Items Similar to B Train (from the series A Story of the New York Subway) View More
Kazuo SumidaB Train (from the series A Story of the New York Subway)
14 x 11 inch gelatin silver print. Edition 15. Signed on verso. Kazuo Sumida first visited New York in 1995. He found the city to be one of “both bustle and silence,” particularly the underground world of the subway, where he encountered “a place full of characters.” By 2002, he had produced a large body of work of images taken in this subterranean metropolis – tender scenes of lovers and children; gritty portraits of beggars for whom the subway is home; artists, musicians, commuters, and others who pass through the tunnels on their daily journeys. The resulting monograph, A Story of the New York Subway, was published in 2002. Sumida was born in 1952 in Kochi Prefecture in southern Japan. Although photography was not his formal career, Sumida has pursued the art throughout his life. He graduated from Osaka Photography Graduate School in 1983, and also studied at the International Center of Photography in New York, on a fellowship from the Japanese Agency for Cultural Affairs. He lives in Japan, and continues to visit New York frequently. His work has been shown at the Tokyo Ginza Kodak Photo Salon and the Tokuyama City Museum of Art in Japan. In 2013, the Chicago Art Institute acquired and exhibited several images from his series entitled Notes from Underground: Memories of My Uncle, which now reside in their permanent collection.
- ArtistKazuo Sumida (1952, Japanese)
- Creation Year2002
- Movement & Style
- Condition DetailsThis work is offered here unframed. If framing is desired, please contact the gallery for available options (at an additional cost).
- DimensionsH 14 in. x W 11 in.H 35.56 cm x W 27.94 cm
- Gallery LocationNew York, NY
- Reference NumberLU30221201583
Buyer Protection Guaranteed
Our Promise To You: If you're not happy with the way an item arrived, we'll work with the seller on your behalf to ensure you're satisfied with the resolution. Read more
Delivery, Returns & Payment
- DeliveryRates vary by destination and complexityShipping methods are determined by item size, type, fragility and specific characteristics.Shipping costs are calculated based on carrier rates, delivery distance and packing complexity.
- Return Policy
This item can be returned within 7 days of delivery.View details
- Online Payment Methods1stdibs accepts the following payment methods
- Item InvoiceGenerate an invoice that you can customize and print.
About the Seller
No Reviews Yet
1stdibs seller since 2015
Located in New York, NY
Art Dealers Association of America
Association of International Photography Art Dealers
You may also contact the seller by phoneCall seller through 1stdibs
More From This Seller
N Train (from the series A Story of the New Yor...
23rd Street, 7th Avenue (from the series A Stor...
A Train (from the series A Story of the New Yor...
You May Also Like