- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche Tiger Pattern Pant
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: New York, NY
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
About the Designer
Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche
Visionary French fashion designer Yves Saint Laurent was the first to launch a ready-to-wear label, YSL Rive Gauche Prêt-à-Porter. The inaugural Rive Gauche boutique — a modern shop in Paris’s bustling, bohemian Left Bank district — offered stylish garments and accessories that were intended to be affordable for a younger generation of fashion enthusiasts. The store featured Mies van der Rohe chairs and played host to actor Catherine Deneuve during its grand opening.
Saint Laurent pioneered “cross-design” in fashion, taking inspiration from street trends to modernize haute couture. He was the first couturier to open boutiques for both men and women. Using traditional menswear fabrics and designs for women, he also literally cross-dressed, giving men and women alike chic pant suits, elegant tuxedo jackets and urban safari gear. By blurring gender-specific design, he empowered individual style while creating a scissor-sharp fashion aesthetic of sensual ease and beauty. Many of his designs are today considered timeless classics. Saint Laurent also consistently used Black models, like Mounia, Iman and Naomi Campbell, and he drew endless inspiration from different ethnicities and cultures, in no small part because of his Algerian roots.
Born to French parents in Oran, Algeria, in 1936, Saint Laurent went to Paris at age 17 to study fashion at the Chambre Syndicale de la Haute Couture. Just two years later, in 1955, his remarkable sketches were shown to Christian Dior, then the world’s reigning couturier, who hired him immediately.
Surprisingly soon thereafter, Dior publicly chose Saint Laurent as his successor, which sadly proved prescient when the fashion legend died unexpectedly, in 1957. A mere slip of a youth, the 21-year-old Saint Laurent was nevertheless up to the challenge. He shook the traditional couture clientele to its core with youthful silhouettes and styles like the A-line trapeze dress that hung with seeming effortlessness from the shoulders, the antithesis of the pinched waists and molded skirts that had been all the rage after the deprivations of World War II.
After a mandated spell in the torturous French military, Saint Laurent suffered a nervous breakdown and was dismissed by Dior in 1962. Out of the ashes rose the Age of Yves. With Pierre Bergé, his then-lover who became his lifelong business partner and friend, the designer founded Yves Saint Laurent YSL to encompass prêt-à-porter, or ready-to-wear. In 1966, they opened the first YSL Rive Gauche women’s boutique in Paris — Rive Gauche is French for “left bank” — followed soon thereafter by YSL Rive Gauche for men. Ready-to-wear materialized during a period of dynamic transformation and experimentation and came to dominate the Paris fashion scene. Saint Laurent had given birth to a global brand.
His revolutionary Mondrian mini dress from 1965 is a core element of his fashion biography. It is a prime example of how Saint Laurent, an avid art lover and collector, looked to painters, from Goya to Picasso, Ingres to Matisse, for inspiration.
With its pure lines and hues, Mondrian’s ground-breaking 1935 color-block painting Composition C transmutes beautifully into a dress that is highly valued by collectors of contemporary fashion and widely copied commercially to this day. The design is the epitome of Saint Laurent’s aesthetic, requiring a meticulous hand piecing of each color block so that, despite the body’s curves, the visual plane is as flat as a canvas when the garment is worn. Mondrian’s purity met its match in Saint Laurent.
“I am no longer concerned with sensation and innovation, but with the perfection of my style,” Saint Laurent said four years before retiring, in 2002. After a long period of ill health, he died at his home in Paris on June 1, 2008.
- Yves Saint Laurent Zouave PantBy Yves Saint Laurent Rive GaucheLocated in New York, NYYves Saint Laurent, Rive Gauche, black wool, Zouave, style pant having a side zipper closure, belt loops and pleated detail at the hip. Pant narrows at the ankle, in a satin fabric h...Category
1980s French Pants
- Yves Saint Laurent Gaberdine Tuxedo Trouser with Sequined StripeBy Yves Saint Laurent Rive GaucheLocated in New York, NYYves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche, black, wool gaberdine, men's style tuxedo trouser having a sequined stripe down the side of each leg.Category
1980s French Pleated Pants
- Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche Wool Crepe JumpsuitBy Yves Saint Laurent Rive GaucheLocated in New York, NYYves Saint Laurent, Rive Gauche, fine wool, black, long sleeve, jumpsuit, having a V necline and a front zipper closure.Category
1980s French Jumpsuits
- Jean Paul Gaultier Velvet and Sequined Wide Leg PantBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in New York, NYJean Paul Gaultier, chocolate brown, velvet, wide leg pant having clusters of abstract patterns of sequins, randomly placed on the pant. Details include, a fly front, belt loops and...Category
Early 2000s Italian Wide Leg Pants
- Valentino Pant With Sequin and Lace DetailBy ValentinoLocated in New York, NYValentino, flat front, wool jersey, wide pant, with lace, black sequin and beaded detail towards the end lf the leg.Category
1990s Italian Flat Front Pants
- Geoffrey Beene Jumpsuit with White DetailBy Geoffrey BeeneLocated in New York, NYJeffrey Beene, silk, heavy crepe, jumpsuit, having no waist, and ivory silk detail at the collar and shoulders.Category
1990s American Jumpsuits
- Wild silk navy blue trousers Yves Saint Laurent Rive GaucheBy Yves Saint Laurent Rive GaucheLocated in Saint-Ouen-Sur-Seine, FRWild silk navy blue trousersCategory
1980s French Pants
- YVES SAINT LAURENT Rive Gauche A/W 2002 TOM FORD Black Bow Knicker Pant CapriBy Tom Ford, Yves Saint Laurent Rive GaucheLocated in Thiensville, WIYVES SAINT LAURENT Rive Gauche (by Tom Ford) A/W 2002 Black Bow Tie Knicker Pant Capri Brand / Manufacturer: Yves Saint Laurent Collection: A/W 2002 Designer: Tom Ford Style: Knick...Category
Early 2000s Italian Flat Front Pants$536 Sale Price40% Off
- Yves Saint Laurent by Tom Ford FW-2001 Tailored Silhouette Cotton PantsBy Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche, Tom Ford for Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Brussels, BEElongating the female form has been one of Tom Ford’s key design trademarks since his arrival at the Florentine House of Gucci. He applied the same slimming and lengthening principle...Category
Early 2000s French Pants
- Yves Saint Laurent by Tom Ford FW-2001 Higher Waist Cotton PantsBy Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche, Tom Ford for Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Brussels, BEMenswear shapes were a constant source of inspiration for French designer Yves Saint Laurent. He put women in tailored pants and tuxedo suits, which created outrage in the late 1960s...Category
Early 2000s Italian Pants
- Vintage Yves Saint Laurent YSL Rive Gauche Black Long Sleeve Tuxedo JumpsuitBy Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche, Yves Saint LaurentLocated in San Diego, CAEffortlessly chic, timeless and classic vintage YVES SAINT LAURENT YSL Rive Gauche black long sleeve le smoking tuxedo jumpsuit! Signature YSL exaggerated lapels. Single button closu...Category
Late 20th Century French Jumpsuits
- Vintage Yves Saint Laurent YSL 1980s Grey Suede Leather High Waisted Harem PantsBy Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche, Yves Saint LaurentLocated in San Diego, CAAmazing collectible RARE vintage early 80s YVES SAINT LAURENT Rive Gauche elephant gray suede leather high waisted harem pants / trousers ! Features a high waist with pockets at each...Category
1980s French Pants