- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Tapio Wirkkala Finnish Silver Leaf Shape Handled Bon Bon Dish
About the Item
- Creator:Tapio Wirkkala (Artist)
- Dimensions:Height: 2.47 in (6.25 cm)Width: 4.53 in (11.5 cm)Depth: 3.35 in (8.5 cm)
- Style:Mid-Century Modern (In the Style Of)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:1965
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use.
- Seller Location:Bishop's Stortford, GB
- Reference Number:Seller: MT213051stDibs: LU1328225612562
Along with architect Alvar Aalto, the designer Tapio Wirkkala was Finland’s leading contributor to the Scandinavian interpretation of modernism in the mid-20th century. Prolific and innovative, Wirkkala excelled in a wide range of fields, including glass, furniture, porcelain, jewelry and tableware. The hallmark of his talent was an ability to impart a craft aesthetic based on natural forms — leaves, ice, bubbles, birds — to industrially produced designs.
A native of Helsinki, Wirkkala studied at the national School of Applied Arts and took up a career in graphic design. After serving in the Finnish army during World War II, he joined the glassmaking firm Iittala, an association that would continue to the end of his life. Wirkkala learned every aspect of glassmaking in keeping with his belief that an artist-designer should be involved in all stages of production. His best-known works for Iittala are vases and drinking vessels that resemble either carved ice or icicles. In 1956, Wirkkala began a long relationship with the porcelain maker Rosenthal, for whom he designed elegant table pieces, such as the Finlandia coffee service and the biomorphic Pollo vases.
House Beautiful magazine declared Wirkkala’s Leaf platter the “most beautiful object” of 1951. (The acclaim led to his brief employment stint with industrial designer Raymond Loewy in New York.) That platter was one of the first designs Wirkkala made using laminated sheets of plywood sanded to a smooth surface that resembles an abstract leaf. It would go on to become a motif in many Wirkkala furniture pieces — most notably in inlaid coffee tables for Asko — and in a sense these are the works most emblematic of his personal aesthetic.
Wirkkala was a traditionalist in many ways, but he had a modernist’s practical approach, incorporating his leaf-like spirals into simple, functional objects. That is the core attraction of Wirkkala’s designs: They stand out with a striking, sculptural energy yet blend in as part of a warm and comfortable decor.
Find vintage Tapio Wirkkala furniture on 1stDibs.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Bishop's Stortford, United Kingdom
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 14 days of delivery.
- George I Silver Handled Kitchen Pepper Shaker London 1721Located in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireRare George I handled silver Kitchen Pepper shaker pot made in London in 1721. The pot of tankard shape has a flat S shape handle attached to the sid...Category
Antique Early 18th Century English George I Sterling SilverMaterials
- George I Armorial Silver Handled Kitchen Pepper Shaker, London, 1725Located in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireRare George I armorial handled silver Kitchen Pepper shaker pot made by Meshach Godwin, London in 1725. The pot of tankard shape has a flat S shape h...Category
Antique 1720s English George I Sterling SilverMaterials
- Anton Michelsen Danish Enameled Commemorative Silver Floral SpoonBy Anton MichelsenLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireA very fine vintage mid-century Danish gilt silver spoon with inset enamel floral designs by Anton Michelsen and dated JUL 1956. The heavily made spoon has a gilded bowl with silver ...Category
Vintage 1950s Danish Mid-Century Modern Sterling SilverMaterials
- Edwardian Fine English Silver-Plated Squirrel Nut DishLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireAn unusual quality Edwardian English silver plate twin handle nut dish the handles mounted with squirrels by Charles S Green, Birmingham and made around 1905. The dish is of oval shaped standing raised on a narrow oval pedestal base...Category
Antique Early 1900s English Edwardian Sheffield and SilverplateMaterials
Silver Plate$493Free Shipping
- Georgian Silver Plated Rare Twin Handled Gravy SeparatorLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireRare Georgian silver-plated twin handled and twin spouted gravy separator dating from around 1790. The separator has two spouts one fed from the top rim and marked with the letter F ...Category
Antique 18th Century English George III Sheffield and SilverplateMaterials
Silver Plate$599Free Shipping
- Burmese Silver Basket Shape Lidded ContainersLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireTwo antique Burmese silver basket shaped boxes, possibly Betel containers, one with a pierced scroll leaf design and the other with a molded basket wea...Category
Antique 19th Century Burmese MetalworkMaterials
Silver$1,373 / setFree Shipping
- Rare Tapio Wirkkala Pair of Dining ChairsBy Asko, Tapio WirkkalaLocated in Waalwijk, NLTapio Wirkkala, pair of dining chairs, metal, plywood, Finland, 1960s This exceptional pair of chairs by Finnish designer Tapio Wirkkala show...Category
Vintage 1960s Finnish Mid-Century Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
Metal$4,400 / set
- Midcentury Frosted Glassware Cups Tapio Wirkkala Ultima Thule Mugs IITTALABy Iittala, Tapio WirkkalaLocated in National City, CAFor your pleasure: Vintage Scandinavian frosted glass cups, mugs with sassy handle done in frosted ice glass, style design of Tapio Wirkkala for ...Category
Vintage 1980s Finnish Scandinavian Modern BarwareMaterials
- Modern Ultima Thule Tapio Wirkkala for Iittala, Finland 7 Glass BowlsBy Tapio Wirkkala, IittalaLocated in Miami, FLTapio Wirkkala's 1960s Scandinavian Modern creation of Ultima Thule for Iittala, Finland. This design was meant to interpret the melting ice of a snow covered Finnish island. This de...Category
Vintage 1970s Finnish Mid-Century Modern Serving BowlsMaterials
- 1950s Finland Modern Green Glass Pitcher by Erkki Vesanto IittalaBy IittalaLocated in National City, CA1950s Finland Scandinavian modern green glass pitcher by Erkki Vesanto Iittala Measures: 11.25 tall x 5.75 d x 3.75 diameter at widest point ...Category
Vintage 1950s Mid-Century Modern PitchersMaterials
- Timo Sarpaneva, Art-Object "Hiiden Helmi", Model 3149, Iittala, Finland 1956By Timo Sarpaneva, IittalaLocated in EL Waalre, NLTimo Sarpaneva, Art-Object "Hiiden Helmi", Model 3149, Iittala, Finland 1956 Artist Timo Sarpaneva (Helsinki, Finland 1926-Helsinki, Finland 2006) was an influential Finnish designe...Category
Vintage 1950s Finnish Mid-Century Modern GlassMaterials
Glass, Art Glass, Blown Glass$1,470Free Shipping
- Vintage Towle Sterling Silver 925 Candy Dish Bon Nut Bowl Compote Flute 122gBy Towle SilversmithsLocated in Dayton, OHVintage Towle sterling silver round candy dish with the Flute pattern edge. “Newburyport, Massachusetts - Active 1882-present. Large m...Category
Mid-20th Century Sterling SilverMaterials
- Arabia Finland Valencia Dinner PlateBy Arabia of FinlandLocated in Copenhagen, DK"Arabia Finland Valencia dinner plate. Measures 26 cm / 10 15/64 in.".Category
20th Century Dinner PlatesMaterials
Porcelain$142 / item
- Pair of Tiffany & Co. Scalloped Heart Shaped Sterling Silver Candy Dish BowlsBy Tiffany & Co.Located in Miami Beach, FLPair of Tiffany & Co Makers sterling silver heart shaped candy dishes. They are both stamped Tiffany & Co Makers sterling and have an item number as well. Perfect for Valentine's Day...Category
Mid-20th Century Sterling SilverMaterials
- 20th Century Victorian Style Handcrafted Sterling Silver Epergne, Italy, 1998By Argenteria AugeLocated in Cagliari, ITA remarkable Victorian style handcrafted chiseled sterling silver epergne by Italian silversmith Argenteria Auge from Milan. The entire epergne is beautifully embellished with flower...Category
1990s Italian Victorian Sterling SilverMaterials
Sterling Silver$8,240 Sale Price25% Off
- Raija Tuumi Large Ceramic Platter for Arabia FinlandBy Arabia of Finland, Raija TuumiLocated in Chesterfield, NJBeautiful and large stoneware charger designed, thrown, and glazed by acclaimed Finnish ceramic artist, Raija Tuumi for Arabia Finland. This piece has a rustic mottled dark brown gla...Category
Vintage 1960s Finnish Scandinavian Modern CeramicsMaterials
- M M Henderson Ltd Antique Sterling Silver Bon Bon DishLocated in Jesmond, Newcastle Upon TyneA fine and impressive antique Edward VIII English sterling silver bon bon dish; an addition to our dining silverware collection This fine antique Edward VIII sterling silver bon bon dish has an oval shaped form with a flared rim. Each convex lobed portion of the octofoil shaped body is embellished with a panel of pierced trellis diaper pattern accented with a trefid motif to the centre of each lozenge. The flared shaped rim of the dish is encompassed with an applied scrolling leaf decorated border. The convex well of this fine example of antique silverware is plain and unembellished. Condition This antique silver bon bon dish...Category
Vintage 1930s English Other Sterling SilverMaterials
Silver, Sterling Silver
- Tapio Wirkkala Geometric Silver VaseBy Tapio WirkkalaLocated in Toronto, OntarioNice geometric solid silver vase by Tapio Wirkkala for Kultakeskus. A rare example with a bark-like side and a smooth side. These are hand made to order.Category
Vintage 1960s Finnish Scandinavian Modern VasesMaterials
- Tapio Wirkkala Silver Punch SetBy Tapio WirkkalaLocated in Toronto, OntarioA beautiful solid silver Pitcher and cups by Tapio Wirkkala for Kultakeskus, Oy. Created by a single craftsperson from start to finish.Category
Vintage 1970s Finnish Scandinavian Modern PitchersMaterials
- Renaissance by Tiffany & Co. Sterling Bon Bon Spoon Heart Shape FiguralBy Tiffany & Co.Located in Big Bend, WISterling silver bon bon spoon heart shaped bowl 4 1/4" in the pattern Renaissance by Tiffany & Co. It is monogrammed (monos vary) and is in excellent condition. Satisfaction guara...Category
20th Century Serving PiecesMaterials
- Tapio Wirkkala Tray Produced by Soinne et Kni in FinlandBy Tapio WirkkalaLocated in Limhamn, Skåne länVery rare tray designed by Tapio Wirkkala. Produced by Soinne et Kni in Finland.Category
Vintage 1950s Finnish Scandinavian Modern Serving PiecesMaterials
- Tapio Wirkkala, Set of Silver Pitchers and Cups, 18 Pieces, Finland 1970sBy Tapio Wirkkala, Kultakeskus OyLocated in Houston, TXTapio Wirkkala. Set of silver pitchers and cups, 18 pieces. Kultakeskus Oy, Hämeenlinna, Finland. Marked with makers mark, Finnish assay mark, 925H, Hämeenlinna town mark, ye...Category
Vintage 1970s Finnish Scandinavian Modern Sterling SilverMaterials
Recently ViewedView More
Tapio Wirkkala Bucked the Trends of Mid-Century Nordic Design
The Finnish talent created nature-inspired pieces, from furniture to jewelry, with phenomenal staying power.
How Do You Authenticate and Care for an Yves Saint Laurent Handbag?
When it comes to the legendary French design house, there is no substitute for true craftsmanship. Xupes shows us how to spot it.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery