- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Vladimir Kagan Set of 4 Lucite Barstools, 1975
- CreatorVladimir Kagan (Designer)
- DimensionsHeight: 40 in. (101.6 cm)Width: 20.5 in. (52.07 cm)Depth: 23.5 in. (59.69 cm)Seat Height: 30 in. (76.2 cm)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacture1975
- ConditionNew upholstery, Lucite was polished. Very good original condition. Lucite is very clear and free of cracks, scratches, crazing, cloudiness.
- Seller LocationMiami, FL
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU924021409092
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRates vary by destination and complexity. We recommend this shipping type based on item size, type and fragility.Ships From: Miami, FL
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
About Vladimir Kagan (Designer)
The pioneers of modern furniture design in America in the mid-20th century all had their moments of flamboyance: Charles and Ray Eames produced the startling, biomorphic La Chaise; George Nelson’s firm created the Marshmallow sofa; Edward Wormley had his decadent Listen to Me chaise. But no designer of the day steadily offered works with more verve and dynamism than Vladimir Kagan. While others, it seems, designed with suburban households in mind, Kagan aimed to suit the tastes of young, sophisticated city-dwellers. With signature designs that feature sleekly curved frames and others that have dramatic out-thrust legs, Kagan made furniture sexy.
Kagan’s father was a Russian master cabinetmaker who took his family first to Germany (where Vladimir was born) and then to New York in 1938. After studying architecture at Columbia University, Kagan opened a design firm at age 22 and immediately made a splash with his long, low and sinuous Serpentine sofa. Furniture lines such as the Tri-symmetric group of glass-topped, three-legged tables and the vivacious Contours chairs soon followed.
Kagan’s choices of form and materials evolved through subsequent decades, embracing lucite, aluminum and burl-wood veneers. By the late 1960s, Kagan was designing austere, asymmetrical cabinets and his Omnibus group of modular sofas and chairs. For all his aesthetic élan, Kagan said that throughout his career, his touchstone was comfort. “A lot of modern furniture was not comfortable. And so comfort is: form follows function. The function was to make it comfortable,” he once commented. “I created what I called vessels for the human body.”
A diverse group of bodies have made themselves at home with Kagan designs. Among the famous names who commissioned and collected his designs are Marilyn Monroe, Gary Cooper, Andy Warhol, David Lynch, Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt, and firms such as Gucci and Giorgio Armani. His work is in numerous museum collections, including those of the Victoria & Albert and the Metropolitan Museum of Art.
Because of its idiosyncrasy, Kagan’s work did not lend itself to mass-production. Kagan never signed on with any of the major furniture-making corporations, and examples of his designs are relatively rare. As you will see from the offerings on these pages, even decades after their conception, Kagan pieces still command the eye, with their freshness, energy, sensuality and wit.
- By Vladimir KaganLocated in Miami, FLA fantastic Omnibus I modular sofa. 3 pieces. Measures: Chaise is 72" long. Sofa is 77" long. Smaller piece i...Category
Vintage 1970s American SofasMaterials
Upholstery, LuciteH 27.5 in. W 72 in. D 33 in.$15,000 / set
- By Directional, Vladimir KaganLocated in Miami, FLDouble facing sofa designed by Vladimir Kagan for Directional. Two mirror image sofas that interlock and share t...Category
1990s American SofasMaterials
UltrasuedeH 31 in. W 129 in. D 84 in.$24,000
- By Vladimir KaganLocated in Miami, FLA wood table with chunky mirror polished stainless steel legs. The top has a subtle but beautiful grain pattern....Category
Vintage 1970s North American Coffee and Cocktail TablesH 16 in. W 44 in. D 44 in.$4,500
- By PreviewLocated in Miami, FLA large sectional sofa. 5 pieces. 1 "L" shape corner piece, 2 longer arm pieces and 2 single pieces that could d...Category
Vintage 1980s American Sectional SofasMaterials
Chenille, WoodH 28 in. W 60 in. D 60 in.$8,000
- By Boris TabacoffLocated in Miami, FLA wonderful pair of sculptural chairs. A single sheet of thick, clear Lucite manipulated into an artful practica...Category
Vintage 1970s French ChairsMaterials
Upholstery, LuciteH 33 in. W 18 in. D 18 in.$4,500 / set
You May Also Like
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Dining Room Chairs
21st Century and Contemporary American Stools
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Dining Room Chairs
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Lounge Chairs
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern Lounge Chairs
20th Century Art Deco Stools
Mid-20th Century Spanish Mid-Century Modern Stools
Vintage 1970s Swedish Mid-Century Modern Stools
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Insured Global Delivery