Preben Fabricius and Jorgen Kashtolm Swivel Chairs for Walter Knoll 1970s Signed
About the Item
- Creator:Jørgen Kastholm & Preben Fabricius (Designer),Walter Knoll (Manufacturer)
- Dimensions:Height: 34.25 in (87 cm)Width: 26 in (66.04 cm)Depth: 26 in (66.04 cm)Seat Height: 17.5 in (44.45 cm)
- Sold As:Set of 4
- Style:Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:circa 1970s
- Condition:Very good vintage condition with light patina and minor age appropriate wear throughout. Very attractive vintage examples ready for immediate use.
- Seller Location:Los Angeles, CA
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU1330224647712
Inspired by the Bauhaus — founded in 1919 by Walter Gropius — Walter Knoll decided to bet big on modernism. He launched his eponymous German furniture maker in 1925, and the company has been going strong ever since.
Most design lovers are familiar with Knoll, the manufacturer of furniture by Eero Saarinen, Harry Bertoia, Marcel Breuer, Ludwig Mies van der Rohe and other modernist giants. It was founded by Hans Knoll in 1941 and led after his death by his wife, Florence Knoll, the doyenne of postwar American office interiors. In recent years, the company has added collections by Maya Lin, Rem Koolhaas, Frank Gehry and David Adjaye, among others, and encouraged customers to do what some of them had been doing all along: use Knoll’s “office furniture” at home.
Fewer Americans are familiar with Walter Knoll, the company Hans’s father founded in Stuttgart, Germany, in 1925 and later moved to nearby Herrenberg. That company has existed in the shadow of the larger U.S.-based Knoll for decades.
Both companies descended from the German manufacturer of ornate leather goods established by Wilhelm Knoll in 1866. In 1907, Wilhelm’s sons, Willy and Walter, took over the father’s business and started producing leather club chairs. Five years later, the company introduced its Nestra line of stripped-down wood and leather seating, foreshadowing the family’s future innovations.
In 1925, when he was 50, Walter Knoll launched the Walter Knoll Company, which soon released the revolutionary Prodomo line of chairs, whose upholstered seats and backs are supported by tubular metal frames. Other lightweight Walter Knoll pieces were used in the passenger compartment of the Hindenburg zeppelin.
In 1927, Walter Knoll furnished five apartments designed by Ludwig Mies van der Rohe for the Weissenhof Estate, 21 prototypes of “workers’ housing of the future” constructed as part of an exhibition in Stuttgart. A decade later, Walter’s son Hans, then 24, traveled to the United States to market his father’s furniture and to make a new life for himself in the New World. But inspired by his encounters with Jens Risom — a Danish-born designer who furthered Scandinavian modernism in the United States — Hans broke away from Walter, creating Knoll Associates (now known simply as Knoll). Florence Schust (later to become Hans’s wife) joined him in the company in 1943, and soon they were working with mid-century modern icons such as Saarinen and Bertoia on new designs and licensing Mies’s Barcelona chair.
After the war, with his factories destroyed and labor and materials in short supply, Walter Knoll turned to Hans for help. Hans sent over several pieces from his Vostra line, designed by Risom. Walter replaced the web seats with upholstery and launched his version of the Vostra at the New Living exhibition in Cologne in 1949. It became hugely successful, persuading many Germans still accustomed to traditional furniture to give modernism a go.
Walter Knoll retired in 1964, but his namesake firm continued growing in Germany. Just like the American Knoll, Walter Knoll has found that some customers want to use pieces originally meant as office furniture in their houses. In fact, these pieces give living and dining rooms a crispness that almost no residential furniture can match.
Find vintage Walter Knoll lounge chairs, sofas, tables and other furniture on 1stDibs.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Long Beach, CA
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 14 days of delivery.
Automaton is the premier source for early-production originals of hard-to-find 20th-century designs and functional art, serving a range of clients, from celebrities and interior designers to aficionados with modest budgets. Its 20,000-square-foot Los Angeles space is packed with rare examples of designs from a large repertoire of such designers as Philip and Kelvin LaVerne, Vladimir Kagan, Eero Saarinen, Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, Jorge Zalszupin, Sergio Rodrigues and Giuseppe Scapinelli.
- Preben Fabricius & Jørgen Kastholm 'Bird' Chairs for Alfred Kill, 1960s, SignedBy Jørgen Kastholm & Preben Fabricius, Alfred Kill InternationalLocated in Los Angeles, CAA gorgeous set of six original classic low-back 'bucket' versions of the Model FK-6725 deep blue leather 'Bird' chairs, also commonly referred to as the 'Tulip' chair and originally ...Category
Vintage 1960s German Mid-Century Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
Aluminum$26,800 Sale Price / set21% Off
- Vladimir Kagan Corkscrew Swivel Chairs for Directional in Bouclé, SignedBy Vladimir Kagan, DirectionalLocated in Los Angeles, CANewly reupholstered in a soft and nubby light beige bouclé, these 'Corkscrew' swivel chairs, also often referred to as 'Nautilus', by Vladimir Kagan for Directional, circa 1980s / 90s are signed with Directional labels underneath. These classic Post-Modern club chairs swivel...Category
Vintage 1980s American Post-Modern Swivel ChairsMaterials
- Mario Bellini Post-Modern Executive Desk Chair for Vitra, Signed and Dated 1992By Vitra, Mario BelliniLocated in Los Angeles, CAA spectacular set of Mario Bellini signed desk chairs for the Vitra, dated 1992 production. This Post Modern set of task chairs feature soft and supple black leather in excellent condition, five star height adjustable bases on casters, and are extremely comfortable. *Note, 6 are available at the time of this listing, priced individually. We also have a 7th highback chair available as well in another listing. The black on black color combination of this set makes it perfect for Post-Modern interiors which are on-trend with upcoming design projects led by many of the worlds top interior designers. These design masterpieces are rare and hard to find, especially here in the United States, so interior designers: get this before your competition does! These Mario Bellini for Vitra leather...Category
1990s Swiss Modern Office Chairs and Desk ChairsMaterials
Leather, Plastic$1,425 Sale Price / item43% Off
- Pair of Pink Bouclé Post-Modern Swivel Club Chairs by Directional, 1980s, SignedBy Milo Baughman, DirectionalLocated in Los Angeles, CAThis gorgeous and very unique pair of swiveling club chairs have been newly reupholstered in a soft and nubby pink bouclé fabric, both chairs signed with Directional labels and produ...Category
Vintage 1980s American Post-Modern Club ChairsMaterials
Bouclé, Wood$11,000 Sale Price / set21% Off
- Aluminum Group Desk Chairs by Charles Eames for Herman Miller, SignedBy Charles and Ray Eames, Herman Miller, Charles EamesLocated in Los Angeles, CAThis classic and stylish 'Aluminum Group' executive desk chair by Charles and Ray Eames for Herman Miller. Signed underneath seat with Herman Miller labels and production date September 2000. This beautiful office chair features black channel stitched seats and integrated seat backs with aluminum five star bases on casters with tilt adjust and height adjust mechanisms, and is height adjustable. Similar to the Soft Pad collection, also by Eames, which was based on the design of the Aluminum Group chairs with the addition of padded cushions. This iconic 'Aluminum Group' chair by Charles Eames for Herman Miller with its graceful silhouette and clean lines make it appropriate for a number of locations, from Classic and contemporary homes to elegant executive offices, home office or hip startups. Consider using in a Mid-Century Modern or Postmodern home...Category
Early 2000s American Mid-Century Modern Office Chairs and Desk ChairsMaterials
- Polished Bronze Swivel Barstool by Designs for Leisure, 1980sBy Designs for LeisureLocated in Los Angeles, CAA beautiful leather Postmodern bar stool by 'Designs for Leisure', designed and produced in the 1980s, USA. This heavy swivel barstool features a...Category
Vintage 1980s American Post-Modern StoolsMaterials
Metal$2,050 Sale Price39% Off
- Armchair by Preben Fabricius & Jørgen Kastholm, Walter KnollBy Jørgen Kastholm & Preben Fabricius, Walter KnollLocated in Saint-Ouen, FRArmchair by Preben Fabricius & Jørgen Kastholm, Walter Knoll.Category
Vintage 1970s Danish Scandinavian Modern ArmchairsMaterials
- Set FK Lounge Chairs by Preben Fabricius and Jorgen Kastholm for Walter KnollBy Jørgen Kastholm & Preben Fabricius, Walter KnollLocated in Halle, DESet (2) FK lounge chairs, designed end of the 60s by the scandinavian designerduo Preben Fabricius und Jorgen Kastholm. So called Bird Chair or Tulip C...Category
Vintage 1960s German Space Age Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Pair of Preben Fabricius and Jørgen Kastholm Model Fk84 Swivel ChairsBy Jørgen Kastholm & Preben FabriciusLocated in Dallas, TXA pair of Model FK84 swivel chairs by Preben Fabricius & Jørgen Kastholm for Kill International, 1962. Early production with cantilevering back rest, in black leather on a three star...Category
Vintage 1960s Swivel ChairsMaterials
- Preben Fabricius & Jørgen Kastholm "Bird" Armchairs Model-FK672 for Walter KnollBy Jørgen Kastholm & Preben Fabricius, Walter KnollLocated in The Hague, NLArmchairs- office chairs designed by Preben Fabricius & Jørgen Kastholm for Walter Knool International manufacture in 1960s period Denmark. Model no: FK6725 as well as mostly called...Category
Vintage 1960s Danish Mid-Century Modern ArmchairsMaterials
- Midcentury Swivel Chairs, 1970sLocated in Praha, CZ-made of metal, fabric, leather - made in Germany - good original condition.Category
Vintage 1970s German Mid-Century Modern ArmchairsMaterials
Metal$305 Sale Price22% Off
- BO611 Swivel Desk Chair by Jorgen Kastholm & Preben Fabricius - Bo-Ex, DenmarkBy Jørgen Kastholm & Preben FabriciusLocated in Utrecht, NLRare model BO611 swivel chair by Jorgen Kastholm & Preben Fabricius, manufactured by Bo-Ex Denmark from 1968. Fibreglass reinforced polyester shell upholstered in a beautiful heavy q...Category
Vintage 1960s Danish Scandinavian Modern Office Chairs and Desk ChairsMaterials
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery