- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
90s Vivienne Westwood black velvet double breasted and skirt ensembles
About the Item
For someone who regularly swats away the industry that made her, audacious British fashion designer Dame Vivienne Westwood certainly knows her way around a garment. And she knows how to provoke. “I don’t follow fashion,” Westwood once told the New York Times. “I’ve never been interested in it.”
Westwood was born Vivienne Isabel Swire in a village in Derbyshire, in central England, but moved to London as a teen. In the early 1960s, she began to make her own jewelry and met an artist, activist and entrepreneur named Malcolm McLaren. They became involved romantically and she made clothes for him in the style of the Teddy Boys — the city’s music-crazed, occasionally violent teenagers at the time who wore high-waisted trousers and tailored velvet blazers that drew on Edwardian-era fashions.
Westwood and McLaren opened a vintage shop on King’s Road in London in 1971. The flared denim and peasant blouses of the 1960s, then still popular with the “peace and love” set, didn’t hold any weight for Westwood. Instead, she was interested in provocative, edgy apparel. She repaired used clothing and endeavored to create bold new designs from scratch.
Together Westwood and McLaren sold older rock-and-roll records, customized T-shirts with antiestablishment slogans, biker jackets and snug trousers inspired by the Marlon Brando film The Wild One as well as bondage fetish wear. The shop, once called Let It Rock and then Too Fast to Live, Too Young to Die before Sex became a more appropriate moniker, evolved into a youth mecca. The DIY garments — zippered tops, burnt tees emblazoned with anarchist messages — flew off the shelves. More notably, it brought punk to the masses. Westwood was soon dressing the Sex Pistols, a band that McLaren managed, all the while bridging the gap between music and fashion in a manner that has reverberated throughout the industry for decades.
In 1981, the couple’s first fashion show marked the debut of their Pirate collection — a swashbuckler-themed line that sprang from Westwood’s research into Indigenous Americans and the “power garments” of the Louis XIV era. The collection’s ample proportions and cutting-edge tailoring countered punk’s geometry and tight latex fits as well as what rocker Adam Ant called the “Puritanism” that plagued England at the time. The Pirate collection’s enduring influence on the world of fashion as well as the theatrical work of designers such as John Galliano and Alexander McQueen is undeniable.
The self-taught Westwood enjoyed a rapid ascent in fashion, with British society embracing her looks and Vogue immortalizing them in its glossy pages. She’s dressed Kate Moss and Helena Bonham Carter, and a wedding dress that she created is featured in 2008’s Sex and the City film.
Today, the fires of political and environmental activism burn brightly for Westwood: She is a Greenpeace ambassador, having designed the organization’s official “Save the Arctic” logo; her clothing brand is committed to using recycled canvas and other eco-friendly materials in the production process; and in 2020, she protested the extradition of Julian Assange by suspending herself in a bird cage outside London’s Old Bailey court. But she will always be the grande dame of British design.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Sheung Wan, Hong Kong
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
- Vintage Spring 1998 Chanel Pink/White Tweed SuitBy ChanelLocated in Sheung Wan, HK- Vintage Chanel pink/white tweed suit from spring 1998. - Gold hardware “CC” buttons closure. - Four front pockets. - Boxy straight cut. - Silk “CC” lining with gold chain. ...Category
1990s French Skirt Suits
- Clements Ribeiro Multi Colour Retro Patterns Blouse and Pants EnsembleBy Clements RibeiroLocated in Sheung Wan, HK- Vintage 90s Clements Ribeiro multi colour retro patterns blouse and pants ensemble. Featuring a elastic hem and spaghetti straps round neck pullover blouse, a button and zipper clo...Category
1990s Italian Suits, Outfits and Ensembles
- Issey Miyake Black Pleated Long Coat and Skirt EnsembleBy Issey MiyakeLocated in Sheung Wan, HK- Vintage 90s Issey Miyake black pleated long coat and skirt ensemble. - Knotted Button closure on both coat and skirt. - Satin piping trim. - A back vertical satin trim on bot...Category
1990s Japanese Suits, Outfits and Ensembles
- Vintage 90s Roberto Cavalli Art Collection Dress and Long CardiganBy Roberto CavalliLocated in Sheung Wan, HK- Vintage 90s Roberto Cavalli art collection dress and long cardigan with indian inspired print. - Long floor length gold string wool cardigan with embroideries. - Turtleneck str...Category
1990s Italian Dress and Coat Ensembles
- Thierry Mugler Purple Skirt Suit EnsembleBy Thierry MuglerLocated in Sheung Wan, HK- Vintage 90s Thierry Mugler purple velvet crawl neckline and shoulder jacket and mini skirt ensemble. - Featuring four front snap buttons and one snap button on each cuff. -...Category
1990s French Skirt Suits
- Chanel Black Nylon/Wood Tweed Jacket and Skirt Ensemble with Silk ExtensionBy ChanelLocated in Sheung Wan, HK- Vintage Chanel black nylon and wool tweed jacket and skirt ensemble with silk fabric extension from year 2000 collection. - Silk fabric extension from neck, hem to cuff and the h...Category
Early 2000s French Suits, Outfits and Ensembles
- 90s Vivienne Westwood Prince of Wales SkirtBy Vivienne WestwoodLocated in Lugo (RA), ITVivienne Westwood gray wool skirt with Prince of Wales motif. Straight cut, side zip closure and back vent. Lined. Years: 90s Size: 42 IT Flat measurements Height: 59 cm Waist:...Category
1990s Pencil Skirts
- 2000s Vivienne Westwood Sigle-Breasted JacketBy Vivienne WestwoodLocated in Lugo (RA), ITVivienne Westwood beige linen blend fabric blazer. Model with classic lapel collar, front closure with logoed buttons, flap pockets and long sleeves with buttoned cuffs. Years: 90s ...Category
Early 2000s Italian Blazers
- Vivienne Westwood SS1994 Leopard JeansBy Vivienne WestwoodLocated in Beverly Hills, CAVivienne Westwood’s spring 1994 collection comes from one of the most successful eras of her career, where she explored the aesthetics of the late-19th and early-20th century upper...Category
1990s Italian Jeans
- 1974 Vivienne Westwood x Malcolm McClaren SEX tank topBy Vivienne Westwood and Malcolm Mclaren, Vivienne WestwoodLocated in Berlin, BEArchive tank top, 100% Cotton Length 47 cm, Width 36cm. Made in London, England. Museum worthy archive item. • Located in the 430 King’s Road, Vivienne Westwood opened SEX shop in ...Category
1970s English Tank Tops
- Vivienne Westwood SS1994 "Cafe Society" Trucker JacketBy Vivienne WestwoodLocated in Beverly Hills, CAVivienne Westwood’s spring 1994 collection comes from one of the most successful eras of her career, where she explored the aesthetics of the late-19th and early-20th century upper c...Category
1990s American Jackets
- Vivienne Westwood metallic sea green denim jacket and pants set, ss 1993By Vivienne WestwoodLocated in London, GB▪ Vivienne Westwood metallic sea green denim jacket and pants set ▪ Inverted seams ▪ Gold orb etched buttons ▪ Red contrast stitch ▪ High waisted pants ▪ Boxy fit jacket ▪ Size ...Category
1990s British Suits, Outfits and Ensembles
- Vivienne Westwood Floral Cotton PlaysuitBy RED LABEL by VIVIENNE WESTWOOD, Vivienne WestwoodLocated in London, GBA fun playsuit in floral cotton by Vivienne Westwood, Red Label. The suit has a white collar, yoke and pocket, with a nine button front opening. It has a self fabric belt and pockets...Category
Early 2000s Italian Suits, Outfits and Ensembles
- Vivienne Westwood Wool/Cashmere 2pc Jacket and Skirt, Circa 2000By Vivienne WestwoodLocated in Los Angeles, CAThis is a 2pc green, red, and brown speckled wool/cashmere skirt and jacket set by Vivienne Westwood, from 2000. It has three logo buttons up the front, two front flap pockets, and p...Category
Late 20th Century English Suits, Outfits and Ensembles
- Vivienne Westwood grey houndstooth check tweed skirt suit, fw 1996By Vivienne WestwoodLocated in London, GB▪ Vivienne Westwood grey houndstooth-check tweed skit suit ▪ Sold by One of a Kind Archive ▪ Fall-Winter 1996 ▪ Harris Tweed ▪ Asymmetric cut ▪ Hourglass shape ▪ Leg-of-Mutton slee...Category
1990s English Suits, Outfits and Ensembles
- Vivienne Westwood brown tartan tweed skirt suit with sheepskin collar, fw 1995By Vivienne WestwoodLocated in London, GB▪ Vivienne Westwood brown tartan tweed skirt suit ▪ Sold by One of a Kind Archive ▪ Fall-Winter 1995 ▪ Hourglass cut jacket with detachable sheepskin collar ▪ Large orb-etched butto...Category
1990s Italian Suits, Outfits and Ensembles
- Vivienne Westwood blue and red striped skirt, blouse and tie ensemble ss 1996By Vivienne WestwoodLocated in London, GBOriginal Vivienne Westwood Gold Label ensemble featuring a blue an d red striped skirt, blouse, and very rare wide tie. Spring-summer 1996 Measurements: Shirt (UK 12) Shoulder - 2...Category
1990s British Skirt Suits
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery