- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Tapio Wirkkala Huge Paper Back Vase for Rosentahl, 1977
- DimensionsHeight: 19.3 in (49 cm)Width: 13.39 in (34 cm)Depth: 6.7 in (17 cm)
- StyleMid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacture1977
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use.
- Seller LocationMunich, DE
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU1005029848322
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: München, Germany
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 14 days of delivery.
About the Designer
Along with architect Alvar Aalto, the designer Tapio Wirkkala was Finland’s leading contributor to the Scandinavian interpretation of modernism in the mid-20th century. Prolific and innovative, Wirkkala excelled in a wide range of fields, including glass, furniture, porcelain, jewelry and tableware. The hallmark of his talent was an ability to impart a craft aesthetic based on natural forms — leaves, ice, bubbles, birds — to industrially produced designs.
A native of Helsinki, Wirkkala studied at the national School of Applied Arts and took up a career in graphic design. After serving in the Finnish army during World War II, he joined the glassmaking firm Iittala, an association that would continue to the end of his life. Wirkkala learned every aspect of glassmaking in keeping with his belief that an artist-designer should be involved in all stages of production. His best-known works for Iittala are vases and drinking vessels that resemble either carved ice or icicles. In 1956, Wirkkala began a long relationship with the porcelain maker Rosenthal, for whom he designed elegant table pieces, such as the Finlandia coffee service and the biomorphic Pollo vases.
House Beautiful magazine declared Wirkkala’s Leaf platter the “most beautiful object” of 1951. (The acclaim led to his brief employment stint with industrial designer Raymond Loewy in New York.) That platter was one of the first designs Wirkkala made using laminated sheets of plywood sanded to a smooth surface that resembles an abstract leaf. It would go on to become a motif in many Wirkkala furniture pieces — most notably in inlaid coffee tables for Asko — and in a sense these are the works most emblematic of his personal aesthetic.
Wirkkala was a traditionalist in many ways, but he had a modernist’s practical approach, incorporating his leaf-like spirals into simple, functional objects. That is the core attraction of Wirkkala’s designs: They stand out with a striking, sculptural energy yet blend in as part of a warm and comfortable decor.
Find vintage Tapio Wirkkala furniture on 1stDibs.
- Bruno Gambone Stoneware White Blue Vase SetBy Bruno GamboneLocated in Munich, DEBruno Gambone set of three vase in white and blue stoneware Italy 1970s, signed Gambone, Italy. 40 H x 16 D, 31 H x 13 D, 24 H x 11 D cm.Category
Vintage 1970s Italian Mid-Century Modern VasesMaterials
Stoneware$7,715 / set
- Monumental Acrylic Vase Red, Italy, 1990sLocated in Munich, DEExtraordinary acrylic resin vase in purple color with raw finish for a decorative statement in your entrance hall or outside on your terrace.Category
1990s Italian VasesMaterials
- Wonderful Rythmic Veneer Coffee Table by Tapio WirkkalaBy Tapio WirkkalaLocated in Munich, DERarest variation of this table. Very rare size ands unusual wood legs. Branded Asko stamp.Category
Vintage 1950s Finnish Mid-Century Modern Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
- Huge German Ceramic Vase / Umbrella Stand, 1957Located in Munich, DEVery huge Mid-Century German ceramic vase with a fantastic raw finish.Category
Vintage 1950s German Mid-Century Modern CeramicsMaterials
- Eric Astoul Huge Brutalist Studio Ceramic Vase Brown, FranceBy Eric AstoulLocated in Munich, DEMaster ceramic artist Eric Astoul created these brutalist art pottery as part of a series inspired by both modern and ancient stoneware, which, with its rough firing, flips the tradi...Category
Late 20th Century French Mid-Century Modern VasesMaterials
- Huge Bruno Gambone Art Pottery Light Green Vase Set of 3By Bruno GamboneLocated in Munich, DEBruno Gambone set of three vases in greige and light green glazed stoneware Italy 1980s, signed Gambone, Italy. Measures: 46 H x 20 B x 8 D cm other heights 34.5 and 20 cmCategory
Vintage 1980s Italian Mid-Century Modern VasesMaterials
- Original 1977 Tapio Wirkkala "Paper Bag" Ceramic Vase for RosenthalBy Rosenthal, Tapio WirkkalaLocated in Grand Cayman, KYPaper or plastic or…Wirkkala’s fun and whimsical 1977 Pop Art take on tromp l’oeil, something that is not what it appears to be. Here, a used paper bag is actually a porcelain vase. ...Category
Vintage 1970s German Scandinavian Modern VasesMaterials
Ceramic, Porcelain$1,500 Sale Price40% Off
- Tapio Wirkkala "Paper Bag" Ceramic Vase for RosenthalBy Rosenthal, Tapio WirkkalaLocated in Grand Cayman, KYPaper or plastic or…Wirkkala’s fun and whimsical 1977 Pop Art take on tromp l’oeil, something that is not what it appears to be. Here, a used paper bag is actually a porcelain vase. ...Category
Vintage 1970s German Scandinavian Modern VasesMaterials
Ceramic, Porcelain$900 Sale Price40% Off
- Tapio Wirkkala Ceramic Paper Bag Vase for RosenthalBy Tapio WirkkalaLocated in San Francisco, CAIconic Finnish designer Tapio Wirkkala (1915-1985) for Rosenthal Studio-Line of Germany ceramic paper bag vase in a white glaze. Made to look like an old paper bag, this vase can be ...Category
Vintage 1970s German Mid-Century Modern VasesMaterials
- Ceramic Paper Bag Vase Designed by Tapio Wirkkala for Rosenthal, Germany, 1970sBy Rosenthal, Tapio WirkkalaLocated in Barcelona, ESTapio Wirkkalas playful ceramic paper bag vase in Kraft brown color. Original 1970s edition.Category
Mid-20th Century German Post-Modern VasesMaterials
- Tapio Wirkkala and Dorothy Hafner Vase for RosenthalBy Tapio Wirkkala, Rosenthal, Dorothy HafnerLocated in Oslo, NORefreshing vase from the 'Century New Wave' series in porcelain. Designed by Tapio Wirkkala and Dorothy Hafner. Made by Rosenthal from 1985. The vase is an exemplary piece from...Category
Vintage 1980s German Post-Modern VasesMaterials
- German Porcelain Vase by Tapio Wirkkala for Rosenthal, 1980sBy Tapio Wirkkala, RosenthalLocated in Bochum, NRWA tall, ovoid shaped white porcelain vase designed in 1970 by Tapio Wirkkala for Rosenthal Studio Line ‘Drops’ pattern as the tactile design on its exterior has raised dots, like rai...Category
Vintage 1980s German Mid-Century Modern VasesMaterials