Original 'Birillo' Barstools Set by Joe Colombo for Zanotta, c. 1971, Signed
About the Item
- Dimensions:Height: 41.25 in (104.78 cm)Width: 18.5 in (46.99 cm)Depth: 18.5 in (46.99 cm)Seat Height: 30.25 in (76.84 cm)
- Sold As:Set of 5
- Style:Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:circa 1971
- Condition:Good vintage condition with attractive age and patina. Ready for immediate use. See description for more details.
- Seller Location:Los Angeles, CA
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU1330227356402
He died tragically young, and his career as a designer lasted little more than 10 years. But through the 1960s, Joe Colombo proved himself one of the field’s most provocative and original thinkers, and he produced a remarkably large array of innovative furniture, lighting and product designs. Even today, the creations of Joe Colombo have the power to surprise.
Cesare “Joe” Colombo was born in Milan, the son of an electrical-components manufacturer. He was a creative child — he loved to build huge structures from Meccano pieces — and in college he studied painting and sculpture before switching to architecture. In the early 1950s, Colombo made and exhibited paintings and sculptures as part of an art movement that responded to the new Nuclear Age, and futuristic thinking would inform his entire career. He took up design not long after his father fell ill in 1958, and he and his brother, Gianni, were called upon to run the family company. Colombo expanded the business to include the making of plastics — a primary material in almost all his later designs. One of his first, made in collaboration with his brother, was the Acrilica table lamp (1962), composed of a wave-shaped piece of clear acrylic resin that diffused light cast by a bulb concealed in the lamp’s metal base. A year later, Colombo produced his best-known furniture design, the Elda armchair (1963): a modernist wingback chair with a womb-like plastic frame upholstered in thick leather pads.
Portability and adaptability were keynotes of many Colombo designs, made for a more mobile society in which people would take their living environments with them. One of his most striking pieces is the Tube chair (1969). It comprises four foam-padded plastic cylinders that fit inside one another. The components, which are held together by metal clips, can be configured in a variety of seating shapes. Tube chairs generally sell for about $9,000 in good condition; Elda chairs for about $7,000. A small Colombo design such as the plastic Boby trolley — an office organizer on wheels, designed in 1970 — is priced in the range of $700. As Colombo intended, his designs are best suited to a modern decor. As you see on 1stDibs, if your tastes run to sleek, glossy Space Age looks, the work of Joe Colombo offers you a myriad of choices.
Automaton is the premier source for early-production originals of hard-to-find 20th-century designs and functional art, serving a range of clients, from celebrities and interior designers to aficionados with modest budgets. Its 20,000-square-foot Los Angeles space is packed with rare examples of designs from a large repertoire of such designers as Philip and Kelvin LaVerne, Vladimir Kagan, Eero Saarinen, Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, Jorge Zalszupin, Sergio Rodrigues and Giuseppe Scapinelli.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Long Beach, CA
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 14 days of delivery.
- 1st-Gen 1958 Arne Jacobsen Egg Chair for Fritz Hansen w Original Leather, SignedBy Fritz Hansen, Arne JacobsenLocated in Los Angeles, CAThis iconic original black leather 'Egg' chair by Arne Jacobsen is a very early, circa 1958 production by Fritz Hansen and signed underneath on the leather with the FH stamp and partial Danish Control label (see last photo). Examples with this style of signature are indicative of the first few years of production since the original design in 1958. This early collectors example has also been serviced by an upholstery restoration expert who often restores priceless antiques such as Carlo Bugatti designs...Category
Vintage 1950s Danish Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Aluminum Group Desk Chairs by Charles Eames for Herman Miller, SignedBy Charles and Ray Eames, Charles Eames, Herman MillerLocated in Los Angeles, CAThis classic and stylish 'Aluminum Group' executive desk chair by Charles and Ray Eames for Herman Miller. Signed underneath seat with Herman Miller labels and production date September 2000. This beautiful office chair features black channel stitched seats and integrated seat backs with aluminum five star bases on casters with tilt adjust and height adjust mechanisms, and is height adjustable. Similar to the Soft Pad collection, also by Eames, which was based on the design of the Aluminum Group chairs with the addition of padded cushions. This iconic 'Aluminum Group' chair by Charles Eames for Herman Miller with its graceful silhouette and clean lines make it appropriate for a number of locations, from Classic and contemporary homes to elegant executive offices, home office or hip startups. Consider using in a Mid-Century Modern or Postmodern home...Category
Early 2000s American Mid-Century Modern Office Chairs and Desk ChairsMaterials
- Egg Chair by Arne Jacobson for Fritz Hansen in Blue Leather, SignedBy Arne Jacobsen, Fritz HansenLocated in Los Angeles, CAA fantastic signed example egg chair by Arne Jacobson for Fritz Hansen in a custom commissioned electrifying blue high-grade leather with in...Category
2010s American Mid-Century Modern Swivel ChairsMaterials
- Preben Fabricius and Jorgen Kashtolm Swivel Chairs for Walter Knoll 1970s SignedBy Jørgen Kastholm & Preben Fabricius, Walter KnollLocated in Los Angeles, CAThis incredible set of four swivel lounge chairs by Preben Fabricius and Jorgen Kastholm for Walter Knoll (Germany) featuring soft luxurious charcoal black suede leather seats and contrasting black leather arms, back and trim with matte chromed steel. Signed on some examples with foil label. *Priced as a set of four, contact us if you wish to purchase a pair. These rare collectors chairs are height adjustable via a lever underneath which can telescope the height by 3". As swivel chairs, they are ideal for many uses such as a desk chair, guest chairs, meeting room chairs, dining table or game table chairs, or even in a living room or den. Extremely high quality craftsmanship that you don't get in todays products. And timeless classic design that famed architects Fabricius and Kastholm were known and celebrated for. These rotating height adjusting suede, steel and leather armchairs by Preben Fabricius and Jorgen Kashtolm for Walter Knoll would work great in a Mid-Century Modern, Scandanavian Modern or Danish Modern home or penthouse apartment but could also look fantastic in a Contemporary or Post-Modern room. Also consider mixing it up in a Traditional, Transitional, Classical or Art Deco room with a splash of juxtaposition. Would also be an apt choice in a commercial project such as a hotel lobby lounge or members club, creative design studio or high-rise executive office. Consider using as side chairs, dining, cafe or breakfast table chairs...Category
Vintage 1970s German Modern Swivel ChairsMaterials
- Mario Bellini Post-Modern Executive Desk Chair for Vitra, Signed and Dated 1992By Mario Bellini, VitraLocated in Los Angeles, CAA spectacular set of Mario Bellini signed desk chairs for the Vitra, dated 1992 production. This Post Modern set of task chairs feature soft and supple black leather in excellent condition, five star height adjustable bases on casters, and are extremely comfortable. *Note, 6 are available at the time of this listing, priced individually. We also have a 7th highback chair available as well in another listing. The black on black color combination of this set makes it perfect for Post-Modern interiors which are on-trend with upcoming design projects led by many of the worlds top interior designers. These design masterpieces are rare and hard to find, especially here in the United States, so interior designers: get this before your competition does! These Mario Bellini for Vitra leather...Category
1990s Swiss Modern Office Chairs and Desk ChairsMaterials
- Preben Fabricius & Jørgen Kastholm 'Bird' Chairs for Alfred Kill, 1960s, SignedBy Alfred Kill International, Jørgen Kastholm & Preben FabriciusLocated in Los Angeles, CAA gorgeous set of six original classic low-back 'bucket' versions of the Model FK-6725 deep blue leather 'Bird' chairs, also commonly referred to as the 'Tulip' chair and originally ...Category
Vintage 1960s German Mid-Century Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- Birillo Stool by Joe Columbo by Zanotta ItalyBy Joe ColomboLocated in Cincinnati, OHA mod pop art bar or counter Birillo stool by iconic Italian designer Joe Colombo with square seat bottom and lollipop styled seat back in white vinyl . ...Category
Mid-20th Century Italian Mid-Century Modern StoolsMaterials
- Space Age "Birillo" Bar Stool by "Joe" Colombo for Zanotta, Italy, 1970By Zanotta, Joe ColomboLocated in Frankfurt am Main, DEThe “birillo” bar stool (italian for “bowling pin”), designed in 1970 for italian company zanotta is one of his last designs: colombo died in 1971 at only 41 years of age. futuristic...Category
Vintage 1970s Italian Space Age StoolsMaterials
- Pair of "Birillo" Leather High Stools by Joe Colombo for Zanotta, Italy, 1970sBy Zanotta, Joe ColomboLocated in Milan, ITSet of two "Birillo" high stools by Joe Colombo for Zanotta. Steel stem, white resin base and white leather covered seating with chrome details.Category
Vintage 1970s Italian StoolsMaterials
- Joe Colombo for Zanotta Pair of Barstools in Leather and ChromeBy Joe Colombo, ZanottaLocated in Waalwijk, NLJoe Colombo for Zanotta, barstools, model 'Birillo', leather, chrome, fiberglass, Italy, 1971. Pair of remarkable swiveling 'Birillo' barst...Category
Vintage 1970s Italian Post-Modern StoolsMaterials
- Birillo Stools by Joe ColomboBy Joe ColomboLocated in Philadelphia, PASet of 2 Birillo stools designed by Joe Colombo for Zanotta. Red leather and steel these are beautiful pieces. Very good condition, wear consistent w...Category
20th Century Italian StoolsMaterials
- Elda Chair by Joe ColomboBy Joe ColomboLocated in Dorchester, MADesigned by Joe Colombo in 1965 (and named for his wife), the iconic Elda Chair marries a powerful Space Age frame of fiberglass with deep channeled cushion...Category
Vintage 1960s Italian Mid-Century Modern Swivel ChairsMaterials
Recently ViewedView All
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery