- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Pair of Burl Wood Bedside Tables by Paolo Buffa
- CreatorPaolo Buffa (Designer)
- DimensionsHeight: 24 in (60.96 cm)Width: 23 in (58.42 cm)Depth: 14 in (35.56 cm)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacture1940s
- ConditionGreat shape, minor repairs.
- Seller LocationKilmarnock, VA
- Reference Number1stDibs: U1006208830155
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Kilmarnock, VA
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
About the Designer
With a surname that loosely translates to a synonym for “bizarre” in Italian, Milanese designer and architect Paolo Buffa is best known for capturing the best of both old and new in his plush, enveloping lounge chairs and wingback chairs as well as his range of modern tables, each dazzling and provocative but built using classical techniques.
Purposely playful and airy, mid-century Italian interiors encouraged merriment and socializing. Buffa’s work was well suited to this, but unlike the postwar designers who established recognizable trademarks and signatures, his vintage furniture for Cassina and other firms — the sculptural side tables and case pieces of walnut and solid oak, the luxurious sheepskin sofas — differed considerably from one design to the next, making them appealing to a range of interior decorators and socialites with specific taste. The son of a highly sought-after artist, Giovanni Buffa, Paolo graduated in 1927 from Politecnico di Milano. He then spent time working under architects and designers Gio Ponti and Emilio Lancia. Ponti, who himself crafted thousands of furnishings and endlessly creative rooms, was so taken with the young designer that in 1928 he featured his simple and elegant rosewood dressing table in his new magazine, Domus.
After opening a firm with his regular collaborator Antonio Cassi Ramelli, Buffa became one of the leading tastemakers of Italian mid-century modern furnishings, designing for villas and residential buildings across the country. His style was a mix of Art Deco, Rationalism, neoclassicism and a bit of whimsy. He used high-quality materials and regularly worked with local ateliers known for their fine craftsmanship to produce his designs, such as Serafino Arrighi and Marelli & Colico. In 1940, he partnered with the Mario Quarti furniture studio on the royal palace of Albania’s King Zog, with Buffa designing the furniture, and in 1951, Egypt’s King Farouk enlisted him to redecorate his yacht.
While Buffa’s transcendent pieces are now collector’s items, there are a few still in production, such as those he made with Angelo Marelli. His eponymous firm, the Italian furniture producer Eredi Marelli, still manufactures some designs based on Buffa’s archives.
Find a collection of vintage Paolo Buffa furniture today on 1stDibs.
- Pair of Cerused Oak End TablesLocated in Kilmarnock, VAPair of custom ebonized cerused oak end tables with dovetail solid wood construction and a built in glass shelf. These were finished with silver mica in the grain which offers a sub...Category
Late 20th Century American End TablesMaterials
Oak$7,200 / set
- Pair of Arm Chairs by Paolo BuffaBy Paolo BuffaLocated in Kilmarnock, VASculptural pair of wingbacks chairs by Paolo Buffa, with interesting reclining backs and stunning lines. Upholstered in white vinyl with cushion for backs, cushion removed for photo...Category
Vintage 1940s Italian Armchairs$12,000 / set
- Pair of Wall Hung Italian Modernist Bedside TablesLocated in Kilmarnock, VAStunning solid Italian walnut wall hung night stands. Incredibly well made and the wood has mellowed nicely with age. Tables have built in drawer as well as a floating glass shelf wi...Category
Vintage 1950s Italian Modern Night StandsMaterials
- Rosewood Sideboard by Paolo BuffaBy Paolo BuffaLocated in Kilmarnock, VAStunning rosewood sideboard by Paolo Buffa with brass work attributed to Giovanni Gariboldi. Stunning lines and proportions. Every line on the piece works together harmoniously. ...Category
Vintage 1940s Italian Modern SideboardsMaterials
- Large Rosewood Console by Paolo BuffaBy Paolo BuffaLocated in Kilmarnock, VAImpressive rosewood console by Italian designer Paolo Buffa. Long rosewood console featuring elegant legs supported by brass sabots, and a marquetry neoclassical lidded tazza flanke...Category
Vintage 1940s Italian Console TablesMaterials
- Four Black Lacquered Chairs by Paolo BuffaBy Paolo BuffaLocated in Kilmarnock, VAStunning modernist set of chairs by Paolo Buffa in black lacquer and full grain black leather.Category
Vintage 1950s Italian ChairsMaterials
Leather, Mahogany, Lacquer$5,600 / set
- Pair Italian Modern End Tables by Paolo BuffaBy Paolo BuffaLocated in Brooklyn, NYThis stylish pair of 1950s nightstands feature elegant Italian Modern design, and make excellent two tier bedside tables in any interior. Stylish glass shelf, sculpted two tone frame...Category
Vintage 1950s Italian Mid-Century Modern Night StandsMaterials
Glass, Wood$2,600 / set
- Italian Pair of Nightstands Attributed to Paolo BuffaBy Paolo BuffaLocated in Los Angeles, CARosewood pair of 1950s Italian nightstands or end tables. Brass bouts on the bottom of the feet. Attributed to Paolo Buffa. Rivers glass on top and glass shelf.Category
Vintage 1950s Italian Mid-Century Modern End TablesMaterials
- Paolo Buffa Bedside Tables Wood Brass, 1940, ItalyBy Paolo BuffaLocated in Milano, ITPaolo Buffa bedside tables wood brass, 1940, Italy.Category
Vintage 1940s Italian Other Night StandsMaterials
- Paolo Buffa Single Bed and Bedside Table in WoodBy Paolo BuffaLocated in Milano, ITThis wooden single bed and bedside table are designed by Paolo Buffa in the 1950s and they are of fine Italian workmanship. The bed has a classic rectangular shape, totally made of w...Category
Vintage 1950s Italian Mid-Century Modern Bedroom SetsMaterials
- 20th Century Brown Italian Pair of Mahogany, Brass Bedside Tables by Paolo BuffaBy Paolo BuffaLocated in West Palm Beach, FLA dark-brown, vintage Mid-Century Modern Italian pair of bedside tables made of hand crafted veneered Mahogany, designed by Paolo Buffa in good condition. The polished nightstands ar...Category
Mid-20th Century Italian Mid-Century Modern Night StandsMaterials
- Mid-Century Modern Set of Bedside Tables by Paolo Buffa Italy, 1950sBy Paolo BuffaLocated in Oostrum-Venray, NLA beautiful pair of Mid-Century Modern nightstands by the Italian designer Paolo Buffa. They have a semi-floating clear glass top on top of a "Fontana Del Arte" green-marbled colo...Category
Vintage 1950s Italian Mid-Century Modern Night StandsMaterials
Marble$3,912 Sale Price20% Off