Set of 6 Executive Armchairs Designed By Eero Saarinen for Knoll
About the Item
- Creator:Knoll (Manufacturer)
- Attributed to:Eero Saarinen (Designer)
- Dimensions:Height: 30.32 in (77 cm)Width: 25.6 in (65 cm)Depth: 23.63 in (60 cm)Seat Height: 17.72 in (45 cm)
- Sold As:Set of 6
- Style:Mid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:1970s
- Condition:Reupholstered. Wear consistent with age and use.
- Seller Location:Madrid, ES
- Reference Number:Seller: LA001003021stDibs: LU971830703522
As a company that produced many of the most famous and iconic furniture designs of the 20th century, Knoll was a chief influence in the rise of modern design in the United States. Led by Florence Knoll, the firm would draw stellar talents such as Ludwig Mies van der Rohe and Eero Saarinen into its compass. Their work would help change the face of the American home and office.
The company was formed in 1938 by the German immigrant Hans Knoll. He first worked with his fellow ex-pat, the Danish designer Jens Risom, who created furniture with flowing lines made of wood. While Risom served in World War II, in 1943 Knoll met his future wife, Florence Schust. She had studied and worked with eminent emigré leaders of the Bauhaus, including Mies, Walter Gropius and Marcel Breuer. She won Knoll over with Bauhaus notions of industrial arts, and an aesthetic that featured flat and tubular metal frames and angular forms. When Hans died in a car crash in 1955, Florence Knoll was appointed head of the company. It was as much through her holistic approach to design — a core division of the firm was dedicated to planning office systems — as Knoll's mid-century modern furnishings themselves that she brought about the sleek and efficient transformation of the American workplace.
Today, classic Knoll furnishings remain staples of modern design collections and decor. A history of modern design is written in pieces such as the elegant Barcelona chair — created by Mies and Lilly Reich — Saarinen’s pedestal Tulip chair, Breuer’s tubular steel Wassily lounge chair and the grid-patterned Diamond chair by Harry Bertoia.
As you can see from the collection of these designs and other vintage Knoll dining chairs, sofas and tables on 1stDibs, this manufacturer's offerings have become timeless emblems of the progressive spirit and sleek sophistication of the best of modernism.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Madrid, Spain
- Return PolicyA return for this item may be initiated within 14 days of delivery.
- Charles Rennie Mackintosh Black Ashwood Willow Italian Pair of ArmchairsBy Charles Rennie MackintoshLocated in Madrid, ESPair of armchairs model "Willow" designed by Charles Rennie Mackintosh for the "Willow Tea Room" in 1903 in Glasgow. Made of black lacquered ashwood structure and upholstered in leather. In its original configuration, the high, semicircular backrest of this solid wood throne served as a divider between the entrance and the tea room behind it. Complex series of lines and shapes reflect the style of Mackintosh. Charles Rennie Mackintosh (7 June 1868 – 10 December 1928) was a Scottish architect, designer, water colourist and artist. His artistic approach had much in common with European Symbolism. His work, alongside that of his wife Margaret Macdonald...Category
Vintage 1970s Italian Mid-Century Modern ChairsMaterials
Leather, Ash, Lacquer
- Ettore Sottsass Model "Lodge" Italian 1986 Set of Six ChairsBy Ettore SottsassLocated in Madrid, ESSet of 6 chairs mod. "Lodge" designed by Ettore Sottass and produced by Bieffeplast. Structure made of black lacquered metal and reupholstered in boucle fabric. Italy, 1986. Our mai...Category
Vintage 1980s Italian Mid-Century Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- Mid-Century Modern Set of Six Leather Dyrlund Danish Chairs, 1960sBy DyrlundLocated in Madrid, ESAn elegant Mid-Century Modern set of six Danish dining chairs edited by Dyrlund. Made of solid wood structure. Seat and back upholstered in its original black vinyl leather, Denmark,...Category
Vintage 1960s Danish Mid-Century Modern ChairsMaterials
- Contemporary Pair of Armchairs Mod Ekstrem Designed by Terje EkstromBy Terje EkstromLocated in Madrid, ESMod Ekstrem armchairs designed by Terje Ekstrom. Structure made of steel covered with woolen knit foam, and upholstered with gray wool fabric. Every ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Norwegian Modern ChairsMaterials
- Gio Ponti Set of 8 Ashwood Leggera Italian Chairs, 1960sBy Gio Ponti, CassinaLocated in Madrid, ESSet of eight chairs model "Leggera 646" designed by Gio Ponti (1891-1979) and edited by Cassina. Made of solid ashwood structure with original upholstery. Italy, 1951. Due to the up...Category
Vintage 1950s Italian Mid-Century Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- Midcentury Gio Ponti Set of Twelve Leggera by Cassina Wood Linen Italian ChairsBy Gio Ponti, CassinaLocated in Madrid, ESSet of twelve chairs model "Leggera 646" designed by Gio Ponti. This is the first "Leggera" edition that was edited by Cassina in 1951. Made of solid ashwood structure, the seat and ...Category
Vintage 1950s Italian Mid-Century Modern ChairsMaterials
Canvas, Linen, Wood
- Eero Saarinen Executive ArmchairBy Knoll, Eero SaarinenLocated in Dallas, TXWe have up to ten available in this upholstery which is a Knoll textile with Bergamo piping. Or you can do in a fabric of your choice.Category
Late 20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- Eero Saarinen for Knoll Executive Armchairs in Custom Tan TweedBy Knoll, Eero SaarinenLocated in Culver City, CAOne of Knoll's most popular designs for the past 70 years, Eero Saarinen's executive armchair is about as timeless and chic as it gets. This current set of 10 we have available are u...Category
Early 2000s Mid-Century Modern ChairsMaterials
- Eero Saarinen for Knoll Executive Armchairs in Blue Classic BoucleBy Knoll, Eero SaarinenLocated in Culver City, CAOne of Knoll's most popular designs for the past 70 years, Eero Saarinen's executive armchair is about as timeless and chic as it gets. This current set of 4 we have in classic blue ...Category
Early 2000s Mid-Century Modern ChairsMaterials
- Pair of Eero Saarinen Knoll Executive Armchairs Full Restoration by GreenappleBy Knoll, Eero Saarinen, GreenappleLocated in Lisboa, PTCollectible Vintage Pair of Executive Armchairs by Eero Saarinen for Knoll. Eero Saarinen designed furniture as a means to problem-solve. Each of his works had a distinct vocabular...Category
1990s Portuguese Mid-Century Modern ChairsMaterials
Oak, Walnut, Leather, Fabric, Bouclé, Velvet
- Eero Saarinen for Knoll Executive ArmchairsBy Knoll, Eero SaarinenLocated in Dallas, TXWe have a set of 12 like new Eero Saarinen executive armchairs. These would be wonderful re-upholstered in something for your home or office. Chrome is bright and shiny, foam is very...Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- Mid-Century Modern Eero Saarinen for Knoll Executive Armless Chairs, Set of 4By Knoll, Eero SaarinenLocated in Secaucus, NJStunning authentic Mid-Century Modern set of four Saarinen executive armless chairs by Knoll. One of Knoll most popular designs that achieved comfort through the shape of its shell. ...Category
2010s American Mid-Century Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials