tour Eiffel le SoirBy Michel DelacroixLocated in Fairfield, CTArtist: Michel Delacroix (1933) Title: Tour Eiffel le Soir Year: 1979 Medium: Lithograph on Arches paper Inscription: Signed with the artist's stone-signed sig...Category
1970s Impressionist Landscape PrintsMaterials
- Avigail Yoresh "Blowing the Horn" Pencil Signed Lithograph c.1992Located in San Francisco, CAAvigail Yoresh (Transylvania / Israel) "Blowing the Horn" Pencil Signed Lithograph c.1992 This is a fine pencil signed lithograph by noted Israeli arti...Category
Late 20th Century Impressionist Figurative PrintsMaterials
- Original "Spain" original 1943 travel poster DelpyLocated in Spokane, WAOriginal SPAIN; vintage European antique travel poster. Size: 24.5" 38.25". Year: 1943. Artist: Delpy. Archival linen-backed vintage lithograph, ready to frame. Print...Category
1940s American Impressionist Figurative PrintsMaterials
- Maurice de Vlaminck - House in Rueil - Original LithographBy Maurice de VlaminckLocated in Collonge Bellerive, Geneve, CHMaurice de Vlaminck Original Lithograph Signed in the plate 1958 Title: House in Beauce Dimensions: 22 x 27 cm Reference: Catalogue raisonné Walterskirchen 275 Condition : Excellent Maurice de Vlaminck (1876 - 1958) Maurice was three years old when his family moved from Paris to Vésinet. He first pursued the same musical career as his parents, who were both musicians, leaving his home as a trained double-bass player in 1892 to move to Chatou near Versailles. After absolving his military service in Vitré Maurice Vlaminck worked as a musician until he accidentally met André Derain in 1900. It was Derain who kindled Vlaminck's artistic ambitions. He decided to become a painter and rented an old hut in which he and Derain shared a studio. A crucial turning point in Vlaminck's artistic development was a visit to a van Gogh exhibition...Category
1950s Impressionist Landscape PrintsMaterials
- Rue FurstenbergBy James Abbott McNeill WhistlerLocated in Storrs, CTRue Furstenberg. 1894. Lithograph. Way 59; Levy 90; Tedeschi, Stratis and Spink catalog 97. Only state. 8 7/8 x 6 1/4 (sheet 14 1/4 x 8 7/8). A fine ...Category
Late 19th Century Impressionist Figurative PrintsMaterials
Recently ViewedView All
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery