Louis Vuitton Agenda Pen
Late 20th Century French Artist Desk Accessories
Gold, Gold Plate
21st Century and Contemporary Other
20th Century Miscellaneous
Late 20th Century French For The Desk
Late 20th Century French Other
21st Century and Contemporary French Other
Louis Vuitton for sale on 1stDibs
The story behind iconic luxury brand Louis Vuitton — best known for its esteemed handbags, crossbody bags, leather goods, ready-to-wear clothing and more — is one of craft and innovation in the worlds of fashion, jewelry and furniture.
The company’s modest origins can be traced back to when its founder, Louis Vuitton (1821–92), wishing to free himself from the conventional lifestyle in his provincial French city of Anchay as well as a difficult stepmother, left in the early 1830s to make a new life in Paris. The young Vuitton was 13 at the time and would need to travel on foot to get to the capital, which was hundreds of miles away. With stops along the way to make money so that he could forge ahead, the journey took a couple of years, but reward was close at hand.
When he arrived in Paris, Vuitton made a living with his hands. He toiled as a box maker and packer for more than a decade and built relationships with royals and members of the upper class while working for the empress of France, Eugenie de Montijo. In 1854, Vuitton launched his namesake company. The craftsman opened a humble workshop on rue Neuve des Capucines and advertised his services with a small poster that read: “Securely packs the most fragile objects. Specializing in packing fashions.”
Long before his brand would become known globally for its exemplary top-handle bags and stylish totes, Vuitton produced stackable and rectangular trunks. The most common trunks of the era were round, which weren’t ideal for toting and storing. In 1858, Vuitton debuted his lightweight, handcrafted canvas trunks, which were sturdy, rugged and equipped with convenient compartments. Travel’s popularity broadened in the late 19th century, and Vuitton’s trunks could easily be packed into train cars and ships — upright trunks meant hanging wardrobe storage that would allow his clients to transport their sophisticated garments without worry. Demand increased and the company grew. When Louis Vuitton died in 1892, control of the luxury house was passed onto his only son, Georges Vuitton.
In 1914, a Louis Vuitton store opened at 70 Champs-Élysées. The largest travel-goods store in the world at the time, it became the company’s flagship.
The Louis Vuitton brand embodies all the attributes of luxury, from the craftsmanship, exclusivity and relevance to heritage. It’s only appropriate that it boasts one of the most recognizable insignias — the imaginative interlocking of letters and fleurettes — in the fashion world. The famous LV monogram was first used in 1896 as part of an initiative by Georges to prevent counterfeiting of his coveted new line of travel trunks. It’s one of the earliest examples of fashion branding.
The LV monogram would soon appear on everything from bags and various fashion accessories to alligator-skin champagne cases, from stylish apparel and earrings to teddy bears and airplane models.
- 1stDibs ExpertApril 5, 2022There are a few sure-tell signs of authenticity for Louis Vuitton scarves. A Louis Vuitton scarf will have a hang tag attached with cleaning instructions and country of manufacturing. All Louis Vuitton scarves are made with the utmost craftsmanship and silk versions will have hand-rolled hems. On 1stDibs, shop a large collection of authentic Louis Vuitton scarves from some of the world’s top sellers.
- 1stDibs ExpertApril 5, 2022Yes, Louis Vuitton is known for luxury products that have been hand-crafted using high-quality materials, including real leather. Recently, the brand has started to explore vegan leather options for certain products as well to support sustainability. Browse a wide range of leather Louis Vuitton bags, shoes and more on 1stDibs.
- 1stDibs ExpertApril 5, 2022Yes, it is very common for Louis Vuitton items to have upside down LV logos because their leather goods are often made with one continuous piece of leather. Some handbag styles, like the Louis Vuitton Speedy, use one large piece of leather wrapped round the exterior, resulting in upside down LV logos. Shop a wide range of Louis Vuitton garments and handbags on 1stDibs.
- 1stDibs ExpertApril 5, 2022Key pouches are one of Louis Vuitton’s most popular small leather goods and restocks are subject to availability both on the brand’s website and through multiple retailers. For physical locations, consult the brand’s website. On 1stDibs, inventory from top-vetted sellers is routinely added. Shop a variety of in-stock Louis Vuitton key pouches and sign up for the mailing list for regular updates on stock.
- 1stDibs ExpertApril 5, 2022Louis Vuitton made its first handbag in 1925, with the first recipient being none other than Coco Chanel herself. It wasn’t until 1934 that Louis Vuitton started producing its bags for the general public. Find a collection of vintage and modern Louis Vuitton bags on 1stDibs.
- Can you return louis vuitton?1 Answer1stDibs ExpertMarch 22, 2022Yes, you typically can return items purchased directly from Louis Vuitton online or in a brand-owned retail store, provided you didn't use or damage them. Normally, Louis Vuitton places a limit on how long you have to return items. Check the information included with the item for specific return policies. You’ll find a large selection of Louis Vuitton on 1stDibs.
- 1stDibs ExpertApril 5, 2022Yes, prior to 1991 some Louis Vuitton handbags were made with Eclair zip closures. Branded zippers are a good way to confirm authenticity in some vintage styles. Vintage Louis Vuitton bags sometimes include Talon and C&C zippers as well. On 1stDibs, find a wide range of vintage Louis Vuitton items.
- 1stDibs ExpertApril 5, 2022No, Louis Vuitton does not manufacture their products in China. The brand’s sole workshops are in France, Spain, Switzerland and the United States. Products that claim to be Louis Vuitton but are made in China are likely to be fake. On 1stDibs, you can shop a wide selection of expertly vetted Louis Vuitton products to ensure authenticity.
- 1stDibs ExpertApril 5, 2022For its return policy, Louis Vuitton offers complimentary returns and exchanges within 30 days. The item needs to be in pristine condition with its original packaging. Shop a collection of vintage and new Louis Vuitton designs from some of the world’s top boutiques on 1stDibs.
- 1stDibs ExpertApril 5, 2022Louis Vuitton belts are made from a variety of materials that change depending on the style. Some belts are crafted with calf leather, while others see an integration of canvas to complete their design. Find an array of Louis Vuitton accessories from the world’s top sellers on 1stDibs.
- 1stDibs ExpertMarch 22, 2022Where you can find the date code on a Louis Vuitton wallet varies based on the style. Most often, the brand stamps the date code directly onto the space above a seam or onto a tag located along a seam. Wallets made before 1982 and after March 2021 don't have date codes. Shop a large collection of expertly vetted Louis Vuitton wallets on 1stDibs.
- 1stDibs ExpertApril 5, 2022Like with most Louis Vuitton handbags, the date code for a Louis Vuitton Speedy will be located inside the handbag in the internal pocket, stamped on a leather tab. On 1stDibs, find a large collection of authentic Louis Vuitton Speedy handbags.
- 1stDibs ExpertApril 5, 2022The date code on a Louis Vuitton bag is usually located along a seam, either on the interior or exterior of the bag. Look along the edges and undersides of pockets and closely examine any leather tabs on the interior. Date codes may fade over time, so look carefully if your bag is older. On 1stDibs, you can browse a wide collection of expertly vetted authentic Louis Vuitton bags.
- 1stDibs ExpertFebruary 22, 2021Louis Vuitton bags are so expensive due to their exquisite craftsmanship and durable materials. Additionally, the production of Louis Vuitton products is limited, which also increases the brands prices.
- 1stDibs ExpertApril 5, 2022You can add a strap to your Louis Vuitton Speedy handbag, and the high-fashion retailer offers a variety of colorful designs to give your bag a boost. You’ll find a variety of Louis Vuitton handbags from some of the world’s top sellers on 1stDibs.
- 1stDibs ExpertApril 5, 2022To find the date code on Louis Vuitton handbags, look to the interior. Unlike other luxury brands, Louis Vuitton does not come with authenticity cards but rather a date code stamped in the lining or on a leather tab within an interior pocket. Note, Louis Vuitton did not include date codes in their handbags until 1982 and stopped including date codes as of March 2021. Newer Louis Vuitton items instead have an RFLD chip. On 1stDibs, find a wide range of authentic Louis Vuitton items.
- 1stDibs ExpertJanuary 4, 2022Louis Vuitton is available for purchase from its official Louis Vuitton boutiques, a variety of online retailers and at luxury department store chains such as Nordstrom, Neiman Marcus and more. When shopping online for Louis Vuitton products, it’s important to choose a reputable seller to ensure your purchase is authentic. On 1stDibs, find a collection of authentic Louis Vuitton goods from some of the world’s top sellers.
- 1stDibs ExpertApril 5, 2022Yes, the Louis Vuitton Neverfull bag has a serial number stamped into a leather tag in the bag’s interior. Look for the tag behind the interior pocket of the bag. Shop a collection of expertly authenticated Louis Vuitton Neverfull bags on 1stDibs.
- 1stDibs ExpertApril 5, 2022Yes, if they’re post-1980. Modern Louis Vuitton products have date codes that indicate the country of manufacture and the time of year it was made. The date codes are usually tucked away in seams or pockets. On 1stDibs, you’ll find a large collection of authentic Louis Vuitton products from some of the world’s top sellers.
- 1stDibs ExpertMarch 22, 2022No, not all Louis Vuitton items have date codes. The brand introduced the codes in 1982, so vintage bags produced before that date lack the code. In March 2021, Louis Vuitton began adding authentication microchips to their bags instead of stamping on date codes. You’ll find a large selection of authentic Louis Vuitton apparel and accessories on 1stDibs.