- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Vintage Paul Evans Cityscape Bar Cart Pe 200 Series for Directional
- DimensionsHeight: 36 in. (91.44 cm)Width: 36 in. (91.44 cm)Depth: 19 in. (48.26 cm)
- StyleMid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques
- Date of Manufacturecirca 1960s
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use. age appropriate wear, scratches, light oxidation, castors are missing underneath, some small dings.
- Seller LocationBrooklyn, NY
- Reference NumberSeller: 15447-6641KB1stDibs: LU921821035602
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRates vary by destination and complexity. We recommend this shipping type based on item size, type and fragility.Ships From: Wall, NJ
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 2 days of delivery.
About Paul Evans (Designer)
A designer and sculptor, Paul Evans was a wild card of late 20th century modernism. A leading light of the American Studio Furniture movement, Evans’s work manifests a singular aesthetic sense, as well as a seemingly contradictory appreciation for both “folk art” forms and for new materials and technologies.
Evans’s primary material was metal, not wood, which was favored by his fellow studio designers, and Bucks County, Pennsylvania, neighbors George Nakashima and Philip Lloyd Powell. He trained in metallurgy and studied at the Cranbrook Academy of Art, the famed crucible of modern design and art in suburban Detroit. For a time early in his career, Evans also worked at Sturbridge Village, a historical “living museum” in Massachusetts, where he gave demonstrations as a costumed silversmith.
Evans’s earliest work unites these influences. The pieces that made his reputation are known as “sculpted-front” cabinets: wood cases faced with box-like high-relief patinated steel mounts laid out in a grid pattern. Each mount contains a metal emblem, or glyph, and the effect is that of a brawny quilt.
Evans’s later work falls into three distinct style groups. His sculpted-bronze pieces, begun in the mid-1960s, show Evans at his most expressive. He employed a technique in which resin is hand-shaped, and later sprayed with a metal coating, allowing for artistic nuance in the making of chairs, tables and cabinets. Later in the decade and into the 1970s, Evans produced his Argente series: consoles and other furniture forms that feature aluminum and pigment-infused metal surfaces welded into abstract organic forms and patterns.
Last, Evans's Cityscape design series meshed perfectly with the sleek, “high tech” sensibility of the later ’70s. Evans constructed boxy forms and faced them with irregular mosaic patterns that mixed rectangular plaques of chromed steel, bronze or burlwood veneer. These, like all of Paul Evans’s designs, are both useful and eye-catching. But their appeal has another, more visceral quality: these pieces have clearly been touched by an artist’s hand.
- By Paul EvansLocated in Brooklyn, NYThis Paul Evans Cityscape bar features a polished chrome and brass exterior accompanied by a beautiful slate top...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Dry BarsMaterials
Slate, Brass, ChromeH 36 in. W 60 in. D 24 in.$6,000 Sale Price23% Off
- By Paul Evans, DirectionalLocated in Brooklyn, NYAn iconic vintage modern design by Paul Evans with an elaborate chrome patchwork design. This stylish case piece...Category
Vintage 1970s North American Mid-Century Modern CredenzasMaterials
ChromeH 31.5 in. W 76.5 in. D 21.25 in.$18,000
- By Paul Evans, DirectionalLocated in Brooklyn, NYThis stunning vintage modern cabinet features the iconic patchwork design by Paul Evans. The cityscape burl wood...Category
Vintage 1960s Mid-Century Modern CredenzasMaterials
ChromeH 32.75 in. W 72.25 in. D 20.25 in.$20,000
- By Paul Evans, DirectionalLocated in Brooklyn, NYAn interchangeable design by Paul Evans. Beautiful vintage modern glass top dining table with a two-piece cresce...Category
Vintage 1960s Mid-Century Modern Dining Room TablesMaterials
MetalH 29.5 in. W 71 in. D 39.25 in.$18,000
- By Paul Evans, DirectionalLocated in Brooklyn, NYA stunning vintage modern coffee table by Paul Evans for Directional. This sleek table features a chrome patchwo...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
ChromeH 16 in. W 38 in. D 30 in.$8,000
- By Paul Evans, DirectionalLocated in Brooklyn, NYThis stunning Paul Evans credenza features his iconic design with a lovely patchwork front of olive burl and sta...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern CredenzasMaterials
Stainless SteelH 32 in. W 76.25 in. D 21.25 in.$26,000
You May Also Like
Vintage 1960s American Brutalist Dry Bars
Brass, Copper, Pewter
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Dry Bars
Brass, Bronze, Copper, Pewter
Mid-20th Century American Brutalist Wall-mounted Sculptures
Vintage 1960s American Brutalist Cabinets
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Dry Bars
Vintage 1970s North American Mid-Century Modern Dry Bars
20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Dry Bars
Steel, Gold Leaf
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Sideboards
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Insured Global Delivery