Bill Blass Leopard Print Sheer Silk Chiffon Cocktails and Dinner Dress
About the Item
- Dimensions:Length: 36 in (91.44 cm)Marked Size: Small-Medium (US)Bust: 36 in (91.44 cm)Waist: 30 in (76.2 cm)Hip: 36 in (91.44 cm)
- Place of Origin:
- Seller Location:New Hope, PA
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU4710112012
Venerated designer and philanthropist Bill Blass helped define style for women of means during the late 20th century and inspired generations of fashion industry professionals and enthusiasts all over the world.
Blass designed garments that saw a playful mingling of notes both subdued and bold, and his clothes were comfortable, easy to wear and sexy. The Indiana native was influenced by the likes of Coco Chanel and became famous for refined, simple looks that appealed to prominent women such as Brooke Astor and Gloria Vanderbilt.
Blass didn’t endeavor to produce showstoppers — he worked with quality materials, and his modern designs boasted meticulous tailoring. He glamourized sportswear with chic lines and dramatic colors, and by way of subtle, graceful ruffles or a tasteful application of sequins, he introduced modest flair to his day dresses and evening dresses. Vintage Bill Blass clothing is just as relevant today as it was during the height of his career.
Blass, who spent his spare time sketching red-carpet looks in his school notebooks as a kid, left home at 17 and moved to New York City, where he trained at the McDowell School of Fashion. After finishing design school, he joined the U.S. Army and fought in World War II. When the war was over, Blass returned to Manhattan. In 1946 he joined the fashion house Anna Miller and Co., where he worked as a design assistant for Anna Miller and her brother Maurice Rentner.
Anna Miller and Co. merged with Maurice Rentner, Ltd. in 1959, and Blass became the company's head designer. There he quickly built a name for himself and was soon a staple of the postwar fashion scene, impressing even the fashion editor of Harper's Bazaar at the time, Diana Vreeland. Blass expanded into designing menswear and was the first couture designer in America to create a collection for men.
In 1970, Blass gained ownership of Rentner and renamed the company after himself. Blass employed a licensing-based business strategy, and soon his name marked a full array of accessories and apparel, including Bill Blass jeans, watches, home furnishings, eyewear and luggage. Blass's renown and success expanded considerably, as fashion bearing his name became more accessible than it had ever been.
Throughout his life, Blass made considerable contributions to the AIDS care center at Cornell Medical Center and to the New York Public Library. In 1962, he became a founding member of the Council of Fashion Designs of America (CFDA) trade association, which promotes American designers around the world. The CFDA presented Blass with a Lifetime Achievement Award in 1987, and he was the first recipient of their Humanitarian Leadership Award in 1996.
Find vintage Bill Blass fashion on 1stDibs.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: New Hope, PA
- Return PolicyA return for this item may be initiated within 1 day of delivery.
- Richard Tyler Couture Autumn Floral Printed Silk Chiffon DressBy Richard Tyler Couture, Richard TylerLocated in New Hope, PARichard Tyler has chosen an interesting micro pleated autumnal silk chiffon for this chic cocktail dress. This gives the dress enough room to just slip on over your head. It has a ro...Category
1990s American Cocktail Dresses
- Lesage Beaded Embroidered Silk Vest Bias Chiffon Skirt by Maggie Norris CoutureBy Maggie Norris, Maggie Norris CoutureLocated in New Hope, PAThe Lesage Paris atelier used silver and white beads and cream silk and silver metallic threads to create the honey bees on this silk taffeta vest from Maggie Norris Couture. Documen...Category
21st Century and Contemporary American Evening Dresses
- Tina Leser Dress and Shawl French Provincial Cotton PrintBy Tina LeserLocated in New Hope, PATina Leser used a colorful cotton border print from the South of France for this charming two piece dress and shawl. The boned camisole style top is cut entirely from the border prin...Category
1960s American Informal Dresses
- Jean-Louis Scherrer Gold Lace over Leopard Print DressBy Jean-Louis ScherrerLocated in New Hope, PALustrous gold lace is layered over a leopard print with a gold sheen for a subtle and unusual animal print dress. There are narrow straps, a center back invisible zipper and a scallo...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Cocktail Dresses
- Tropical Print Silk Georgette Dress or CaftanLocated in New Hope, PAStart planning your Island vacation now because this is your perfect dress or caftan. The sheer black background allows the brilliant tropical blooms to be so eye catching. Shades ...Category
Late 20th Century American Informal Dresses
- Maggie Norris Couture Beaded and Embroidered Champagne Satin Gown with TrainBy Maggie Norris CoutureLocated in New Hope, PAThis is such a beautiful champagne colored strapless gown with a train, designed by Maggie Norris, the former Senior Design Director of Womenswear at Ralph Lauren. The dress has a b...Category
21st Century and Contemporary American Evening Gowns
- Azzedine Alaia black white polka dot sleeveless flare babydoll mini dress FR 36By Azzedine AlaïaLocated in Paris, FRAzzedine Alaia sleeveless flared dress in black with white polka dot print Fitted upper which extends into a flared full skirt Concealed back zip Size: FR 36 with plenty of stretch...Category
2010s Italian Cocktail Dresses
- Christian Dior Resort 2018 brown cream floral print corset bustier midi dressBy Christian DiorLocated in Paris, FRChristian Dior Resort 2018 Cream midi length dress with brown floral print Boned corset upper with underwire cups Button up front which is f...Category
2010s French Evening Dresses
- Prabal Gurung Mixed Sequin Wrapped Sash Mini DressBy Prabal GurungLocated in Brossard, QCDreamy watercolor sequins create a stunning cocktail piece that is defined by its wrapped asymmetric sash skirt and tapered puff sleeves. V-neck Long puff sleeves Concealed side zip ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary American Cocktail Dresses
- Oscar de la Renta 2007 Runway Look Brown Ruffle Trim Sun DressBy Oscar De La RentaLocated in San Francisco, CAOscar de la Renta brown pencil dress with raw edged ruffle trim. Grosgrain trim circles the bodice. Boned at bodice for shape. Back zip and hook and eye. Seen in another color in L...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Casual Dresses
- Adolfo 1970s Three Piece Red and Metallic Midi or Maxi Skirt and Tank Dress SetBy AdolfoLocated in San Francisco, CAThree piece vintage Adolfo burgundy red and metallic floral brocade skirt(s) and top set, circa 1970s- 80s, ensures you're set for any occasion! Pair the the bodice with the long ski...Category
1970s American Evening Dresses
- UNWORN Dolce & Gabbana 2006 Gold Metallic Lace Tassel Empire Dress Gown 42By Dolce & GabbanaLocated in Switzerland, CHGORGEOUS DOLCE & GABBANA GOLDEN LACE DRESS ONE OF THE MOST BEAUTIFUL PIECES BY DOLCE & GABBANA DETAILS: A DOLCE & GABBANA timeless classic signature piece that will last you ...Category
Early 2000s Italian Cocktail Dresses