Milo Baughman for Thayer Coggin Burl Parquet Top Console
About the Item
- Creator:Thayer Coggin (Manufacturer),Milo Baughman (Designer)
- Dimensions:Height: 26.5 in (67.31 cm)Width: 66 in (167.64 cm)Depth: 22 in (55.88 cm)
- Style:Mid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:1970s
- Condition:Refinished. Wear consistent with age and use. Very nice.
- Seller Location:Dallas, TX
- Reference Number:Seller: #8004031stDibs: LU1078425348002
Milo Baughman was one of the most agile and adept modern American furniture designers of the late 20th century. A prolific lecturer and writer on the benefits of good design — he taught for years at Brigham Young University — Baughman (whose often-scrambled surname is pronounced BAWF-man) focused almost exclusively on residential furnishings, such as chairs, sofas and benches. He had a particular talent for lounge chairs, perhaps the most sociable piece of furniture.
Like his fellow adoptive Californians Charles and Ray Eames, Baughman’s furniture has a relaxed and breezy air. He was famously opposed to ostentatious and idiosyncratic designs that were made to excite attention. While many of his chair designs are enlivened by such effects as tufted upholstery, Baughman tended to let his materials carry the aesthetic weight, most often relying on seating and table frames made of sturdy and sleek flat-bar chromed metal, and chairs, tables and cabinets finished with highly-figured wood veneers.
Like his colleagues Karl Springer and the multifarious Pierre Cardin, Baughman’s designs are emblematic of the 1970s: sleek, sure and scintillating.
As you will see from the furniture presented on 1stDibs, Milo Baughman’s designs for the likes of Drexel Furniture, Glenn of California and — for five decades — Thayer Coggin are ably employed as either the heart of a décor or its focal point.
Few friendships last a lifetime, but Milo Baughman (1923–2003) and Thayer Coggin (1922–2003) were united by their desire to craft American furniture with timeless heirloom appeal. Today vintage Thayer Coggin sofas, coffee tables, alluring chrome-framed chairs and other furnishings are recognized as masterpieces of good design and remain highly sought after by collectors near and far.
Having both served in the military during World War II and coming from humble backgrounds — Coggin from Denton, North Carolina, and Baughman from Goodland, Kansas (but raised in California) — they shared a passion for simple, modern design in home furnishings. In 1953, after showing his prescient designs to a number of companies (who turned him down) in the furniture center of High Point, North Carolina, Baughman decided to pay a last-minute visit to Coggin, who had just founded his eponymous brand. After a nearly hour-long meeting in which Coggin shot out of his seat exclaiming he had never seen anything like Baughman's work, the two men shook hands. They would be friends and collaborators for the next 50 years.
Coggin let Baughman pursue his singular vision, while the Thayer Coggin company benefited from its close relationship with the ever more prominent Baughman, the manufacturer’s lead designer and an architect of California modernism who also collaborated with Drexel Furniture, Glenn of California and others during his career.
In 1968, New York Times critic Rita Reif hailed Baughman’s work for its elegance and sophistication. “With this furniture,” she wrote of his new collection, Environment 70 produced by Thayer Coggin, “who needs a decorator?” Baughman’s name became synonymous with sleekly modern, comfortable furniture the whole family could enjoy — stylish seating upholstered with impossibly cozy bouclé fabric and dashing case pieces that reflected the venturesome sensibility associated with mid-century modernism as well as the functionality of the Bauhaus.
Although its founder died in 2003, Thayer Coggin remains an esteemed family-run brand in High Point. Each item of furniture is bench-made by a single craftsperson to ensure “continuity among related pieces,” the company says, and comes in a vast array of upholstery fabrics, wood and metal finishes. Like the friendship that defined it, Thayer Coggin furniture is built to last.
Find a unique collection of new and vintage Thayer Coggin furniture today on 1stDibs.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Dallas, TX
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
- Milo Baughman for Thayer Coggin White Lacquer SideboardBy Milo BaughmanLocated in Dallas, TXOne of his iconic designs, a restored in white lacquer sideboard by Milo Baughman. Sideboard features a floating case piece that includes three...Category
Mid-20th Century North American Mid-Century Modern SideboardsMaterials
- Milo Baughman for Thayer Coggin Black Lacquer SideboardBy Milo BaughmanLocated in Dallas, TXOne of his iconic designs, a restored in black lacquer sideboard by Milo Baughman. Sideboard features a floating case piece that includes three doors with shelving and silverware storage...Category
Mid-20th Century North American Mid-Century Modern SideboardsMaterials
- Milo Baughman for Thayer Coggin Large Swivel Tub ChairBy Milo BaughmanLocated in Dallas, TXThe chair people love to lounge in by Milo Baughman. His iconic large tub chair with swivel base. This one is in a raspberry microfiber that is in very good ...Category
20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Milo Baughman for Thayer Coggin Parsons Style Dining Table in White LacquerBy Milo BaughmanLocated in Dallas, TXA great looking table by Milo Baughman. Simple and elegant, goes with any decor and chairs. The ultimate parsons style dining table. Includes two 19.25" leaves. Table without leaves ...Category
20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Dining Room TablesMaterials
- Milo Baughman Olivewood Burl Parsons Dining TableBy Thayer Coggin, Milo BaughmanLocated in Dallas, TXA beautiful olivewood burl dining table by Milo Baughman. Clean lines, great figurative burl book matched expertly. Table is a 39" square without leaves. There are two 19.5" leaves e...Category
Mid-20th Century North American Mid-Century Modern Dining Room TablesMaterials
- Scala Luxury Console with Goatskin TopBy Scala LuxuryLocated in Dallas, TXScala Luxury is known for superior quality and design. This is the Sintonia Console with a brushed stainless steel base and goatskin top. Would normally retail at $15,000 - $20,000.Category
21st Century and Contemporary American Modern Console TablesMaterials
- Milo Baughman For Thayer Coggin Console Sofa TableBy Milo BaughmanLocated in Pasadena, TXA mid century modern console or sofa table designed by Milo Baughman and made by Thayer Coggin. A chrome base with oval gray laminate top.Category
Vintage 1970s American Console TablesMaterials
- Milo Baughman Coffee Table for Thayer CogginBy Milo BaughmanLocated in Brooklyn, NYVintage modern coffee table featuring sculpted sled legs and beautiful rosewood grain throughout, designed by Milo Baughman for Thayer Coggin. Stunning mid-century cocktail table mak...Category
Vintage 1960s Mid-Century Modern Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
- Milo Baughman Dining Table for Thayer CogginBy Milo Baughman, Thayer CogginLocated in Chicago, ILMilo Baughman for Thayer Coggin. Dining table with diamond patterned book-matched veneer and chrome-plated pedestal base. Table has one 22" leaf. Fully extended 88”Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Dining Room TablesMaterials
- Milo Baughman for Thayer Coggin Rosewood TableBy Milo Baughman, Thayer CogginLocated in Philadelphia, PABeautiful rosewood table designed by Milo Baughman for Thayer Coggin Furniture. Can easily be used as a coffee or end Table. Rosewood is in great original condition and chrome base i...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
- Milo Baughman Dining Table for Thayer CogginBy Milo Baughman, Thayer CogginLocated in Chicago, ILMilo Baughman for Thayer Coggin, dining table with exotic ash diamond patterned book-matched veneer and chrome-plated pedestal base. Table has one 22? leaf.Fully extended 88" Ima...Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern Dining Room TablesMaterials
- Milo Baughman Patchwork Burl Wood and Chrome Console TableBy Thayer Coggin, Milo BaughmanLocated in Chicago, ILMid-Century Milo Baughman for Thayer Coggin console table in patchwork burl wood top and steel covered wood base.Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Console TablesMaterials
Recently ViewedView More
Rooms We Love: 11 Splendid Living Rooms
Common wisdom used to declare the kitchen the hub of the house. These days, the living room seems to have assumed the role of domestic focal point. Unlike the Victorian parlor, stiffly furnished and reserved for guests, today’s living room is a central place for reading, conversation and, well, living, with furnishings that lend themselves to both casual lounging and elegant entertaining.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery