- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Bill Blass Unworn Deadstock Vintage Wool Jacket + Skirt Suit
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Sparks, NV
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
About the Designer
Venerated designer and philanthropist Bill Blass helped define style for women of means during the late 20th century and inspired generations of fashion industry professionals and enthusiasts all over the world.
Blass designed garments that saw a playful mingling of notes both subdued and bold, and his clothes were comfortable, easy to wear and sexy. The Indiana native was influenced by the likes of Coco Chanel and became famous for refined, simple looks that appealed to prominent women such as Brooke Astor and Gloria Vanderbilt.
Blass didn’t endeavor to produce showstoppers — he worked with quality materials, and his modern designs boasted meticulous tailoring. He glamourized sportswear with chic lines and dramatic colors, and by way of subtle, graceful ruffles or a tasteful application of sequins, he introduced modest flair to his day dresses and evening dresses. Vintage Bill Blass clothing is just as relevant today as it was during the height of his career.
Blass, who spent his spare time sketching red-carpet looks in his school notebooks as a kid, left home at 17 and moved to New York City, where he trained at the McDowell School of Fashion. After finishing design school, he joined the U.S. Army and fought in World War II. When the war was over, Blass returned to Manhattan. In 1946 he joined the fashion house Anna Miller and Co., where he worked as a design assistant for Anna Miller and her brother Maurice Rentner.
Anna Miller and Co. merged with Maurice Rentner, Ltd. in 1959, and Blass became the company's head designer. There he quickly built a name for himself and was soon a staple of the postwar fashion scene, impressing even the fashion editor of Harper's Bazaar at the time, Diana Vreeland. Blass expanded into designing menswear and was the first couture designer in America to create a collection for men.
In 1970, Blass gained ownership of Rentner and renamed the company after himself. Blass employed a licensing-based business strategy, and soon his name marked a full array of accessories and apparel, including Bill Blass jeans, watches, home furnishings, eyewear and luggage. Blass's renown and success expanded considerably, as fashion bearing his name became more accessible than it had ever been.
Throughout his life, Blass made considerable contributions to the AIDS care center at Cornell Medical Center and to the New York Public Library. In 1962, he became a founding member of the Council of Fashion Designs of America (CFDA) trade association, which promotes American designers around the world. The CFDA presented Blass with a Lifetime Achievement Award in 1987, and he was the first recipient of their Humanitarian Leadership Award in 1996.
Find vintage Bill Blass fashion on 1stDibs.
- Bill Blass Vintage Quilted Silk Pink Polka Dot Jacket + Skirt Dress SuitBy Bill BlassLocated in Sparks, NVVintage pink and gray polka dotted quilted skirt suit by Bill Blass. Short sleeve button up jacket with a peplum shape and matching pencil skirt with a side slit. Both pieces are ful...Category
Late 20th Century American Skirt Suits
- Spectacular Irene Lentz Vintage 1940s 40s Gray Wool Blazer JacketBy Irene Lentz, IreneLocated in Sparks, NVAbsolutely spectacular Irene Lentz vintage jacket from the 1940s. Pristine couture tailoring with buttons that get smaller towards the middle of the jacket. Darling yellow lining. A ...Category
1940s American Blazers
- 1970s Vintage Suede Leather Jacket + Skirt EnsembleLocated in Sparks, NVDarling vintage 1970s genuine suede leather ensemble featuring a short sleeve jacket and skirt by Suede & Leathercraft Limited. Wear together as an ensemble or separately! Both piece...Category
1970s British Jackets
- 1940s Vintage Couture Silk & Wool Pin Striped Jacket + Skirt Suit EnsembleLocated in Sparks, NVAbsolutely stunning vintage 1940's couture suit featuring hand stitched silk lining, highest quality silk and wool blend fabric and an incredibly sleek 1940s silhouette with an asymm...Category
1940s French Suits, Outfits and Ensembles
- 1980s Bernard Perris Vintage Wool/ Cashmere Jacket + Skirt Suit EnsembleBy Bernard PerrisLocated in Sparks, NVGorgeous vintage Bernard Perris skirt suit in a coral red and pale celery green plaid. Fabric feels like a cashmere/ wool blend. Fully lined with front zip closure on jacket and rear...Category
1980s French Skirt Suits
- Vintage 1950s 50s Navy Wool & Silk Skirt Suit 3-Piece EnsembleLocated in Sparks, NVGorgeous 3-piece 1950s suit includes a jacket, skirt and matching belt. Chic and tailored with rounded notched lapels. Partially Lined Front Pockets Matching Belt Front Button ...Category
1950s Skirt Suits
- Vintage Grey Wool Bill Blass Unique Pleated Blazer Jacket & Skirt SuitBy Bill BlassLocated in Portland, ORThis is such a unique vintage wool skirt and jacket suit designed by the iconic American designer Bill Blass. We love finding vintage Bill Blass pieces like this and this is a great ...Category
Late 20th Century American Skirt Suits
- Vintage Bill Blass Black Knit Jacket & Skirt Suit with Rhinestone ButtonsBy Bill BlassLocated in Portland, ORThis lovely Bill Blass vintage 2 piece black wool blend crepe suit includes an unlined jacket with rhinestone and black buttons down the center front and a straight skirt. This light...Category
1990s American Skirt Suits
- Black and white printed cotton skirt suit Bill BlassBy Bill BlassLocated in Saint-Ouen-Sur-Seine, FRBlack and white printed cotton skirt suitCategory
1980s American Skirt Suits
- Bill Blass Collection Plaid Skirt Suit Saks Fifth Avenue Size 18By Bill BlassLocated in Palm Springs, CAIt’s very hard to find a Ametican Designer Collection quality Suit in plus sizes. This rare beautiful suit was custom ordered at Saks fifth Avenue and made by the Bill Blass factory ...Category
1990s American Skirt Suits$380 Sale Price20% Off
- Bill Blass Feather Trim Jacket with Skirt SetBy Bill BlassLocated in Carmel by the Sea, CABill Blass skirt set featured in grey, blue with a tapestry design. Jacket has a feathered collar, button closures, and two functional pockets at the hem. Skirt is fully lined with a...Category
Late 20th Century American Suits, Outfits and Ensembles
- Chanel 1980's Rare Reversible Skirt SetBy ChanelLocated in Scottsdale, AZFeel cool and collected with this 80's era Chanel skirt set! This two-in-one ensemble is completely reversible for a whole new look making this Chanel set a no-brainer! One look feat...Category
1980s Italian Skirt Suits