1973 Paul Evans Floating Cabinet
About the Item
- Creator:Paul Evans (Artist)
- Dimensions:Height: 29.25 in (74.3 cm)Width: 72 in (182.88 cm)Depth: 20 in (50.8 cm)
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:1973
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. Minor losses. Minor fading. This piece has been restored only to the extent which was necessary in reviving its outer cosmetic appearance. Some tiles were re-affixed. No structural issues.
- Seller Location:Asbury Park, NJ
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU98493319862
A designer and sculptor, Paul Evans was a wild card of late 20th century modernism. A leading light of the American Studio Furniture movement, Evans’s sideboards, credenzas, coffee tables and other work manifests a singular aesthetic sense, as well as a seemingly contradictory appreciation for both folk art forms and for new materials and technologies.
Evans’s primary material was metal, not wood, which was favored by his fellow studio designers, and Bucks County, Pennsylvania, neighbors George Nakashima and Phillip Lloyd Powell. He trained in metallurgy and studied at the Cranbrook Academy of Art, the famed crucible of modern design and art in suburban Detroit. For a time early in his career, Evans also worked at Sturbridge Village, a historical “living museum” in Massachusetts, where he gave demonstrations as a costumed silversmith.
Evans’s earliest work unites these influences. The pieces that made his reputation are known as “sculpted-front” cabinets: wood cases faced with box-like high-relief patinated steel mounts laid out in a grid pattern. Each mount contains a metal emblem, or glyph, and the effect is that of a brawny quilt.
Evans’s later work falls into three distinct style groups. His sculpted-bronze pieces, begun in the mid-1960s, show Evans at his most expressive. He employed a technique in which resin is hand-shaped, and later sprayed with a metal coating, allowing for artistic nuance in the making of chairs, tables and case pieces. Later in the decade and into the 1970s, Evans produced his Argente series for celebrated manufacturer Directional (a brand known to vintage mid-century modern furniture collectors everywhere): consoles and other furniture forms that feature aluminum and pigment-infused metal surfaces welded into abstract organic forms and patterns.
Last, Evans's Cityscape design series — a milestone in the history of brutalist design — meshed perfectly with the sleek, “high tech” sensibility of the later ’70s. Evans constructed boxy forms and faced them with irregular mosaic patterns that mixed rectangular plaques of chromed steel, bronze or burlwood veneer. These, like all of Paul Evans’s designs, are both useful and eye-catching. But their appeal has another, more visceral quality: these pieces have clearly been touched by an artist’s hand.
Find a collection of authentic Paul Evans furniture today on 1stDibs.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Asbury Park, NJ
- Return PolicyA return for this item may be initiated within 14 days of delivery.
- Paul Evans Patchwork Coffee TableBy Directional, Paul EvansLocated in Asbury Park, NJWonderful patchwork coffee table by the iconic Paul Evans. This table is comprised of welded copper, bronze and steel. Evans designed this table for Directional in the 1970's. This t...Category
Vintage 1970s North American Mid-Century Modern Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
Bronze, Copper, Steel
- 1950s Hairpin Desk with Floating Drawer and Custom Free Edge Walnut TopBy Custom Furniture BuildersLocated in Asbury Park, NJFantastic 1950s wrought iron hairpin desk with a floating ash drawer with white laminate top and distressed brass ball pull. Featuring a custom-made free ...Category
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern DesksMaterials
Brass, Wrought Iron
- Paul McCobb Mable Side TableBy Paul McCobbLocated in Asbury Park, NJOffered is this nice side table by Paul McCobb for the Planner Group. This simple maple side table is in nice vintage condition.Category
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern Side TablesMaterials
- George Nelson 2 Door CabinetBy Herman MillerLocated in Asbury Park, NJRarely seen 2 door cabinet by George Nelson. Inside cabinet has two sliding draws on right side and a single replacement shelf on left side. There is ro...Category
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern DressersMaterials
- Tony Paul Brass and Walnut Table LampBy Tony PaulLocated in Asbury Park, NJA organic-form Tony Paul table lamp of turned walnut and brass elements, with tall cylindrical off-white shade.Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Table Lamps
- Paul McCobb Planner Group Dining Suite for WinchendonBy Paul McCobbLocated in Asbury Park, NJExquisite Planner Group dining table and four 'bowtie' chairs in black lacquer by Paul McCobb for Winchendon. The dining table features long splayed and tapered legs joined by elegan...Category
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern Dining Room Sets
- Paul Evans Mid Century Burl Wood Floating Display CabinetBy Paul EvansLocated in Countryside, ILPaul Evans Mid Century burl wood floating display cabinet. Measures: 24.5 wide x 13.75 deep x 48.25 high. Veneer Loss. All pieces of furniture can be had in what we call Restored ...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern CabinetsMaterials
- Paul Evans Cityscape Mid Century Burl Wood Floating Display CabinetBy Paul EvansLocated in Countryside, ILPaul Evans cityscape Mid Century burl wood floating display cabinet Measures: 24.5 wide x 13.75 deep x 48.25 inches high This price includes getting this piece in what we call res...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern CabinetsMaterials
- Paul Evans Floating CabinetBy Paul EvansLocated in Brooklyn, NYMid-Century Modern credenza by Paul Evans for "Directional". Burl walnut veneer patch work panels with metal patch work base. Signed on the left side base. (Please confirm item loca...Category
Vintage 1960s Mid-Century Modern CredenzasMaterials
- Paul Evans Style Chrome Plated CabinetsBy Paul EvansLocated in Brooklyn, NYMid-century modern two door cabinets with striped polished and matte chrome top, sides and front. Ample storage, adjustable shelf. Great as sofa side cabinets. (Please confirm ite...Category
Vintage 1960s Mid-Century Modern CabinetsMaterials
- Paul Evans, Deep Relief Cabinet, 1970By Paul EvansLocated in New York, NYHandcrafted Deep Relief cabinet designed and fabricated by America studio artist Paul Evans in 1970. Polychromed steel doors containing shades of gold, ...Category
Vintage 1970s American American Craftsman CabinetsMaterials