- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Bill Blass Cocktail Dress with Bold Floral Applique LBD Sz 10 Vintage
- DimensionsMarked Size: 10 (US)Bust: 36 in. (91.44 cm)Waist: 29 in. (73.66 cm)Hip: 36 in. (91.44 cm)Shoulder to Hem: 40 in. (101.6 cm)
- Stylecontemporary (In the Style Of)
- Place of OriginUnited States
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use. Good condition with minimal signs of prior wear.
- Seller LocationPort Saint Lucie, FL
- Reference NumberSeller: Bill Blass Cocktail Dress Dimensional Florals Sz 101stDibs: LU407215480982
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingShips From: Port Saint Lucie, FL
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 1 day of delivery.
About the Designer
Venerated designer and philanthropist Bill Blass helped define style for women of means during the late 20th century and inspired generations of fashion industry professionals and enthusiasts all over the world.
Blass designed garments that saw a playful mingling of notes both subdued and bold, and his clothes were comfortable, easy to wear and sexy. The Indiana native was influenced by the likes of Coco Chanel and became famous for refined, simple looks that appealed to prominent women such as Brooke Astor and Gloria Vanderbilt.
Blass didn’t endeavor to produce showstoppers — he worked with quality materials, and his modern designs boasted meticulous tailoring. He glamourized sportswear with chic lines and dramatic colors, and by way of subtle, graceful ruffles or a tasteful application of sequins, he introduced modest flair to his day dresses and evening dresses. Vintage Bill Blass clothing is just as relevant today as it was during the height of his career.
Blass, who spent his spare time sketching red-carpet looks in his school notebooks as a kid, left home at 17 and moved to New York City, where he trained at the McDowell School of Fashion. After finishing design school, he joined the U.S. Army and fought in World War II. When the war was over, Blass returned to Manhattan. In 1946 he joined the fashion house Anna Miller and Co., where he worked as a design assistant for Anna Miller and her brother Maurice Rentner.
Anna Miller and Co. merged with Maurice Rentner, Ltd. in 1959, and Blass became the company's head designer. There he quickly built a name for himself and was soon a staple of the postwar fashion scene, impressing even the fashion editor of Harper's Bazaar at the time, Diana Vreeland. Blass expanded into designing menswear and was the first couture designer in America to create a collection for men.
In 1970, Blass gained ownership of Rentner and renamed the company after himself. Blass employed a licensing-based business strategy, and soon his name marked a full array of accessories and apparel, including Bill Blass jeans, watches, home furnishings, eyewear and luggage. Blass's renown and success expanded considerably, as fashion bearing his name became more accessible than it had ever been.
Throughout his life, Blass made considerable contributions to the AIDS care center at Cornell Medical Center and to the New York Public Library. In 1962, he became a founding member of the Council of Fashion Designs of America (CFDA) trade association, which promotes American designers around the world. The CFDA presented Blass with a Lifetime Achievement Award in 1987, and he was the first recipient of their Humanitarian Leadership Award in 1996.
Find vintage Bill Blass fashion on 1stDibs.
- Christian Lacroix Evening Gown with Corset Rare Haute Couture Silk Crepe XSBy Christian LacroixLocated in Port Saint Lucie, FLThis fabulous haute couture evening gown was made by Christian Lacroix, most likely in the early 1980s. Made from what we believe is a fine silk crepe (no content label), this piece ...Category
1980s Evening Gowns
- Chanel Cocktail Dress Flapper Style Layered Black Silk Chiffon Size 6 Rare 1970sBy ChanelLocated in Port Saint Lucie, FLThis little black dress was designed during the mid 1970s, after Gabrielle 'Coco' Chanel passed away and before Karl Lagerfeld was brought in. It's made from tons of tiered sheer bl...Category
1970s Cocktail Dresses
- Rena Lange Cocktail Dress Sequins Party Dress 90s Vintage Sz 38By Rena LangeLocated in Port Saint Lucie, FLSparkling Rena Lange cocktail dress, likely made in the 90s. Made from moss green silk crepe, it's covered in deep green sequins throughout and features a chic low cut back. Qualit...Category
1990s Cocktail Dresses
- Louis Feraud Evening Gown and Jacket 2pc Metallic Gold & Black Vintage Size 8By Louis FeraudLocated in Port Saint Lucie, FLAuthentic, preowned, vintage Louis Feraud evening gown and jacket 2pc set, sold by high end boutique Isaacson's in Atlanta, most likely in the early 90s. The open cropped jacket is m...Category
1990s Evening Gowns
- Anne Klein Little Black Dress with Bows Velvet Cocktail LBD Bergdorfs Sz 8By Anne KleinLocated in Port Saint Lucie, FLVintage little black dress by Anne Klein, originally sold by Bergdorf Goodman NY and likely made in the 90s. Black velvet with black satin bow detail on the back straps! Simple and ...Category
1990s Cocktail Dresses$316 Sale Price20% Off
- Galanos Black Silk Velvet Evening Gown with Sculptural Collar Sz SBy GalanosLocated in Port Saint Lucie, FLHere's a sophisticated evening gown from Galanos, likely created in the early 1980s. Made from what we believe is silk velvet (no content tag), this piece features a sculptural coll...Category
1980s Evening Gowns
You May Also Like
21st Century and Contemporary Babydoll Dresses
1970s Evening Dresses and Gowns
1980s Cocktail Dresses
1980s Evening Dresses and Gowns
Early 2000s Cocktail Dresses
1970s Evening Gowns
1980s Evening Gowns
1960s Evening Gowns
1990s Evening Dresses and Gowns
1980s Evening Dresses
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Insured Global Delivery