By Reid and Sons
Located in West Sussex, Pulborough
We are delighted to offer for sale this stunning and very rare John Reid & Sons Victorian Library bookcase in Pollard Burr oak with oxblood leather drop front secretaire desk
A very good looking and rare piece, pollard oak is highly collectable and was used by the finest furniture manufacturers, this piece is stamped to the rear John Reid & Son’s 13&14 Park Row Leeds.
The bookcase has fully adjustable top shelves, a drop front desk as mentioned with a nicely tooled oxblood leather top, the locks are stamped for Hobbs & Co London and Crofts and Assinder
In terms of the condition we have cleaned waxed and polished it from top to bottom, there will be plenty of patina marks from genuine age and honest use, the locks are temperamental and there are two keys present
Reid & Sons a brief history
In 1838 the company received a Royal Appointment from Queen Victoria. On the retirement of Christian Bruce Reid from the company in 1845 his two older brothers took Christian John Reid (1816-1891), son of David Reid Snr, as a partner in the company.
The firm, known as Reid & Sons, operated from 12 Dean Street, 14 Grey Street (1843) and 41 Grey Street in Newcastle (1855) and exhibited at the Great Exhibition of 1851 and at the 1862 International Exhibition, again held in London.
Between 1844 and 1898/9 Reid & Sons sent a number of marine chronometers for trial at Greenwich, coming second in 1844. On other occasions the company came third in the trials and did well enough for the Admiralty to buy a number of their chronometers.
The Antarctic explorer Ernest Shackleton had a Reid & Sons chronometer.In 1858 William Ker Reid left the business having been an absent partner since 1812 when he had moved to London to set up his own company.
On the death of David Reid Snr. in 1868 Christian John Reid ran the company with his brother David Reid Jr. (1832-1914, who retired from the company in 1882) and his sons Thomas Arthur Reid (1845-1910) and Walter Cecil Reid (1846-1933) in partnership with Francis James Langford at 41 Grey Street and 48 Grainger Street in Newcastle. Christian Leopold Reid (1872-1924) joined the partnership on the retirement of Walter Cecil Reid.
In 1909 the company relocated to Blackett Street in Newcastle under the co-management of Thomas Arthur Reid, Christian Leopold Reid and William Septimus Leete (1865-1930). In 1930 the firm was converted into a limited liability company with the name Reid & Sons Ltd. which in 1967 became a subsidiary of the Northern Goldsmiths Co Ltd, who were founded in Newcastle in 1892.
The company has been part of the jewellery group Aurum Holdings since 2004, which is established as 'Goldsmiths' with about 160 shops across England and Northern Ireland. In 2013 Reid & Sons celebrated its 235th anniversary. Among the company's most notable commissions are the FA Cup...
Category
19th Century English Victorian Antique Reid and Sons