Modern Paul Evans Round Stalagmite Form Base with Glass Top Coffee Table
About the Item
- Creator:Paul Evans (Designer)
- Dimensions:Height: 15 in (38.1 cm)Diameter: 36 in (91.44 cm)
- Style:Modern (In the Style Of)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:20th Century
- Condition:Minor losses. Very good condition with light wear.
- Seller Location:Toledo, OH
- Reference Number:Seller: ap193121stDibs: LU1658234306532
A designer and sculptor, Paul Evans was a wild card of late 20th century modernism. A leading light of the American Studio Furniture movement, Evans’s sideboards, credenzas, coffee tables and other work manifests a singular aesthetic sense, as well as a seemingly contradictory appreciation for both folk art forms and for new materials and technologies.
Evans’s primary material was metal, not wood, which was favored by his fellow studio designers, and Bucks County, Pennsylvania, neighbors George Nakashima and Phillip Lloyd Powell. He trained in metallurgy and studied at the Cranbrook Academy of Art, the famed crucible of modern design and art in suburban Detroit. For a time early in his career, Evans also worked at Sturbridge Village, a historical “living museum” in Massachusetts, where he gave demonstrations as a costumed silversmith.
Evans’s earliest work unites these influences. The pieces that made his reputation are known as “sculpted-front” cabinets: wood cases faced with box-like high-relief patinated steel mounts laid out in a grid pattern. Each mount contains a metal emblem, or glyph, and the effect is that of a brawny quilt.
Evans’s later work falls into three distinct style groups. His sculpted-bronze pieces, begun in the mid-1960s, show Evans at his most expressive. He employed a technique in which resin is hand-shaped, and later sprayed with a metal coating, allowing for artistic nuance in the making of chairs, tables and case pieces. Later in the decade and into the 1970s, Evans produced his Argente series for celebrated manufacturer Directional (a brand known to vintage mid-century modern furniture collectors everywhere): consoles and other furniture forms that feature aluminum and pigment-infused metal surfaces welded into abstract organic forms and patterns.
Last, Evans's Cityscape design series — a milestone in the history of brutalist design — meshed perfectly with the sleek, “high tech” sensibility of the later ’70s. Evans constructed boxy forms and faced them with irregular mosaic patterns that mixed rectangular plaques of chromed steel, bronze or burlwood veneer. These, like all of Paul Evans’s designs, are both useful and eye-catching. But their appeal has another, more visceral quality: these pieces have clearly been touched by an artist’s hand.
Find a collection of authentic Paul Evans furniture today on 1stDibs.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Toledo, OH
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 7 days of delivery.
- Mid-Century Modern Marble Top Round Coffee Table Carved BaseLocated in Toledo, OHMid-Century Modern round marble top table with carved wood base. Very nice to excellent condition. Dimensions: 40" in diameter x 19" H.Category
Mid-20th Century Unknown Modern Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
- Hekman Coffee Table Hexagon Burl Wood Base With Glass TopBy Hekman FurnitureLocated in Toledo, OHHekman coffee table in hexagon shaped burl wood with circular glass top. In excellent condition with no scratches. Dimensions: 16" High. Glass is not included.Category
20th Century American Modern Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
- Modern Brutalist Coffee Table Masciarelli for Regent Glass Top Copper Tone BaseBy MasciarelliLocated in Toledo, OHModern Brutalist coffee table by Masciarelli for Regent. Copper tone metal base is 29" wide in an X-shape. The cylindrical metal pipes are pierced, cut, and melted holes with ragged ...Category
Late 20th Century Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
- Adrian Pearsall Round Coffee Table Sculpted BaseBy Adrian PearsallLocated in Toledo, OHAdrian Pearsall round sculptural base coffee table. Glass. Very nice condition. Dimensions: 42" Diameter x 19" H.Category
20th Century European Modern Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
- Modern Round Glass Top Table with Architectural Aluminum Base by Paul MayenBy Paul MayenLocated in Toledo, OHModern 48" round glass table with aluminum architectural base by Paul Mayen. Nine square tubular pillars hold 3/4" thick top. Great condition with minor wear. Dimensions 48" Dia x 28...Category
20th Century Unknown Modern Center TablesMaterials
- Marble Top Coffee Table Iron Base by Barbara Barry for Baker FurnitureBy Baker Furniture CompanyLocated in Toledo, OHMarble top coffee table with iron base by Barbara Barry for Baker Furniture. Very nice condition. Marble is removeable. Dimensions: 32" depth x 48" W x 19" H.Category
20th Century North American Modern Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
- Paul Evans Sculpted Bronze "Stalagmite" Coffee TableBy Paul EvansLocated in Montreal, QCA bronze and glass "Stalagmite" coffee table Model PE-128 the thick round glass top under bronze (actually bronze over iron) base, the Brutalist design with thick imposto like applic...Category
Vintage 1970s American Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
- Paul Evans Signed Stalagmite Bronze Mid-Century Modern Coffee TableBy Paul Evans, DirectionalLocated in San Diego, CAA stunning brutalist Paul Evans PE-128 coffee table which was part of the "Sculptured Metal Collection" for Directional. This dramatic cocktail table is comprised of a dark patinated...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
- Paul Evans Imposto on Iron "Stalagmite" Coffee TableBy Paul EvansLocated in Montreal, QCA bronze and glass "Stalagmite" coffee table Model P128 the thick round glass top under bronze (actually bronze over iron) base, the brutalist design with thick imposto like applicat...Category
Vintage 1970s American Brutalist Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
- Paul R. Evans 'Patchwork' Coffee/Cocktail Table with Glass TopBy Paul EvansLocated in Hudson, NYPaul R. Evans (American, 1931-1987). 'Patchwork Table'. United States, 1964- 70's. Designed for Directional. Of brutalist design in welded and patinated steel, 1/2" thick smoked glass top, square with rounded corners. No apparent signature Overall - 15 1/2" high x 36" square. Base - 15" high x 20 1/4" wide x 20 1/4" deep. Paul Evans was born in bucks county, pa. He studied at several institutions, including the philadelphia textile institute, rochester institute of technology, the school for american craftsmen in rochester, and the cranbrook academy of art in michigan. While living in sturbridge village, massachusetts, where he worked in a working history museum as a living craftsman demonstrating various aspects of silversmithing, he also sold designs to the raymor company and various european design firms. Settling in new hope, pa, he establishes a studio with phillip lloyd powell, near noted woodworker George Nakashima. During the 1950's, Evans began making copper chests and followed with sculpted steel-front cabinets. Evans had a two-man show in 1961 at america house, an exhibition held at the museum of contemporary crafts in new york (now the museum of arts & design). In 1964, Evans became a featured designer...Category
20th Century Mid-Century Modern Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
Brass, Bronze, Copper$5,000 Sale Price20% Off
- Paul Evans Glass Coffee TableBy Paul EvansLocated in Brooklyn, NYThis unique coffee table by Paul Evans features contrasting textures and colors in its geometric base along with a large glass top. Rare and collectible, this vintage table by renown...Category
Vintage 1970s American Modern Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
Metal$6,800 Sale Price20% Off
- Paul Evans Sculpted Bronze Stalagmite Coffee Table, Signed and Dated 1979By Directional, Paul EvansLocated in Los Angeles, CAA stunning brutalist Paul Evans PE-128 coffee table which was part of the "Sculptured Metal Collection" for Directional. This dramatic cocktail table ...Category
Vintage 1970s American Brutalist Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery