Versace Le Jardin
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Skirts
People Also Browsed
1990s Italian Evening Dresses
1950s Unknown Ballerina Dresses
1990s French Fur Puffer Coats
1990s Italian Evening Dresses
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Evening Dresses and Gowns
2010s Italian Babydoll Day Dresses
1980s Italian Coats
Early 2000s Italian Shoes
21st Century and Contemporary French Mini Dresses
Early 2000s Italian Cocktail Dresses
21st Century and Contemporary Coats
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Jackets
Early 2000s French Cocktail Dresses
Early 2000s Italian Coats and Outerwear
1980s Hooded Jackets
21st Century and Contemporary French Dress and Coat Ensembles
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Skirts
Versace for sale on 1stDibs
Subversive, maximalist and unabashedly seductive, Gianni Versace’s (1946–97) designs infused high fashion with an entirely new ethos. “I don’t believe in good taste,” the legendary Italian couturier once explained. Instead, he had a sexy good time with fashion — as he did with life. Today, vintage Versace clothing, handbags and other accessories look astonishingly fresh and freshly relevant.
More than any designer before him, Versace mined celebrity, music and Pop art for inspiration. In fact, the New York Times noted in 1997 that the fashion industry “is now driven by contemporary culture because Mr. Versace made it that way.” Insiders consider his 1991/1992 Autumn/Winter runway show — which featured supermodels Christy Turlington, Cindy Crawford, Naomi Campbell and Linda Evangelista lip-synching George Michael’s “Freedom! '90” — the moment when the two worlds of fashion and pop culture became one, changing both forever.
Versace was born in Reggio di Calabria, Italy. His mother was a successful dressmaker who employed more than 40 seamstresses. As a child, little Gianni marveled at her workshop, which would become a university of sorts, where he learned the exceptional construction techniques that were at the foundation of his creative expression.
In 1972, at age 25, Versace moved to Milan to work in fashion. He launched his first collection — and his label — in 1978, with his older brother Santo managing the business concerns. Soon, sister Donatella, whom Gianni dressed and took to discos when she was still a child, joined the family venture, where she had a creative role and managed enormously popular ready-to-wear lines such as Versus.
Vintage Versace has become catnip for modern fashion enthusiasts who seek out the now-iconic house codes that originated in the designs of the 1980s and 1990s. His glamorous and seductive apparel — the clingy skirts and slender, strappy party dresses, as well as the erotic magazine ads that publicized them — looms large, but Versace’s art and historical influences were also vast.
Versace was an art collector, and he took on commissions to create costumes for theatrical performances during the 1980s and spoke of looking to numerous cultures for inspiration. This adventurous spirit of design resulted in his creating jewel-toned prints rooted in Grecian motifs, Etruscan symbols, the Italian Baroque and Andy Warholʼs Marilyn Monroe. There were slinky dresses in Oroton, his patented chain-mail textile that draped like satin, and leather bondage ensembles. Sex sold, for both women and men. Wrote the late curator Richard Martin, “[Versace] became the standard-bearer of gay men’s fashion because he eschewed decorum and designed for desire.”
Following Versace’s tragic murder in 1997, Donatella took over the role of artistic director and continued to evolve the house codes with a twist of her feminine and feminist perspective. Today, Santo Versace is chief executive officer of Versace and Donatella is its chief creative officer.
Finding the Right skirts for You
For everyday casual wear, elevating your look at the office or making a dramatic entrance at a formal event, authentic designer and vintage skirts are reliably versatile garments.
Skirts have been around for thousands of years. A woman’s straw skirt found in an Armenian cave is believed to have been handwoven in 3,900 B.C., and long, full skirts were worn by men and women in Ancient Egypt and Ancient Mesopotamia. Over time, the hemlines might have changed significantly but the skirt’s integral role in fashion has remained in place.
By the early 1900s, skirt hemlines had crept up slightly to ankle-length height from the densely layered floor-length style that dominated the Victorian era — a radical shift. As women in the United States began to live more active lives during the 1920s, designers such as Gabrielle “Coco” Chanel sought to free them from the long skirts and other constrictions that persevered in fashion by introducing her first little black dress. That same decade, she debuted her perfume, Chanel No. 5, as well as the Chanel suit with a fitted skirt, inspired by the boxy lines of men’s clothing and employing a sporty tweed.
Advancements in swimwear during the 1920s and 1930s also reflected a climbing hemline. Visionary designers such as Elsa Schiaparelli eventually pushed the boundaries of modesty with her backless suit, but women still wore long garments in public. Also during the so-called Roaring ’20s, short flapper dresses that fell at the knees and boasted a free-flowing sack-like silhouette, as well as chic beaded evening gowns and floral day dresses, paired fabulously with the dazzling jewelry of the era. This proved to be just a fleeting deviation from prevailing social convention, however. Skirts grew longer again in the 1930s, even if bows and other embellishments were added. As women entered the workforce in large numbers, clean lines accentuated curves and flared slightly where the material resolved at the ankles.
After World War II, France earned recognition as the center of fashion design for women. It was the golden age of haute couture, and women, quick to dispense of the drab utilitarian wartime garb that hung in their closets, pined for luxurious, elegant skirts designed by Christian Dior, Chanel, Givenchy and others, which were splashed across the pages of Vogue and Harper’s Bazaar in richly colored photographs shot by the likes of Richard Avedon and David Bailey. The 1960s introduced narrow pencil skirts and provocative minis emblazoned with geometrically dazzling patterns or bright floral prints by designers such as Emilio Pucci, Pierre Cardin and Lilly Pulitzer. By the 1970s, women felt emboldened to wear different varieties of this all-purpose garment, exploring wraps, crushed velvet maxis and other styles crafted by Halston, André Courrèges, Yves Saint Laurent and others.
On 1stDibs, find a wide range of designer and vintage skirts for any gender by Prada, Dolce & Gabbana, Alexander McQueen and more. Whether it’s a skirt that can be altered to suit a specific style or an addition that’s ready to join your cherished collection, find exactly what you’re looking for today.
- 1stDibs ExpertApril 5, 2022The best way to determine the year of manufacture on your Versace product is to contact the brand directly or consult an expert. Decoding Versace serial numbers is something of a trade secret, and the rules on how to read them vary between different product lines. On 1stDibs, shop a collection of Versace clothing and accessories from some of the world’s top boutiques.
- 1stDibs ExpertApril 5, 2022To clean Versace sunglasses, use a mild dish soap to wash the lens surface if water alone isn’t enough. Make sure that the soap is lotion-free, and run the sunglasses under warm water. Never dry or scrub with paper products or your shirt’s fabric, which can permanently scratch the lenses. Dry your sunglasses with a soft, lint-free cloth to keep them in good condition. Shop a collection of vintage and contemporary Versace sunglasses on 1stDibs.
- 1stDibs ExpertApril 5, 2022Check the authenticity of Versace products by tapping the NFC tag with your phone or scanning the QR code. Be warned that some fakes will give you a logo code so make sure you verify it online. Shop a collection of Versace accessories from some of the world’s top sellers on 1stDibs.
- How do I fix a Versace belt?1 Answer1stDibs ExpertApril 5, 2022How you fix your Versace belt depends on the damage. In most cases, the best way to fix it is to take it to a reputable leather repair service that has experience working with luxury leather accessories. On 1stDibs, find vintage and contemporary Versace belts and other accessories from top sellers around the world.
- 1stDibs ExpertApril 5, 2022To find the value of a pair of vintage Versace clothing, experts suggest that you work with a certified appraiser. While some online resources are helpful when you’re looking for information about the value of an item, the suggested value you find may not reflect the actual value of your item. The actual value depend on a number of factors, including the shape your garments are in. You’ll find expertly-vetted vintage Versace clothing on 1stDibs.
- 1stDibs ExpertApril 5, 2022Versace is known to offer some customizable and personalized products. For more information about specific products, consult the brand’s website. Shop a collection of vintage and contemporary Versace clothing and accessories from some of the world’s top boutiques on 1stDibs.
- What is Versace eco-leather?1 Answer1stDibs ExpertApril 5, 2022Eco-leather is a term that has some overlap between different users which leads to confusion. It’s sometimes a term used for synthetic leather substitutes, while other times it refers to genuine leather that has been cured and tanned with a process that has a low environmental impact. For information about specific products that use the term, consult the brand’s website. Shop a collection of Versace accessories from some of the world’s top boutiques on 1stDibs .
- 1stDibs ExpertApril 5, 2022Donatella Versace, the muse of her brother Gianni, became head designer at Versus, a diffusion line of the house of Versace, in 1994. In 1998, a year after her brother’s death, Donatella Versace debuted her first collection for couture fashion brand Versace Atelier. She is known for her breathtaking Jungle Dress that A-list celebrity Jennifer Lopez made famous at the 2000 Grammy Awards. Shop a large collection of Versace couture from some of the world's top sellers on 1stDibs.
- Where can I buy Versace jewelry?1 Answer1stDibs ExpertApril 5, 2022You can purchase Versace jewelry from the brand’s website or brick-and-mortar boutiques, as well as through various luxury retailers. Popular Versace jewelry pieces include necklaces, bracelets, and earrings. Shop a range of vintage and contemporary Versace accessories on 1stDibs.
- What fabric did Versace invent?1 Answer1stDibs ExpertApril 5, 2022Gianni Versace invented “Oroton,” a unique metal mesh ‘fabric’ that allowed him to create shimmery effects inspired by classical draperies. Versace debuted this revolutionary material in the early 1980s, and it has continued to captivate audiences ever since. Shop a collection of Versace Oroton garments on 1stDibs from some of the world’s top sellers.
- 1stDibs ExpertApril 5, 2022What you wear with a Versace shirt is really a matter of preference and depends on your personal style. Versace has offered many vibrant prints and patterns over the years which can be styled with a number of different garments. Whether you’re after a vintage or modern look, shop a collection of expertly-vetted Versace clothing and accessories on 1stDibs.
- Where can I buy Versace?1 Answer1stDibs ExpertApril 5, 2022You can purchase Versace clothes and accessories from the brand’s website, its brick-and-mortar boutiques all over the world, or its various retail partners. You can also find new and vintage Versace on third-party seller platforms—but make sure it’s a reputable one. On 1stDibs, you'll find authentic vintage and modern Versace pieces from trusted sellers worldwide.
- 1stDibs ExpertFebruary 22, 2021There are numerous ways to tell if a Versace belt is real. Versace uses the Certilogo security feature, which is a twelve-digit security code that is attached to every label. Additionally, real Versace belts will have more detailed belt buckles than the original. Fake belts are known for having larger screws. Real Versace belts will be made of high quality leather and have uniform stitching.
- 1stDibs ExpertApril 5, 2022The composition of Versace shoes varies from model to model. For specific information, consult the brand’s website or an authorized retailer near you. Shop a collection of vintage and contemporary Versace shoes from some of the world’s top boutiques on 1stDibs.
- How do Versace suits fit?1 Answer1stDibs ExpertApril 5, 2022For the most part, Versace suits run true to size, but it often depends on the style and model. If you’re ordering a Versace suit online, make sure you can return it if it doesn’t fit properly. On 1stDibs, find vintage and contemporary Versace clothing from top sellers around the world.
- Does Versace have accessories?1 Answer1stDibs ExpertApril 5, 2022Yes. Versace offers a wide range of accessories for men and women, including jewelry, hats, bags, shoes, scarves, watches, belts, wallets, and more. On 1stDibs, you'll find a large selection of authentic modern and vintage Versace accessories from top sellers around the world.
- Does Versace use gold?1 Answer1stDibs ExpertApril 5, 2022Yes, Versace uses real gold in their fine jewelry collections. For information about specific products, consult the brand’s website. On 1stDibs, you’ll find a collection of expertly-vetted vintage and contemporary Versace jewelry from some of the world’s top sellers.
- Does Versace run true to size?1 Answer1stDibs ExpertApril 5, 2022Versace clothing runs true to size but the brand uses Italian sizing standards. If you’re used to purchasing clothing with US sizes, it might benefit you to determine your Italian size or order up a size because Italian sizes can run slightly smaller. Shop a collection of authentic Versace clothing from some of the world’s top boutiques on 1stDibs.
- Does Versace go on sale?1 Answer1stDibs ExpertApril 5, 2022You can find great sales on Versace's ready-to-wear items, bags, accessories and even home decor on the brand’s website, its brick-and-mortar boutiques, or through various online and in-store retailers. On 1stDibs, find Versace clothes, accessories and home decor from top sellers around the world.
- 1stDibs ExpertApril 5, 2022Yes, Versace manufactures sunglasses with UV protection. Consult the brand’s website or an authorized retailer near you for more specific information. Shop a collection of vintage and modern Versace sunglasses from some of the world’s top sellers on 1stDibs.