1980s Albert Nipon Size 10 Blue Silk Abstract Stiped Vintage 80s Belted Dress
About the Item
The chic fashion label Albert Nipon began in 1954 as a maternity-wear company founded by married couple Albert and Pearl Nipon in their native city of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Pearl, who’d been cutting and sewing fabric since she was a child, had previously run a dress shop with her sister before marrying Albert in 1953. When she was pregnant, Pearl found that the available clothes for expectant mothers “looked just terrible,” as she told WWD in 1974, so she decided to design her own line. Called Ma Mère, their company grew into a successful enterprise, eventually home to more than 100 stores nationwide. In the early 1970s, the couple decided to sell the maternity business to focus on a high-end women’s fashion label they named Albert Nipon. Pearl maintained the role of couturier, and her natural elegance and flair for fashion design helped make Albert Nipon an enduring success.
At the time of Albert Nipon’s founding, pantsuits and separates were in fashion. Despite this, the Nipons chose to focus on dresses. Pearl and Albert knew that their dresses — with their woven and natural fibers, intricate details and chic European sensibility — were unlike others on the market. The label would become known for its use of pussycat bows, elegant collars, cuffs, tucks and pleats. Their risk paid off, and at its peak Albert Nipon was generating $60 million in annual dress sales.
Celebrities such as Mary Tyler Moore, Barbara Walters and Rosalynn Carter wore Albert Nipon’s designs, and major retailers like Saks Fifth Avenue, Neiman Marcus and Lord & Taylor carried the house’s dresses. Pearl Nipon’s instinctive sense of what women wanted their clothes to look like — stylish, feminine, comfortable and with unusual detailing — made Albert Nipon one of the most popular labels of its time.
Find vintage Albert Nipon dresses, scarves and other accessories on 1stDibs.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: San Diego, CA
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
- 1960s House of Bianchi Demi Couture Turquoise Blue Silk Brocade Vintage 60s GownLocated in San Diego, CAGorgeous early 60s HOUSE OF BIANCHI turquoise blue silk brocade short sleeve gown / dress ! Features a vibrant turquoise blue silk with lighter green ...Category
1960s American Evening Gowns
- 1960s Blue + Green Silk Damask Beaded Short Sleeve Vintage 60s Sheath DressLocated in San Diego, CABeautiful early 60s blue and green silk damask floral print short sleeve beaded sheath dress ! Luxurious silk fabric features just the right amount...Category
1960s Cocktail Dresses
- 1970s Patriotic Blad Eagle USA Patriotic Red, White and Blue 70s Maxi DressLocated in San Diego, CAIncredible vintage 1970s patriotic maxi dress! Turquoise blue base, with vibrant colors of red, white, blue and gold throughout. Peek-a-boo cut out above the bust, with a high neck. ...Category
1970s American Maxi Dress
- ROBERTO CAVALLI 1990s Cobalt Blue Feathers + Rhinestone 90s Handkerchief DressBy Roberto CavalliLocated in San Diego, CASexy late 90s vintage ROBERTO CAVALLI feathers and rhinestones viscose jersey handkerchief hem halter dress! Features bright cobalt blue mixed with white and black throughout. Real feathers...Category
1990s Italian Cocktail Dresses
- 1990s Angel Sanchez Navy Blue Silk Vintage 90s Strapless Evening Gown DressBy Angel SanchezLocated in San Diego, CAStunning late 1990s ANGEL SANCHEZ Couture navy blue silk strapless mermaid evening gown ! The perfect alternative to black, this shade of navy bl...Category
1990s American Evening Gowns
- 1950s Bonwit Teller Demi Couture Blue Abstract Floral Fit n' Flare Vintage DressBy Bonwit TellerLocated in San Diego, CAPhenomenal vintage 50s BONWIT TELLER demi couture blue abstract flower print fit n' flare cotton dress! Features a fitted bodice, with two bands ...Category
1950s Italian Cocktail Dresses
- Gucci Blue Geometric-pattern Jacquard Shirt Dress size MBy GucciLocated in Brossard, QCFollow us on Insta @runwaycatalog Epilogue was conceived as the final act of the story of leaving behind fashion’s old rules, and reveals all of the elements that have guided the Gu...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Maxi Dresses
- Vintage Moroccan Caftan with Metallic Blue Silk BrocadeLocated in North Hollywood, CAStunning and elegant Moroccan caftan with metallic blue silk brocade. handmade in Morocco and tailored for a relaxed fit with wide sleeves This long maxi dress kaftan is embroidered ...Category
20th Century Moroccan Kaftans
- Elegant Moroccan Caftan in Blue Metallic Floral BrocadeLocated in North Hollywood, CAElegant Moroccan caftan metallic blue floral brocade, This is an exceptional example of Moroccan fashion design. Handcrafted in Morocco and tailored for a relaxed fit with wide sleeves, it is made in the traditional form of a Moroccan caftan using metallic brocade fabric. It is trimmed in handcrafted “passementerie”. The neckline does up with ball shaped buttons and loops. The body of the garment is loose fitting and flares to the bottom. The sleeves are somewhat bell shaped with an open cuff that does up with metallic gold buttons. The fabric is a rich looking metallic thread blend brocade. This long maxi dress kaftan is embroidered and embellished entirely by hand with detailing around neckline, shoulders and cuffs. One of a kind evening Moroccan Middle Eastern gown. The kaftan features a traditional neckline, embellished sleeves. It is a slip on, the button does not open. In Morocco, fashion preserves its traditional style inherited from great civilizations that found their way to Northwest Africa, such as the ottomans and the moors. Moroccan fashion has been recognized for its style and has garnered a reputation, winning awards in international fashion shows throughout Europe. Marrakech Bohemian, Yves Saint Laurent style. Sizing: No size is indicated, but, being a loose fitting garment, this should fit a range of medium to large sizes, please rely on the following measurements for fit: Measured flat: Shoulders 16” across Sleeves 23.5” Bust 20” Waist 24” around Hips 26” around Length 58”. Condition: It is in very good condition with no wear, tear, stains or odors. this caftan looks like it saw little use and was well stored over the years. This is a beautiful example of Moroccan fashion design, only now becoming more appreciated and sure to increase in value! Women's long flare bell sleeves Islamic dress...Category
20th Century Moroccan Kaftans
- Moroccan Kaftan in Turquoise Blue and SilverLocated in North Hollywood, CAElegant Moroccan caftan in turquoise blue and silver metallic embroidered trim and front. This long maxi dress kaftan is embroidered and embellished entirely by hand. It’s crafted in...Category
20th Century Moroccan Kaftans
- Vintage Moroccan Designer Kaftan Turquoise Maxi Dress Kaftan SmallLocated in North Hollywood, CAElegant vintage designer Moroccan turquoise blue kaftan, embroidered with turquoise and white trim. This chic Gypsy Bohemian maxi dress kaftan is embroidered and embellished with a blue and white trim. One of a kind evening Moroccan Middle Eastern gown. Vintage exotic 1970s floral blue brocade dress kaftan handmade in North Africa, Morocco. Size Small. Dress measurement flat: Shoulder: 16" Sleeve: 22" Chest: 18" Hip: 22" Total length: 52" Handcrafted by Moroccan artist designer, this is a one of a kind caftan, inspired by the tales of princess of the Arabian Nights. The Kaftan is a long and wide tunic, collarless, long-sleeved, worn by man and women in Africa and the Middle East. The Moroccan kaftans inspired European and global designers as Yves Saint Laurent, Valentino, and many more who made the Moorish caftans...Category
20th Century Moroccan Caftans
- Issey Miyake Rainbow Colorful Vintage Runway Pleated Striped Tunic Top DressBy Issey MiyakeLocated in PARIS, FRColorful dress by Issey Miyake! Excellent condition! Size: M Length: 89 cm / 35 inch Bust: 52 cm / 20.5 inch Made in Japan!Category
Early 2000s Evening Dresses
Recently ViewedView All
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery