FENDI Ski Helmet
About the Item
Like other major European luxury fashion houses, Fendi started small. Adele Casagrande was an Italian creative who loved fashion and sold leather and fur accessories from a tiny workshop she opened in Rome in 1918. However, after marrying Edoardo Fendi in 1925, her business model was altered dramatically. Together, the couple changed the boutique’s name to Fendi and moved into a bigger storefront, which quickly became the favorite shop of women all over Italy’s capital city for furs and leathers, such as handbags, coats and accessories.
As time moved on for Adele and Edoardo, the couple began to share more responsibility to their five daughters, who assumed management of the company during the 1950s. Fendi’s audience broadened and its profitability has soared over the years, owing to the brand’s fresh perspective on fashion world happenings and innovative sensibility. The maison also has a distinctive relationship with old-world Italian craftsmanship. The Selleria bags were the work of master saddlers in Rome, and Fendi partnered with lace artisans in southern Italy as well as craftsmen in the east trained in the intrecciato (intertwined) technique (an idea that Adele introduced during the 1940s), which, in Fendi’s case, sees an interwoven leather fabric integrated in the creation of its handbags, countering leather’s traditional rigidity with a bag that is soft, versatile and fitted with an alluring slouchy curve.
It wasn’t until 1965, however, when a young German designer named Karl Lagerfeld took the creative helm that Fendi became a world-renowned fashion house. In fact, Lagerfeld, who produced four to five collections yearly for the brand, is credited with creating Fendi’s instantly recognizable double-F logo (which stands for “Fun Furs”) in “less than five seconds.” Until Lagerfeld started designing for the brand, fur was a material mostly associated with heavy coats that few people actually wore. Lagerfeld reimagined fur in creative ways, using it as an accent on purses, cuffs on dress sleeves and collars on wool coats.
Over the ensuing years, Fendi has broken into the home-goods market with Fendi Casa and has become synonymous with luxury fashion, producing such pieces as the iconic Baguette, which was rendered ever popular on the television series Sex and the City. In fact, an entire episode during the third season was dedicated to the “original It bag,” a slim accessory tapered in a manner that recalls its namesake, designed in 1997 by Adele and Edoardo’s granddaughter Silvia Venturini Fendi, who was named creative director of accessories three years earlier.
Perhaps just as well known as its vintage Baguette handbags and creative use of fur is the brand’s devotion to its Italian roots. In 2013, Fendi donated more than 2 million euros to restore Rome’s Trevi Fountain, and when it was reopened to visitors, Fendi hosted its Autumn/Winter 2017 show on top of the landmark.
Fendi was a family-controlled brand until 1999 and is now owned by LVMH. In late 2020, British fashion designer Kim Jones was named the house’s artistic director for womens wear.
Find a wide variety of vintage Fendi handbags and purses, clothing and other accessories on 1stDibs.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Paris, France
- Return PolicyThis item cannot be returned.
- HERMES Black And Gold Silk HatBy HermèsLocated in Paris, FRThe hat is from Maison HERMES. It is like a scarf that you would have tied around your head. The hat is in very good condition. His head circumference is 57 centimeters. Presence of the Hermès Paris...Category
2010s French Hats
- Maison Michel Suede Lamb Leather BeretBy Maison MichelLocated in Paris, FRMust-Have. This beret is unisex in smooth suede lamb leather, black in color. In very good used condition. Made In France. Size L. Will be delivered in its transparent box...Category
2010s French Hats
- HERMES Size 57 Black Calf Leather and Grey Cashmere Bucket HatBy HermèsLocated in Paris, FRHermès black calf leather and grey cashmere bucket hat. Size 57 It comes from private Sales Dimensions : width of the edges: 4 cmCategory
21st Century and Contemporary Hats
- 2000s Gianni Versace by Donatella Greek Key Enamel Buckle Wool Wide Brim HatBy Donatella Versace for Gianni Versace, Gianni VersaceLocated in Philadelphia, PAPresenting a versatile floppy Gianni Versace hat, designed by Donatella Versace. From the early 2000s, this hat can be worn down as a floppy hat or with th...Category
Early 2000s Italian Hats
- F/W 1996 Dolce & Gabbana NWT Brown Nylon Animal Print Vintage Bucket HatBy Dolce & GabbanaLocated in Philadelphia, PAPresenting a vintage brown zebra print Dolce and Gabbana bucket hat. From the Fall/Winter 1996 collection, this classic bucket hat is outfitted in brown and beige zebra print nylon. ...Category
1990s Italian Hats
- Early 1990s Gianni Versace Medusa Greek Key Medallion Brimmed Wool HatBy Gianni VersaceLocated in Philadelphia, PAPresenting a chic Gianni Versace Couture hat, designed by Gianni Versace. From the early 1990s, this brimmed hat in black wool prominently features a large gold Medusa logo emblem on...Category
1990s Italian Hats
- Dolce & Gabbana Pastel made in Italy Butterfly Oversized Sunglasses NIBBy Dolce & GabbanaLocated in Boston, MACreamy peach pastel frame with flattering, butterfly-shaped lens. In boxes, with bag and everything included in the photos. Unused gift. Tag is still attached.Category
2010s Italian Sunglasses
- 1990s Cartier Vintage Sunglasses Black with Silver LogoBy CartierLocated in North Hollywood, CAVintage Cartier classic black sunglasses with silver CC logo. Classic, timeless, sophisticated piece to add to your wardrobe Authentic, vintage, rare, Cartier Paris France Black Jackie O. Sunglasses Original 1990s Cartier sunglasses features black frame, both arms sport the CC from Cartier iconic logo signature temple adornment. These are like a pair of jewels on your nose. Beautiful design and a real sign of the times. Designed and produced in the 90's limited edition. Description: Classic vintage Cartier black resin sunglasses. Comes with original case. Period: 1990s Condition: Good, may show minor sign of wear due to age. All hallmarks. Classic sunglasses...Category
20th Century French Sunglasses
- 14k Gold lorgnette tortoise handle opera glassesLocated in Wallkill, NYThis gorgeous antique lorgnette is a beautiful example of old-world style and features exceptionally elegant details. As you can see, this lorgnette features "folding" frames that overlap one another. When a tiny lever on the handle is depressed, the lenses snap open into a more recognizable "eyeglasses" shape. the handle is made from genuine tortoise shell...Category
1930s Unknown Visors
Recently ViewedView All
The Fendi Baguette Is an ‘It’ Bag Again, 25 Years After Its Introduction
Iconic Italian fashion houses Fendi and Versace teamed up on this delightfully outrageous Fendace reimagining.
14 Iconic Luxury Handbags and the Stories behind Them
When the name of a bag is as well-known as its brand, you know it's a classic.