Items Similar to Antique French Terracotta Statue of the Goddess Diana View More
Antique French Terracotta Statue of the Goddess Diana
This magnificent terracotta statuary depicts Diana as the focal point of the group. Two playful dogs want to be a part of the entire process with one jumping up on her body! Three women are attending her, one washing her foot, another is on the lookout for intruders and the last woman is holding one of the dogs by the collar with a quiver on her back. Notice the superior figurative sculpting of the facial expressions; the dresses and how they drape for a certain movement; the hands, fingers and feet showing certain movements; and, the positions of the dogs, with their feet in movement clutching Diana’s stomach and the other displays his toes spread as he pushes off to jump from the ledge. This artisan was definitely a master at his craft. In Roman mythology, Diana was Goddess of all wild animals and the hunt. Suitable for any area of the home, this terra cotta statuary will be a topic of conversation, early 1900s.
- In the Style Of
- Place of Origin
- Date of ManufactureEarly 1900s
- Materials and Techniques
- Condition DetailsExcellent; Old surface buildup to center area.
- WearWear consistent with age and use.
- DimensionsH 16 in. x W 11 in. x D 11 in.H 40.64 cm x W 27.94 cm x D 27.94 cm
- Seller LocationDallas, TX
- Seller Reference Number618-6
- Reference NumberLU906311114901
Buyer Protection Guaranteed
Our Promise To You: If you're not happy with the way an item arrived, we'll work with you and the seller to reach an optimal resolution. Read more
Shipping, Returns & Payment
- ShippingRates vary by destination and complexityShipping methods are determined by item size, type, fragility and specific characteristics.Shipping costs are calculated based on carrier rates, delivery distance and packing complexity.
- Return Policy
This item can be returned within 2 days of delivery.View details
- Online Payment Methods1stdibs accepts the following payment methods
- Item InvoiceGenerate an invoice that you can customize and print.
About the Seller
5 / 5
1stdibs seller since 2011
Located in Dallas, TX
More From This Seller
Antique Carved Giltwood Eagle Statue
Antique 19th Century French Empire Animal Sculptures
This carved giltwood eagle statue is portrayed with outstretched wings and legs pulled up as though just landing upon something. There is a wooden peg on the bottom of the statue ind...
Set of Four Antique Lead French Dolphin Statues...
Vintage 1910s French Garden Ornaments
This wonderful group of four stylized dolphins from France were once part of a large French fountain. Of course, they can once again be incorporated into a fountain design. They woul...
Large Antique Polychromed Wood Statue of a Bish...
Antique 17th Century German Figurative Sculptures
Fabric, Glass, Wood, Paint
This 64 inch high antique statue of a Bishop dates to circa 1650 and is German in origin. Starting in the 15th and 16th centuries, there was a large demand for ecclesiastical carving...
Antique Italian Marble Statue of a Woman, Late ...
Antique Late 19th Century Italian Figurative Sculptures
This beautiful marble statue of a young woman holding a single flower dates to the 19th century and is of the Italian school. She is shown wearing a long, dropped waist dress that is...