Like other major European luxury fashion houses, Fendi started small. Adele Casagrande was an Italian creative who loved fashion and sold leather and fur accessories from a tiny workshop she opened in Rome in 1918. However, after marrying Edoardo Fendi in 1925, her business model was altered dramatically. Together, the couple changed the boutique’s name to Fendi and moved into a bigger storefront, which quickly became the favorite shop of women all over Italy’s capital city for furs and leathers, such as handbags, coats and accessories.
As time moved on for Adele and Edoardo, the couple began to distribute more responsibility to their five daughters, who assumed management of the company during the 1950s. Fendi’s audience broadened and its profitability has soared over the years, owing to the brand’s fresh perspective on fashion world happenings and innovative sensibility. The maison also has a distinctive relationship with old-world Italian craftsmanship. The Selleria bags were the work of master saddlers in Rome, and Fendi partnered with lace artisans in southern Italy as well as craftsmen in the east trained in the intrecciato (intertwined) technique (an idea that Adele introduced during the 1940s), which, in Fendi’s case, sees an interwoven leather fabric integrated in the creation of its handbags, countering leather’s traditional rigidity with a bag that is soft, versatile and fitted with an alluring slouchy curve.
It wasn’t until 1965, however, when a young German designer named Karl Lagerfeld took the creative helm that Fendi became a world-renowned fashion house. In fact, Lagerfeld, who produced four to five collections yearly for the brand, is credited with creating Fendi’s instantly recognizable double-F logo (which stands for “Fun Furs”) in “less than five seconds.” Until Lagerfeld started designing for the brand, fur was a material mostly associated with heavy coats that few people actually wore. Lagerfeld reimagined fur in creative ways, using it as an accent on purses, cuffs on dress sleeves and collars on wool coats.
Over the ensuing years, Fendi has broken into the home-goods market with Fendi Casa and has become synonymous with luxury fashion, producing such pieces as the iconic Baguette, which was rendered ever popular on the television series Sex and the City. In fact, an entire episode during the third season was dedicated to the “original It bag,” a slim accessory tapered in a manner that recalls its namesake, designed in 1997 by Adele and Edoardo’s granddaughter Silvia Venturini Fendi, who was named creative director of accessories three years earlier.
Perhaps just as well known as its vintage Baguette handbags and creative use of fur is the brand’s devotion to its Italian roots. In 2013, Fendi donated more than 2 million euros to restore Rome’s Trevi Fountain, and when it was reopened to visitors, Fendi hosted its Autumn/Winter 2017 show on top of the landmark.
Fendi was a family-controlled brand until 1999 and is now owned by LVMH. In late 2020, British fashion designer Kim Jones was named the house’s artistic director for womens wear.
Find a wide variety of vintage Fendi handbags and purses, clothing and other accessories on 1stDibs.
2010s Italian Fendi
1990s Italian Fendi
2010s Italian Fendi
21st Century and Contemporary Fendi
Early 2000s Fendi
21st Century and Contemporary Fendi
Designers Similar to Fendi
The Fendi Baguette Is an ‘It’ Bag Again, 25 Years After Its Introduction
Iconic Italian fashion houses Fendi and Versace teamed up on this delightfully outrageous Fendace reimagining.
14 Iconic Luxury Handbags and the Stories behind Them
When the name of a bag is as well-known as its brand, you know it's a classic.
Fendi fashion for sale on 1stDibs.
- 1stDibs ExpertApril 5, 2022To authenticate a Fendi belt, first check that the serial number tag is stamped behind the belt, near the buckle. If there’s no number, or if the tagged area is a different color than the rest of the belt, you’re looking at a fake. As with other luxury leather goods, always look for excellent craftsmanship. A genuine Fendi belt should be built to last, so a belt that has uneven stitching or looks excessively worn and damaged is probably not authentic. 1stDibs partners with only top-vetted sellers to offer authentic pieces that come with a buyer protection guarantee. Shop a collection of expertly-vetted Fendi shoes on 1stDibs.
- Does Fendi have a warranty?1 Answer1stDibs ExpertMarch 22, 2022Whether or not Fendi has a warranty depends on the product in question. Fendi watches usually carry a warranty of around two years, and the handbags typically have a one-year manufacturer's guarantee. Fendi normally doesn't offer warranties on apparel and other accessories. You'll find a large selection of Fendi on 1stDibs.
- 1stDibs ExpertMarch 22, 2022Yes, some Fendi Bag Bugs are made out of metal, such as the belt buckles, rings and watches. Other items in the Bag Bug collection are not made out of metal, such as the purse charms that are made of real fur or the bags and wallets that are made of leather. Find a variety of Fendi accessories on 1stDibs.
- Are Fendi and Fenty the same?1 Answer1stDibs ExpertMarch 22, 2022No, Fenty and Fendi are not the same. Fendi is a luxury fashion house based in Rome, Italy. Adele Casagrande founded the company in 1925. Fenty is a beauty brand that sells cosmetics and fragrances. The singer Rihanna established it in 2017. Shop a collection of Fendi on 1stDibs.
- Are Fendi dust bags black?1 Answer1stDibs ExpertMarch 22, 2022Yes, some Fendi dust bags are black. The luxury fashion house also uses white, light gray and light beige dust bags for some of its bags, shoes and other accessories. All Fendi dust bags usually have drawstring tops and say "Fendi" or "Fendi Roma." Shop a selection of expertly vetted Fendi accessories on 1stDibs.
- Are Fendi shoes comfortable?1 Answer1stDibs ExpertMarch 22, 2022Whether or not Fendi shoes are comfortable is a matter of personal perception. However, the brand does add features to their shoes to help enhance the fit. An example is the stretchy elastic heel strap found on the Colibri Pump. Shop a collection of Fendi shoes on 1stDibs.
- What are Fendi bags made of?1 Answer1stDibs ExpertMarch 22, 2022Fendi makes bags out of a variety of materials. Many bags feature crocodile, lambskin or cowhide leathers. The brand also produces cotton, wool and other fabric bags. Fendi offers some bags in more than one material. Others feature a single material available in an array of colors. On 1stDibs, shop a selection of Fendi bags.
- 1stDibs ExpertApril 5, 2022All Fendi products come with a card of authenticity, which includes a serial number. It’s important to purchase from a vetted seller or vendor to ensure authenticity. While Fendi has at times inspired knockoffs, 1stDibs partners with only top-vetted sellers to offer authentic pieces that come with a buyer protection guarantee. Shop a collection of expertly-vetted Fendi shoes on 1stDibs.
- 1stDibs ExpertApril 5, 2022Most Fendi bags have a serial number located on the back of the interior leather logo tag. However, vintage bags made before 1980 never have serial numbers. It’s important to purchase from a vetted seller or vendor to ensure authenticity. While Fendi has at times inspired knockoffs, 1stDibs partners with only top-vetted sellers to offer authentic pieces that come with a buyer protection guarantee.
- 1stDibs ExpertMarch 22, 2022Yes, Fendi sunglasses have UV protection. In fact, all tinted sunglasses have the ability to filter out some environmental UV light. The amount of UV filtration varies from style to style. Sunglasses with a UV 400 rating offer 100 percent UV protection. You'll find a variety of Fendi sunglasses on 1stDibs.
- 1stDibs ExpertMarch 22, 2022Yes, Fendi belts typically have serial numbers. To find one, look behind the buckle. The number should appear as an engraving on the metal. Belts with the serial number printed on a fabric tag are likely inauthentic. On 1stDibs, find a range of expertly vetted Fendi belts.
- Do Fendi belts come in a box?1 Answer1stDibs ExpertMarch 22, 2022Yes, Fendi belts typically come in a box. Usually, the packaging has a rectangle shape and is bright yellow in color. The words "Fendi" or "Fendi Roma" appear on the front. Find a selection of expertly vetted Fendi belts on 1stDibs.
- 1stDibs ExpertMarch 22, 2022Yes, Jackson Wang is the spokesperson for Fendi in China. Wang was born in Hong Kong and became famous as a member of the Korean boy band GOT7. He also owns the record label Team Wang. You'll find a range of Fendi apparel and accessories on 1stDibs.
- How heavy is a Fendi Peekaboo?1 Answer1stDibs ExpertMarch 22, 2022The weight of a Fendi Peekaboo bag varies based on its size and materials. Generally, the Peekaboo Mini is the lightest option, while the Peekaboo Large and Peekaboo X-Lite Large are the heaviest. Find a range of Fendi Peekaboo bags on 1stDibs.
- 1stDibs ExpertApril 5, 2022Fendi is known to occasionally hold Black Friday sales, but it isn’t guaranteed every year. For more information, contact your local authorized retailer. On 1stDibs, you’ll find a collection of vintage and contemporary Fendi apparel from some of the world’s top boutiques.
- Are Fendi belts made in italy?1 Answer1stDibs ExpertApril 5, 2022Yes, all Fendi belts are made in Italy. Fendi products that say “Made in China” or any place other than Italy are most certainly fakes. Shop a collection of expertly-vetted vintage and contemporary Fendi clothing and accessories from some of the world’s top boutiques on 1stDibs.
- Is Fendi sizing Italian?1 Answer1stDibs ExpertMarch 22, 2022Yes, Fendi sizing is Italian for most of its apparel, footwear and accessories. The only exception is men's shoes, which come in UK sizes. Consult the official size charts provided on the Fendi website for more information. You'll find a collection of Fendi apparel and accessories on 1stDibs.
- 1stDibs ExpertMarch 22, 2022How heavy Fendi slip-on shoes are depends on the style, the size and the materials. Generally, sandals and slides like the Fendi Signature will weigh less than other footwear like the O'Lock loafer. On 1stDibs, find a collection of Fendi shoes.
- 1stDibs ExpertMarch 22, 2022Karl Lagerfeld designed for Fendi for 52 years. He joined the company in 1967. His original assignment was just to update the brand's fur collection, but his work with the brand went far beyond that initial task. Find a collection of Fendi on 1stDibs.
- 1stDibs ExpertMarch 22, 2022On a Fendi bag, SAS stands for "société par actions simplifiée." You will most likely see it printed on a label inside the bag. The phrase describes a type of French business entity and refers to the business structure of Fendi. On 1stDibs, shop a collection of Fendi bags.