Tapio Wirkkala Porcelain Monumental Paper Bag Vase, 1977
View Similar Items
Tapio Wirkkala Porcelain Monumental Paper Bag Vase, 1977
- Creator:Tapio Wirkkala (Manufacturer)
- Dimensions:Height: 19.5 in (49.53 cm)Width: 7.5 in (19.05 cm)Depth: 13.25 in (33.66 cm)
- Style:Mid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:1977
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use.
- Seller Location:Los Angeles, CA
- Reference Number:Seller: C15-PDF4221stDibs: LU79486978493
About the Manufacturer
Along with architect Alvar Aalto, the designer Tapio Wirkkala was Finland’s leading contributor to the Scandinavian interpretation of modernism in the mid-20th century. Prolific and innovative, Wirkkala excelled in a wide range of fields, including glass, furniture, porcelain, jewelry and tableware. The hallmark of his talent was an ability to impart a craft aesthetic based on natural forms — leaves, ice, bubbles, birds — to industrially produced designs.
A native of Helsinki, Wirkkala studied at the national School of Applied Arts and took up a career in graphic design. After serving in the Finnish army during World War II, he joined the glassmaking firm Iittala, an association that would continue to the end of his life. Wirkkala learned every aspect of glassmaking in keeping with his belief that an artist-designer should be involved in all stages of production. His best-known works for Iittala are vases and drinking vessels that resemble either carved ice or icicles. In 1956, Wirkkala began a long relationship with the porcelain maker Rosenthal, for whom he designed elegant table pieces, such as the Finlandia coffee service and the biomorphic Pollo vases.
House Beautiful magazine declared Wirkkala’s Leaf platter the “most beautiful object” of 1951. (The acclaim led to his brief employment stint with industrial designer Raymond Loewy in New York.) That platter was one of the first designs Wirkkala made using laminated sheets of plywood sanded to a smooth surface that resembles an abstract leaf. It would go on to become a motif in many Wirkkala furniture pieces — most notably in inlaid coffee tables for Asko — and in a sense these are the works most emblematic of his personal aesthetic.
Wirkkala was a traditionalist in many ways, but he had a modernist’s practical approach, incorporating his leaf-like spirals into simple, functional objects. That is the core attraction of Wirkkala’s designs: They stand out with a striking, sculptural energy yet blend in as part of a warm and comfortable decor.
Find vintage Tapio Wirkkala furniture on 1stDibs.
- Laminated Plywood and Iron Low Table by Tapio WirkkalaBy Tapio WirkkalaLocated in Los Angeles, CALaminated plywood and iron low table by Tapio Wirkkala for ASKO.Category
Vintage 1950s Finnish Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
IronPrice Upon Request
- Horst Bruning DaybedBy Horst BruningLocated in Los Angeles, CAHorst Bruning for Alfred Kill International daybed, Germany 1960'sCategory
Mid-20th Century German Mid-Century Modern DaybedsMaterials
ChromePrice Upon Request
- ROSENTHAL - Tapio Wirkkala - Porcelain 'Paper Bag' Vase - Germany - Circa 1977By Rosenthal, Tapio WirkkalaLocated in Chatham, ONROSENTHAL (Manufacturer, 1879-Present) - TAPIO WIRKKALA (Designer, 1915-1985) - Mid Century pop art porcelain 'paper bag' vase (part of Rosenthal's Studio Line) - featuring a matte f...Category
Mid-20th Century German Mid-Century Modern VasesMaterials
Porcelain$1,950 Sale Price35% Off
- Tapio Wirkkala Huge Paper Back Vase for Rosentahl, 1977By Rosenthal, Tapio WirkkalaLocated in Munich, DERare large paper bag vase designed by Tapio Wirkkala and manufactured by Rosenthal, Germany 1977. This vase is made of porcelain (stoneware) and looks like a paper bag. The vase is m...Category
Vintage 1970s German Mid-Century Modern VasesMaterials
- Original Huge 1977 Tapio Wirkkala "Paper Bag" Ceramic Vase for RosenthalBy Rosenthal, Tapio WirkkalaLocated in Grand Cayman, KYPaper or plastic or…Wirkkala’s fun and whimsical 1977 Pop Art take on tromp l’oeil, something that is not what it appears to be. Here, a used paper bag ...Category
Vintage 1970s German Scandinavian Modern VasesMaterials
- Set of 3 Paper Bag Vases by Tapio Wirkkala for Rosenthal, Germany, 1960sBy Rosenthal, Tapio WirkkalaLocated in Nürnberg, BayernSet of three paper bag vases designed by Tapio Wirkkala and manufactured by Rosenthal, Germany, 1977. The large vase is 15cm high, 10cm wide and 6cm deep. The small vase is 10cm h...Category
Vintage 1960s German Mid-Century Modern CeramicsMaterials
- Tapio Wirkkala Ovalis Glass VaseBy Iittala, Tapio WirkkalaLocated in Ferndale, MITapio Wirkkala Ovalis 3036 vase for Iittala, Finland. A little later production as it is stamped on underside.Category
20th Century Finnish Mid-Century Modern VasesMaterials
- Tapio Wirkkala "Iceberg" Vase 3825By Tapio WirkkalaLocated in Toronto, OntarioThe iconic "Iceberg" vase by Tapio Wirkkala for Iittala, Finland. This vase is an incredibly heavy still-mould blown solid crystal piece. Created by the Finnish master to resemb...Category
Vintage 1950s Finnish Mid-Century Modern VasesMaterials
Recently ViewedView All
Tapio Wirkkala Bucked the Trends of Mid-Century Nordic Design
The Finnish talent created nature-inspired pieces, from furniture to jewelry, with phenomenal staying power.
JF Chen Moves Stools Out of the Corner and into the Spotlight
In Los Angeles, dealer Joel Chen gives the often clever and always versatile seats some long-overdue attention.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery