- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Bill Blass Vintage Black Soutache Evening Dress
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Sparks, NV
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
About the Designer
Venerated designer and philanthropist Bill Blass helped define style for women of means during the late 20th century and inspired generations of fashion industry professionals and enthusiasts all over the world.
Blass designed garments that saw a playful mingling of notes both subdued and bold, and his clothes were comfortable, easy to wear and sexy. The Indiana native was influenced by the likes of Coco Chanel and became famous for refined, simple looks that appealed to prominent women such as Brooke Astor and Gloria Vanderbilt.
Blass didn’t endeavor to produce showstoppers — he worked with quality materials, and his modern designs boasted meticulous tailoring. He glamourized sportswear with chic lines and dramatic colors, and by way of subtle, graceful ruffles or a tasteful application of sequins, he introduced modest flair to his day dresses and evening dresses. Vintage Bill Blass clothing is just as relevant today as it was during the height of his career.
Blass, who spent his spare time sketching red-carpet looks in his school notebooks as a kid, left home at 17 and moved to New York City, where he trained at the McDowell School of Fashion. After finishing design school, he joined the U.S. Army and fought in World War II. When the war was over, Blass returned to Manhattan. In 1946 he joined the fashion house Anna Miller and Co., where he worked as a design assistant for Anna Miller and her brother Maurice Rentner.
Anna Miller and Co. merged with Maurice Rentner, Ltd. in 1959, and Blass became the company's head designer. There he quickly built a name for himself and was soon a staple of the postwar fashion scene, impressing even the fashion editor of Harper's Bazaar at the time, Diana Vreeland. Blass expanded into designing menswear and was the first couture designer in America to create a collection for men.
In 1970, Blass gained ownership of Rentner and renamed the company after himself. Blass employed a licensing-based business strategy, and soon his name marked a full array of accessories and apparel, including Bill Blass jeans, watches, home furnishings, eyewear and luggage. Blass's renown and success expanded considerably, as fashion bearing his name became more accessible than it had ever been.
Throughout his life, Blass made considerable contributions to the AIDS care center at Cornell Medical Center and to the New York Public Library. In 1962, he became a founding member of the Council of Fashion Designs of America (CFDA) trade association, which promotes American designers around the world. The CFDA presented Blass with a Lifetime Achievement Award in 1987, and he was the first recipient of their Humanitarian Leadership Award in 1996.
Find vintage Bill Blass fashion on 1stDibs.
- Bill Blass Vintage Chocolate Brown Tiered Silk Party DressBy Bill BlassLocated in Sparks, NVElegant chocolate brown tiered silk party dress by Bill Blass. Simple and chic. Details: Fully Lined Matching Belt Back Zip and Hook Closure Estimated Size: Small-Medium Co...Category
Late 20th Century American Cocktail Dresses
- Bill Blass Vintage Black + White Lace Strapless Cocktail DressBy Bill BlassLocated in Sparks, NVVintage black lace cocktail dress with white tambour embroidery by Bill Blass. Details: Fully Lined Back Zip and Hook Closure Strapless Marked Size: 6 Estimated Size: S-M ...Category
Late 20th Century American Cocktail Dresses$275 Sale Price44% Off
- 1960s Bill Blass for Maurice Rentner Vintage One-Shoulder Black Cocktail DressBy Maurice Rentner, Bill BlassLocated in Sparks, NVVintage 1960s Bill Blass for Maurice Rentner one-shoulder cocktail dress with side buttons. Simple and chic! Details: Fully Lined Side Zip Closure Marked Size: 14 Estimated ...Category
1960s American Toga Dresses
- Bill Blass Vintage Strapless Black Velvet + Taffeta Cocktail DressBy Bill BlassLocated in Sparks, NVVintage 1980s little black dress by Bill Blass. Strapless with asymmetric bow detail in velvet and taffeta. Fully lined with rear zip and hook closure. There is no marked size, but t...Category
1980s American Cocktail Dresses
- Bill Blass Vintage Metallic Gold & Blue Sequin + Beaded Cocktail DressBy Bill BlassLocated in Sparks, NVVintage blue satin cocktail dress with metallic gold sequin and beaded bodice by Bill Blass. PLEASE NOTE: There is some overall wear and slight loss of metallic finish to some of ...Category
Late 20th Century American Cocktail Dresses$95 Sale Price72% Off
- Bill Blass for Saks Fifth Avenue Ruched Brown Jersey Knit DressBy Bill BlassLocated in Sparks, NVBrown jersey knit dress by Bill Blass Drop waist and balloon sleeves Unlined Side Pockets Back Zip and Hook Closure Marked Size: 8 Estimated Size: 8 Color: Medium Ash Brown F...Category
21st Century and Contemporary American Evening Dresses and Gowns$120 Sale Price68% Off
- Bill Blass Dress Braided Detail, 1970sBy Bill BlassLocated in Austin, TXBill Blass black velvet dress with braided rope trim and toggle closures. Condition: Excellent. Marked size 12 but fits more of a current 8 - 10 We accept returns for refund, pl...Category
1970s American Evening Dresses and Gowns$260 Sale Price20% Off
- Long asymmetrical black crêpe dress Bill BlassBy Bill BlassLocated in Saint-Ouen-Sur-Seine, FRLong asymmetrical black crêpe dress draped on the right shoulder. Split in the middle back = 45 cm. Silk lining. Zip on the right side. Size LCategory
Early 2000s American Evening Dresses
- Bill Blass Vintage Dress Abstract Black White Evening Gown DrapingBy Bill BlassLocated in Portland, ORThis elegant Bill Blass designer vintage dress is from the 1980s and is in a stunning black and white abstract print. There are two zippers, shoulder pads, and incredible draping. T...Category
1980s American Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Vintage Bill Blass Linen Little Black Evening Dress W Cutout Neckline & Low BackBy Bill BlassLocated in Portland, ORVintage Bill Blass pieces are truly remarkable and we always grab them whenever we can! This amazing Bill Blass vintage black linen evening mini dress has a dramatic cutout design at...Category
1990s American Cocktail Dresses
- 1970s Vintage Bill Blass Black Net & Lace Cocktail DressBy Bill BlassLocated in Portland, ORWe love this dress! This 1970's Bill Blass vintage black dress is made in a dotted net with lace and nude silk at the bodice. The dress has a hemline that is similar to a tulip hem e...Category
Late 20th Century American Cocktail Dresses
- Bill Blass Fall 2008 Platinum Jacquard Evening Bustier Dress Peter Som New w/tagBy Bill Blass, Peter SomLocated in Portland, ORThis is a beautiful deadstock platinum multi wood bustier evening dress from Peter Som's Fall/Winter 2008 debut collection for Bill Blass. The overall effect of the fabric is that of...Category
Early 2000s American Cocktail Dresses