- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Original Louis Vuitton Monogrammed Steamer Trunk, Fully Complete with All Pieces
About the Item
- Creator:Louis Vuitton (Designer)
- Dimensions:Height: 43 in (109.22 cm)Width: 21 in (53.34 cm)Depth: 26 in (66.04 cm)
- Style:Mid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:circa 1920
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use.
- Seller Location:Shrewsbury, GB
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU5740224093712
The story behind iconic luxury brand Louis Vuitton — best known for its esteemed handbags, crossbody bags, leather goods, ready-to-wear clothing and more — is one of craft and innovation in the worlds of fashion, jewelry and furniture.
The company’s modest origins can be traced back to when its founder, Louis Vuitton (1821–92), wishing to free himself from the conventional lifestyle in his provincial French city of Anchay as well as a difficult stepmother, left in the early 1830s to make a new life in Paris. The young Vuitton was 13 at the time and would need to travel on foot to get to the capital, which was hundreds of miles away. With stops along the way to make money so that he could forge ahead, the journey took a couple of years, but reward was close at hand.
When he arrived in Paris, Vuitton made a living with his hands. He toiled as a box maker and packer for more than a decade and built relationships with royals and members of the upper class while working for the empress of France, Eugenie de Montijo. In 1854, Vuitton launched his namesake company. The craftsman opened a humble workshop on rue Neuve des Capucines and advertised his services with a small poster that read: “Securely packs the most fragile objects. Specializing in packing fashions.”
Long before his brand would become known globally for its exemplary top-handle bags and stylish totes, Vuitton produced stackable and rectangular trunks. The most common trunks of the era were round, which weren’t ideal for toting and storing. In 1858, Vuitton debuted his lightweight, handcrafted canvas trunks, which were sturdy, rugged and equipped with convenient compartments. Travel’s popularity broadened in the late 19th century, and Vuitton’s trunks could easily be packed into train cars and ships — upright trunks meant hanging wardrobe storage that would allow his clients to transport their sophisticated garments without worry. Demand increased and the company grew. When Louis Vuitton died in 1892, control of the luxury house was passed onto his only son, Georges Vuitton.
In 1914, a Louis Vuitton store opened at 70 Champs-Élysées. The largest travel-goods store in the world at the time, it became the company’s flagship.
The Louis Vuitton brand embodies all the attributes of luxury, from the craftsmanship, exclusivity and relevance to heritage. It’s only appropriate that it boasts one of the most recognizable insignias — the imaginative interlocking of letters and fleurettes — in the fashion world. The famous LV monogram was first used in 1896 as part of an initiative by Georges to prevent counterfeiting of his coveted new line of travel trunks. It’s one of the earliest examples of fashion branding.
The LV monogram would soon appear on everything from bags and various fashion accessories to alligator-skin champagne cases, from stylish apparel and earrings to teddy bears and airplane models.
On 1stDibs, the unmistakable insignia can be found on both modern and vintage Louis Vuitton shoulder bags, suitcases, original 19th-century trunks, jackets and more.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 14 days of delivery.
- Chinese Mahogany Low Alter Table with Birds & Flora DesignLocated in Shrewsbury, GBA Chinese mahogany low alter table inspired by Chinese design. An elegantly simple shape with intricate Chinese design details. The frieze has geometri...Category
20th Century Side TablesMaterials
- Late 18th Century Small Lady's Mahogany Writing Desk with Ink Pot & WellLocated in Shrewsbury, GBA superb George III lady's mahogany writing desk with hidden ink pots and a drawer, circa 1790. The desk stands on four reeded legs and on original brass castors. An unusual feature is a hidden store for two ink pots and a pen holder. There is a plain frieze with a useful large drawer, with original brass handles. The writing desk...Category
Antique Late 18th Century George III Desks and Writing TablesMaterials
- Mid 19th Century Brown Leather Library Chair with Carved Dolphin Arms, MahoganyLocated in Shrewsbury, GBMid 19th century mahogany leather library armchair. The button down deep brownleather is in perfect condition and luxurious to touch. The mahogany carved fish arms provide superb int...Category
Antique Mid-19th Century ArmchairsMaterials
- Late 19th Century Carlo Bugatti Large Centre Table with Vellum & Beaten CopperBy Carlo BugattiLocated in Shrewsbury, GBA large Centre Carlo Bugatti table with the most beautiful intricate decorations. Within the highly stylised decoration you can see many cultural references and inspirations - Mooris...Category
Antique Late 19th Century Italian Center TablesMaterials
- Mid 19th Century Victorian Carved Mahogany CanterburyLocated in Shrewsbury, GBAn incredibly handsome early Victorian mahogany canterbury. With four shaped pierced dividers, joined by turned balusters, above a cavetto-moulded plinth, enclosing a mahogany frieze...Category
Antique Mid-19th Century European Early Victorian Magazine Racks and StandsMaterials
- Late 19th Century Rococo Marble Topped Mahogany & Ormolu Mounted Centre TableLocated in Shrewsbury, GBA 19th century marble topped mahogany and ormolu mounted centre table. It has distinctive Rococo Revival charecteristics being marble topped, made of mahogany, with ornate nature bas...Category
Antique Late 19th Century Rococo Revival Center TablesMaterials
- Wardrobe Louis Vuitton TrunkBy Louis VuittonLocated in palm beach, FLIn 1870’s, the Wardrobe trunk became the ultimate symbol of Parisian chic for outfits and accessories. Since, it undergoes a constant evolution to keep pace with the exigences of mod...Category
Vintage 1980s French Wardrobes and ArmoiresMaterials
- 1920's Louis Vuitton Trunk, Louis Vuitton Steamer Trunk in MonogramBy Louis VuittonLocated in Saint-Ouen, FRSuperb Louis Vuitton steamer trunk featuring stenciled canvas, all leather trim in deep chocolate color, solid brass Louis Vuitton stamped clasps, lock and studs, solid brass corners...Category
Vintage 1920s French Trunks and LuggageMaterials
- Rare Antique French Goyard Wardrobe Steamer TrunkLocated in Atlanta, GAA large and impressive E. Goyard steamer trunk, Paris, France circa 1900. It features a dome shaped trunk case covered with Goyard signature chevron canvas and befitted with patinate...Category
Early 20th Century French Trunks and LuggageMaterials
- Goyard Goyardine Steamer Wardrobe Trunk, 1912, FranceBy GoyardLocated in Biebergemund, HessenEarly 1910s very rare Goyard wardrobe trunk handmade in France. This was the biggest trunk that was ever made by Goyard. The trunk is in very good condition with nice patina. Perfect...Category
Early 20th Century French Country Trunks and LuggageMaterials
- 1920s-1930s Goyard Trunk, Goyard Wardrobe Double Hanging Section Steamer TrunkBy GoyardLocated in Saint-Ouen, FRThis beautiful Goyard wardrobe features the very famous and sought after chevrons canvas as well as solid brass fittings: solid brass lock, clasps and corners. Its main lock is stamp...Category
Vintage 1920s French Wardrobes and ArmoiresMaterials
- 1920's Louis Vuitton Trunk, Louis Vuitton Steamer Trunk, Louis Vuitton Hat TrunkBy Louis VuittonLocated in Saint-Ouen, FRSuperb Louis Vuitton steamer trunk featuring stenciled canvas, all leather trim in deep chocolate color, solid brass Louis Vuitton stamped clasps, lock and studs, solid brass corners...Category
Vintage 1920s French Trunks and LuggageMaterials
- 20th Century Luigi Massoni Poltrona Frau Dilly Dally Vanity Dressing Table, 60sBy Luigi Massoni, Poltrona FrauLocated in Turin, TurinDressing table model Dilly Dally designed by Luigi Massoni for Poltrona Frau in 1960s. The dressing table is composed of two pieces, one round armchair (which alone measures 70 x 65 x 60 cm) and the table itself with space for accessories and a round mirror. It has a wooden structure with faux leather upholstery, chrome metal, mirrored crystal and Abs. The upholstery is completely restored in light brown faux leather and in good condition. The two pieces can be easily moved thanks to wheels. Presence of the original brand mark as shown in photos. Published in: - Domus n. 466, settembre 1968; - Domus n. 488, luglio 1970, p. 40; - G. Gramigna, Repertorio del design italiano...Category
Vintage 1960s Italian Mid-Century Modern DressersMaterials
Faux Leather, Mirror
- Vintage Rare 1970's Tura Double Rim Brown Lenses Sunglasses Made in JapanBy Aldo TuraLocated in Amsterdam, Noord HollandRare Vintage Tura oversized sunglasses circa 1970's by Tura. This is a seldom and rare piece not only for its aesthetic value but for its importance in the sunglasses and fashion ...Category
1970s French Sunglasses
- Antique Set of (6) French Botanicals from a Monastery School that Opened in 1892Located in Chicago, ILAntique set of (6) French pressed botanicals dating from the late 1800's to the early 1900's (larger and smaller sets are available through 1stdibs). Our extensive collection of antique French pressed botanicals came out of a monastery school that opened in 1892. When the school closed, we were fortunate enough to be able to acquire their entire collection of antique French botanicals, along with their mineral collection...Category
Antique Early 1900s French Country Natural SpecimensMaterials
- Josef Frank for Svenskt Tenn Early Edition 'Flora' CabinetBy Josef Frank, Svenskt TennLocated in Waalwijk, NLJosef Frank for Svenskt Tenn, cabinet ‘Flora’, early edition model 852, mahogany, oak, hand-colored paper, Sweden, designed circa 1937/38, produced 1946/47s. This cabinet follows Frank’s idea to design the surfaces of cabinets in a different, uncommon way. In the early 1930s Frank began to cover cubic cabinets...Category
Vintage 1930s Swedish Scandinavian Modern CabinetsMaterials
Paper, Mahogany, Oak
- Exclusive And Iconic Beetle Brooch in 18 Karat Yellow Gold And Ebony WoodBy Eva SoussanaLocated in Paris, FREva Soussana and her partner the "Atelier Franck Mico", are proud to introduce to you the "Helmet" Beetle, an exclusive and iconic piece created by Eva Soussana and Franck Mico, manu...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Artist BroochesMaterials
18k Gold, Yellow Gold$42,448Free Shipping
Recently ViewedView More
Inside Louis Vuitton’s Most Popular Handbag Collaborations
The venerable brand has earned accolades (and gained new fans) for partnerships that meld fashion with art.
How to Spot a Fake Louis Vuitton
What are the telltale signs that you're holding a real Louis Vuitton and not a knockoff? We spoke with expert Diane D’Amato to find out. Of course, you don't have to worry about fakes on 1stDibs, where every seller is highly vetted.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery