- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Calder The Complete Bronzes Book
About the Item
- Creator:Alexander Calder (Artist)
- Dimensions:Height: 11.75 in (29.85 cm)Width: 9.75 in (24.77 cm)Depth: 0.5 in (1.27 cm)
- Style:Modern (In the Style Of)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:2012
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use.
- Seller Location:New York, NY
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU1314223756572
Because Calder's parents, both artists themselves, did not want him to suffer the hardships of trying to make a living in art, they encouraged the young Calder to study mechanical engineering at the Stevens Institute of Technology, in Hoboken, New Jersey. He worked a number of jobs, including as a hydraulic engineer and draftsman for the New York Edison Company, before deciding to pursue an artistic career. He never abandoned his engineering background, however, applying his understanding of gears and moving parts in all his artworks, from mechanical toys like the Cirque Calder (1931) and his revered prints to his free-standing abstract sculptures, called stabiles.
In 1926, Calder moved to Paris and established a studio in the Montparnasse quarter. He began creating the many parts of his famous miniature circus from found materials, such as wire, string, cloth, rubber and cork. Designed to be transportable, Cirque grew to fill five suitcases over the years. Always interested in putting forms in motion, Calder also pioneered a new art form called wire sculptures, which he described as “drawings in space.” Like his famous mobiles, the wire sculptures were suspended so that they turned with any movement of the air, presenting different forms when viewed from different angles.
In the 1950s, Calder returned to his roots in mechanical engineering, creating monumental abstract sculptures that verged on the architectural. He worked from loose gestural drawings like this preparatory sketch for his Man Stabile, from 1966. Throughout his career, he also worked as a set designer for the theater, as well as an illustrator and printmaker, producing vibrant, whimsical drawings for books and journals.
Find original Alexander Calder art today on 1stDibs.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: New York, NY
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 1 day of delivery.
- Nature Posing the Grand Season of Still Life of Europe & Italy Coffee Table BookLocated in New York, NYNature Posing the Grand Season of Still Life of Europe and Italy; A large (grand) coffee table or library book, 1977, Milan, Italy. Translation of Title in Italian: Natura In Posa, L...Category
Vintage 1970s Italian Rustic BooksMaterials
- Paris Berlin 1900-1933 Library or Coffee Table BookLocated in New York, NYThe 'Paris Berlin 1900-1933 ' is a soft-cover book covering an exhibition from July 12-November 6, 1978, at The Centre Pompidou, Paris, France. Book covers art movements such as Expr...Category
Vintage 1970s French Modern BooksMaterials
- Andree Putman A Designer Apart Library or Coffee Table Book, 1990sBy Andree PutmanLocated in New York, NYA very beautiful and timeless library or coffee table book about designer Andree Putman. 'Andree Putman, A Designer Apart', 1990, New York. "Andree Putman is a designer with her ...Category
1990s Spanish Modern BooksMaterials
- Pablo Picasso, a Retrospective, Library or Coffee Table Book, 1980 New YorkBy MOMA Museum New York, Pablo PicassoLocated in New York, NYPablo Picasso: A Retrospective, The Museum on Modern Art, New York, library or coffee table book, 1980. Published on the occasion of the exhibition "Pablo Picasso: A Retrospective,...Category
20th Century American Modern BooksMaterials
- Bulgari Jewelry Coffee Table or Library Book, 1990sBy BvlgariLocated in New York, NYThis is a beautiful coffee table or library book about the history of the iconic Italian luxury jeweler Bvlgari (or Bulgari), circa 1990s, Italy. Book covers Bulgari's history in cre...Category
1990s Italian BooksMaterials
- Elizabeth Taylor Andy Warhol Coffee Table Book, SignedLocated in New York, NYA beautiful hard-cover coffee table or library book in memory of Elizabeth Taylor; "700 Nimes Road", by Catherine Opie. A beautiful and thoughtful body of work in which she (Catherin...Category
2010s Italian Post-Modern BooksMaterials
- Chic 'Méandre' Side Chair by Design FrèresBy Design FrèresLocated in Los Angeles, CAChic undulating 'Méandre' side chairs by Design Frères. Hand applied gilt bronze patina over steel frame. Natural linen upholstered cushion. Inspired by the timeless aesthetic ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Modern ChairsMaterials
Steel$2,400 / item
- Original Mathieu Mategot Perforated TrayBy Mathieu MatégotLocated in East Hampton, NYAs found in France, this all vintage and original painted perforated metal tray is asymmetrical in shape with curled handles. Designed and made by Mategot in 1960s. This piece is bea...Category
Vintage 1960s French Mid-Century Modern Platters and ServewareMaterials
- Dutch Bossche School Cabinet in Black Stained PineLocated in Waalwijk, NLDutch cabinet, pine, metal, The Netherlands, 1970s This striking cabinet originates from The Netherlands. Its cubic appearance is emphasized by the dark colored wood. Vertically arr...Category
Vintage 1970s Dutch Brutalist CabinetsMaterials
- Wharton Esherick Important SofaBy Wharton EsherickLocated in Chicago, ILWharton Esherick important sofa for Lawrence and Alice Seiver. We are pleased the offer this exceptional item, the epitome of the American Craft Movement and the first of Eshericks ...Category
Vintage 1950s American American Craftsman SofasMaterials
Poplar, Tulipwood, Walnut$273,000
- Oval Brass and Parchment Chandelier by Diego Mardegan for Glustin LuminairesBy Diego MardeganLocated in Saint-Ouen, IDFBeautiful chandelier by Diego Mardegan for Glustin Luminaires, this other version of the spider chandelier has longer arms on the sides giving the oval shape. The metal arms paint...Category
2010s Italian Modern Chandeliers and PendantsMaterials
- The Complete Pirelli Calendar Book, 1975Located in London, GBPirelli Calendar The Complete Pirelli Calendar Book Published by Pan books, London 1975. Introduction by David Niven. Rare in slipcase. Pirelli commissioned artists and pho...Category
Mid-20th Century English Mid-Century Modern BooksMaterials
- Carlo Scarpa-The Complete Works BookLocated in North Yorkshire, GBBefore starting his career as an architect, Scarpa worked for more that ten years as artistic director at the Venini glass works where he gained an exceptional knowledge of raw mater...Category
20th Century Books$395Free Shipping
- 2 Volumes, Gustav Kobbe, The Complete Opera BookLocated in New York, NY2 Volumes. Gustav Kobbe, The Complete Opera Book. Bound in red morocco. Gilt tooling on covers. Raised bands. Decorative gilt tooling on spine. All edges gilt. Marbled endpapers. Ill...Category
20th Century American BooksMaterials
- Frida Kahlo, The Complete Paintings, XL BookBy TASCHEN, Frida KahloLocated in Los Angeles, CAWe access the intimacy of Frida’s affections and passions through a selection of drawings, pages from her personal diary, letters, and an extensive illustrated biography featuring ph...Category
2010s European BooksMaterials
Fabric, Paper$200 / item
- The Complete Guide to Furniture Styles Softcover BookLocated in Oakland Park, FLPublisher Scribner; 0 edition (January 1, 1959) Language English Hardcover 438 pages Item Weight 3.7 pounds. Size: 1.4" x 7.0" x 10.2"Category
Vintage 1960s North American Regency BooksMaterials
- Alexander Calder, 1898-1976 'Book'Located in North Yorkshire, GBAlexander Calder was on of the most prolific artists of the 20th century and is now one of the most sought after. He worked with many different types of media from figurative wire sc...Category
20th Century BooksMaterials
Recently ViewedView More
Renowned for His Mobiles, Alexander Calder Was Also Adept at Crafting Modernist Jewelry
There are no sparkling gemstones on this necklace, but its value far exceeds the cost of its materials.
10 Must-Visit American Public Sculptures
Get your dose of Vitamin D while surveying works by the likes of Alexander Calder, Keith Haring and Pablo Picasso.