- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Danish Design Minerva Sofa Set by Peter Hvidt & Orla Molgaard Nielsen Teak, 1950
- DesignMinerva 417 ABCCMinerva Series
- DimensionsHeight: 32.29 in (82 cm)Width: 106.3 in (270 cm)Depth: 82.68 in (210 cm)Seat Height: 17.33 in (44 cm)
- StyleMid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacture1950
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use.
- Seller LocationIjzendijke, NL
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU2997325416422
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Ijzendijke, Netherlands
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 2 days of delivery.
About the Designer
One half of the influential Danish furniture duo Hvidt and Mølgaard, architect and designer Peter Hvidt created shapely works in teak and rosewood that could be mass-produced and transported at a scale rarely seen before his time. Alongside his business partner, Aalborg-born designer Orla Mølgaard-Nielsen, the pair crafted furniture which stands today as a masterclass in the combination of elegance and practicality that is typical of Scandinavian modernism.
Hvidt was born in Copenhagen in 1916. He studied architecture and cabinetry, and graduated from the School of Arts and Crafts in Copenhagen. Hvidt established his own design firm in 1940 and taught for three years at his former school, during which he designed the teak Portex chair — Denmark’s first stacking chair (this design has alternatively been attributed to Hvidt’s partnership with Mølgaard-Nielsen over the years).
The exceptional collaboration between Hvidt and Mølgaard-Nielsen took shape in 1944. A student of pioneering Danish modernist designer and architect Kaare Klint and fellow graduate of the School of Arts and Crafts, Mølgaard brought his technical prowess and eye for practical design to the partnership. Together, for more than three decades, Hvidt and Mølgaard would produce over 250 furniture designs, a legacy that included the iconic AX chair.
A masterpiece of technical expertise and innovative woodworking, the sculptural AX armchair was designed in collaboration with manufacturer Fritz Hansen during the late 1940s. It features double-curved laminated wood in the seat and back, and is an early example of knock-down furniture. This meant that it could be easily dismantled and assembled at its destination, which rendered the chair economical for transport on cargo ships and therefore could reach a worldwide audience. The AX went into production in 1950 and eventually gave way to a series that featured tables and other seating.
Hvidt’s proclivity for forward-looking design was typical of the venturesome furniture makers of the mid-century modern era. This extended to textures and materials, too — he believed that a tasteful combination of materials could add character and visual intrigue. With Mølgaard-Nielsen, Hvidt designed streamlined coffee tables, rosewood chairs upholstered with sumptuous black leather and teak side tables with cane shelves (teak was a sought-after material for designers at the time).
The duo’s work with celebrated manufacturers Fritz Hansen, France & Søn and Søborg Møbelfabrik has been a part of exhibitions at New York’s Museum of Modern Art, Copenhagen’s Design Museum and the National Gallery of Victoria in Melbourne.
- Peter Hvidt & Orla Mølgaard Nielsen Coffee Table FD 516 Teak France & Son 1956By Hvidt & Mølgaard, France & DaverkosenLocated in Ijzendijke, NLPeter Hvidt & Orla Mølgaard Nielsen coffee table FD 516 designed in 1956 and manufactured by France & Son in Denmark. High-end coffee table made of teak, with shelf brass rods and te...Category
Vintage 1950s Danish Mid-Century Modern Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
- Rare Living Room Set / Sofa and Lounge Chair F109, Theo Ruth for Artifort, 1950By Artifort, Theo RuthLocated in Ijzendijke, NLRare living room set model F109 by Theo Ruth for Artifort, 1950. High end Dutch design. The set is very comfortable and displays Theo Ruth's famous organic lines. The unique look gra...Category
Vintage 1950s Dutch Mid-Century Modern Living Room SetsMaterials
- Swiss De Sede DS 31 Set Three-Seat Sofa and 2 Swivel Lounge Chairs, 1970s BrownBy De SedeLocated in Ijzendijke, NLRare and superb Swiss design living room set model: DS 31 designed by the world famous company: De Sede in the 1970s. The set consists of a three-seat sofa and 2 matching swivel ar...Category
Vintage 1970s Swiss Mid-Century Modern Living Room SetsMaterials
- Dutch Art Deco Design Sofa by Pander 1930 Walnut Burl Wood with Display CabinetsBy H.Pander & ZonenLocated in Ijzendijke, NLMarvelous high end design Dutch Art Deco sofa designed & produced by Pander 1930 in Burl Walnut. Exquisite Art Deco design lines & both sides of the sofa have display cabinets perf...Category
Vintage 1930s Dutch Art Deco SofasMaterials
- Danish Design Credenza / Sideboard by Bernhard Pedersen in Teak 1950 Brown BeigeBy Bernhard Pedersen & SonLocated in Ijzendijke, NLGorgeous Danish design credenza/sideboard in teak designed and produced by Bernhard Pedersen. Bernhard Pedersen is known for very high quality Danish furniture and this piece perfect...Category
Vintage 1950s Danish Mid-Century Modern CredenzasMaterials
- Large Modular Sofa GE 280 by Hans J. Wegner for GETAMA Oak Blue GreyBy Hans J. Wegner, GETAMALocated in Ijzendijke, NLVery large modular sofa model: GE-280 by the famous Danish design grandmaster Hans J. Wegner for GETAMA. Wonderful Minimalist design, very comfortable sofa due to its high back. The...Category
Vintage 1980s Danish Mid-Century Modern Sectional SofasMaterials
- Minerva Sofa Peter Hvidt & Orla Molgaard Nielsen Teak France & SønBy France & Søn, Peter Hvidt, Orla Mølgaard-NielsenLocated in Neuss, NWWonderful Minerva sofa by Peter Hvidt & Orla Mølgaard-Nielsen from the 1960s. Solid teak frame. The original spring core has been reupholstered and covered with a high-quality fabric...Category
Vintage 1960s European SofasMaterials
- Peter Hvidt & Orla Mølgaard-Nielsen Sofa Model Minerva by France & DaverkosenBy Peter Hvidt, Orla Mølgaard-NielsenLocated in Limhamn, Skåne länSofa model Minerva designed by Peter Hvidt & Orla Mølgaard-Nielsen. Produced by France & Daverkosen in Denmark.Category
Vintage 1950s Danish Scandinavian Modern SofasMaterials
- Danish Teak Sofa Set Model Minerva by Hvidt & Mølgaard 1950sBy Hvidt & MølgaardLocated in St-Brais, JUThis modular living room set was designed by the Danish architects Peter Hvidt & Orla Mølgaard Nielsen. It was produced in Denmark by France & Daverkosen during the 1950's. The set i...Category
Mid-20th Century Danish Mid-Century Modern SofasMaterials
- Minerva Sofa by Peter Hvidt & Orla Mølgaard-Nielsen for France & Søn, Denmark 19By France & Søn, Peter Hvidt, Orla Mølgaard-NielsenLocated in Hellouw, NLStunning ‘minerva’ sofa by Peter Hvidt & Orla Mølgaard-Nielsen for France & Søn from the 1960s. Peter Hvidt and Orla Mølgaard-Nielsen have played a significant role in the internatio...Category
Vintage 1960s Danish Scandinavian Modern SofasMaterials
- Minerva Sofa Peter Hvidt & Orla Mølgaard-Nielsen France & SønBy France & Søn, Peter HvidtLocated in Neuss, NWWonderful Minerva sofa by Peter Hvidt & Orla Mølgaard-Nielsen from the 1960s. Solid teak frame. The original spring core has been reupholstered and covered with a high-quality fabric...Category
Vintage 1960s European SofasMaterials
- Peter Hvidt & Orla Mølgaard Nielsen 'Minerva' Set France & Daverkosen DenmarkLocated in Los Angeles, CAPeter Hvidt & Orla Mølgaard Nielsen 'Minerva' set France & Daverkosen Denmark Peter Hvidt & Orla Mølgaard Nielsen, a three part lounge suite, 'Minerva' from France & Daverkosen, ...Category
Mid-20th Century Swedish Scandinavian Modern Living Room SetsMaterials