This original finish cerused and carved wood ziggurat, demi-lune plinth was one of two that graced the lounge of the Fisher Theater from its opening in 1928 until its re-fit in the early sixties. All the themed decor was produced under the supervision of Sylvanius Griswold Morley, renowned expert on the Mayan Civilization from the Carnegie Institute of Washington, who also wrote the opening night brochure. The dark stained plinth is carved with tracery in Mayan style, and is supported by three carved turtles whose shells are stained in a lighter shade. All finishes are original (Below: Period 1928 photograph from opening night brochure showing plinth in situ, camera left).
Of the Period
Sylvanus Griswold Morley 0
Place of Origin
Date of Manufacture
All original, dark stained, cerused and carved wood with light stained accents.
Wear consistent with age and use
38in. H x 30in. W x 16in. D
97cm H x 76cm W x 41cm D
Port Hope, Canada
Number of Items
More from this Dealer
- American Art Deco Chrome and Copper Geometric Andirons and Fender Fireplace Set
- Distressed American Art Deco Cast Iron Garden Etagere with Mirror Inserts.
- Rare Pair of American Art Deco or Machine Age "Fire Imp" Andirons
- American Art Deco "Woodikin" Store Mannequin by Oscar Segall
- Pair of American Art Deco Patriotic Chenets/Andirons in Tricolour Metal
- American Pair of Art Deco Restored Chrome and Copper Chenets/ Andirons
- English Art Deco Polychrome Aluminum Figural Fire Screen
- Art Deco Polychrome Perspex or Lucite "Liquorice Allsorts" Electric Clock
- American Art Deco Pair of Wrought Iron Floor Lamps with Integral Jardinieres.
- American Art Deco Chrome, Black and Mirror Topped Tray Table or Magazine Stand
- American Art Deco Polychrome Wood and Chrome Banded Wall Mounted Corner Table
- Rare American Mid-Century Modern Two-Tier, Two-Tone Coffee Table
- American Mid-Century Modern Arborite, Wood and Brass, Two-Tier Side Table
- American Art Deco Chrome and Green Mirror Coffee Table in the Style of Deskey
- Large German Art Deco Chromed Steel and Glass, Two Tier Cocktail Table