Set of 8 Saarinen Executive chairs by Eero Saarinen – Knoll International
About the Item
- Dimensions:Height: 31.11 in (79 cm)Width: 23.23 in (59 cm)Depth: 22.84 in (58 cm)Seat Height: 18.37 in (46.65 cm)
- Sold As:Set of 8
- Style:Mid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:1950's
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. Minor losses. Two armchairs have a much larger patina with tears and cracks. They are added to the set as a bonus. Good overall condition, patina due to age and use.
- Seller Location:Brussels, BE
- Reference Number:Seller: 1411_201stDibs: LU2994331737822
Through his work as an architect and designer, Eero Saarinen was a prime mover in the introduction of modernism into the American mainstream. Particularly affecting were the organic, curvilinear forms seen in Saarinen’s furniture and his best-known structures: the gull-winged TWA Flight Center at John F. Kennedy airport in New York (opened 1962), Dulles International Airport in Virginia (1962) and the Gateway Arch in St. Louis, Missouri (1965).
Saarinen had a peerless modernist pedigree. His father, Eliel Saarinen, was an eminent Finnish architect who in 1932 became the first head of the Cranbrook Academy of Art in suburban Detroit. The school became synonymous with progressive design and decorative arts in the United States, and while studying there the younger Saarinen met and befriended several luminaries of mid-century modernism, among them Harry Bertoia and Charles and Ray Eames.
At Cranbrook, Saarinen also met Florence Schust Knoll, who, as director of her husband Hans Knoll's eponymous furniture company, would put Saarinen’s best designs into production. These include the Grasshopper chair, designed in 1946 and so named because its angled bentwood frame resembles the insect; the Tulip chair (1957), a flower-shaped fiberglass shell mounted on a cast-aluminum pedestal; and the lushly contoured Womb lounge chair and ottoman (1948). In his furniture as in his architecture, the keynotes of Eero Saarinen’s designs are simplicity, strength and grace.
As a company that produced many of the most famous and iconic furniture designs of the 20th century, Knoll was a chief influence in the rise of modern design in the United States. Led by Florence Knoll, the firm would draw stellar talents such as Ludwig Mies van der Rohe and Eero Saarinen into its compass. Their work would help change the face of the American home and office.
The company was formed in 1938 by the German immigrant Hans Knoll. He first worked with his fellow ex-pat, the Danish designer Jens Risom, who created furniture with flowing lines made of wood. While Risom served in World War II, in 1943 Knoll met his future wife, Florence Schust. She had studied and worked with eminent emigré leaders of the Bauhaus, including Mies, Walter Gropius and Marcel Breuer. She won Knoll over with Bauhaus notions of industrial arts, and an aesthetic that featured flat and tubular metal frames and angular forms. When Hans died in a car crash in 1955, Florence Knoll was appointed head of the company. It was as much through her holistic approach to design — a core division of the firm was dedicated to planning office systems — as Knoll's mid-century modern furnishings themselves that she brought about the sleek and efficient transformation of the American workplace.
Today, classic Knoll furnishings remain staples of modern design collections and decor. A history of modern design is written in pieces such as the elegant Barcelona chair — created by Mies and Lilly Reich — Saarinen’s pedestal Tulip chair, Breuer’s tubular steel Wassily lounge chair and the grid-patterned Diamond chair by Harry Bertoia.
As you can see from the collection of these designs and other vintage Knoll dining chairs, sofas and tables on 1stDibs, this manufacturer's offerings have become timeless emblems of the progressive spirit and sleek sophistication of the best of modernism.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Leuze-en-Hainaut, Belgium
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
- Set of 12 Saddle Stitched Red Leather Chairs by Jacques Adnet, FranceBy Compagnie Des Arts Français, Jacques AdnetLocated in Brussels, BEAbout this set of 12 chairs by Jacques Adnet A rare set of 12 red leather saddle stitch chairs. Composed of 10 chairs and 2 armchairs with steel armrest...Category
Mid-20th Century French Mid-Century Modern ChairsMaterials
- Benoît, Set of 8 Dining Chairs by Robert Guillerme & Jacques Chambron, FranceBy Votre Maison, Guillerme et ChambronLocated in Brussels, BEBeautiful set of 8 oak dining chairs. The seat in straw caning. Entirely assembled in the traditional way, the construction and the way th...Category
Mid-20th Century French Mid-Century Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- Set of four “Metteur en scène” (director’s) armchairs by Jacques AdnetBy Compagnie Des Arts Français, Jacques AdnetLocated in Brussels, BESet of four “director” armchairs, the structure and base in black forged steel by Jacques Adnet. The seat and backrest in thick cotton with saddle stitched black leather accents. The...Category
Mid-20th Century French Mid-Century Modern ArmchairsMaterials
- Set of 8 Cups or Coasters “Cocktails” by Piero Fornasetti, Fornasetti MilanoBy Piero FornasettiLocated in Brussels, BEAbout this set of 8 cups or coasters "Cocktails" by Piero Fornasetti Porcelain with polychrome decoration. Each coaster illustrating a cocktail and its recipe. Each coaster marked...Category
Mid-20th Century Italian Mid-Century Modern PorcelainMaterials
- Artona by Afra & Tobia Scarpa – Walnut veneer laminate desk and chairBy Maxalto, Afra & Tobia ScarpaLocated in Brussels, BEThe desk elements made of walnut laminate with different color hardwood overlay. The top in burr walnut veneer. The front of the side doors and the central drawer covered in cognac l...Category
Mid-20th Century Italian Mid-Century Modern DesksMaterials
- Pair of floor lamps by Maison RamsayBy Maison RamsayLocated in Brussels, BEPair of floor lamps by Maison Ramsay Pair of floor lamps, Maison Ramsay. Pair of tripod floor lamps in forged steel gilded with gold leaf. B...Category
Mid-20th Century French Mid-Century Modern Floor LampsMaterials
- Executive Armchair by Eero Saarinen for Knoll Inc. / Knoll International, 1960sBy Knoll, Eero SaarinenLocated in Lasne, BEArmchair in yellow fabric. Stamped Knoll. Wear due to time and age of the chair (see photo) Seat height: 47cm.Category
Vintage 1960s Belgian Mid-Century Modern ArmchairsMaterials
- Eero Saarinen for Knoll International Set of Six Dining ChairsBy Knoll, Eero SaarinenLocated in Waalwijk, NLEero Saarinen for Knoll International, set of six dining chairs, model '72', chrome-plated steel, fiberglass, fabric, United States, design 1948, produced 1970s Dining chairs mode...Category
Vintage 1940s American Mid-Century Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- Set of Four Eero Saarinen for Knoll International Dining ChairsBy Knoll, Eero SaarinenLocated in Waalwijk, NLEero Saarinen for Knoll International, set of four model 72 chairs, in chrome and leather fabric, United States, 1948. Set of four organic shaped chairs designed by Eero Saarinen...Category
Vintage 1940s American Mid-Century Modern ChairsMaterials
- Eero Saarinen for Knoll International Tulip ChairsBy Knoll, Eero SaarinenLocated in Dronten, NLClassic Tulip dining chairs designed in 1956 by Eero Saarinen for Knoll International. A defining accomplishment of modern design and a timeless addition to your home—a true Classic....Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- Set of 6 Executive Armchairs Designed By Eero Saarinen for KnollBy Knoll, Eero SaarinenLocated in Madrid, ESSet of 6 Executive Armchairs Designed By Eero Saarinen for Knoll. Tubular metal frame and boucle upholstery.Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern ChairsMaterials
- Tulip Dining Chairs by Eero Saarinen for Knoll International, 1970s, Set of 6By Knoll, Eero SaarinenLocated in Lasne, BESet of 6 chairs in fibreglass, aluminium and fabric. The chairs turn on themselves. The original cushions are also in original pink fabric. Seat height 46 cm. Wear due to time and ag...Category
Vintage 1970s Central American Mid-Century Modern ChairsMaterials
Recently ViewedView All
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery