Albert Chubac, Composition,
Collage and cutout, gouache,
Signed lower right,
circa 1980, France.
Measures: Height 29 cm, width 17, depth 3 cm (without frame).
Albert Chubac was born in Geneva in 1920. After studying decorative art, then at the Beaux-Arts in Geneva, he obtained grants to travel to Italy, Algeria, Spain, Egypt and Greece, stages which will mark his work.
He settled in 1964 on the Côte d ‘Azur in Aspremont in a very Spartan house, attracted by the light, the sun and the colors of nature.
The year 1967 is the year of the establishment of the School of Nice. He will work and exhibit alongside Aman, César, Tinguely, Gilli, Ben, Rayse, etc ...
In 1990, it was the consecration with the opening of MAMAC in Nice. Albert Chubac then becomes accessible to the general public.
He will use solid primary colors, will develop modifiable structures and then develop the collages in three dimensions.
Gradually, he broke away from his classical training and figuration to move towards abstraction through the encounters and influences of contemporary artists.
Always in search of simplicity, He will radically limit the plastic means with a reduced palette, geometric shapes and simple gestures to concentrate on minimum conditions of possibility.
His work, which lies between constructivism and geometric abstraction, is playful and imbued with the artist's joie de vivre.
In 2004, following the major retrospective at the Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art in Nice, he donated around one hundred works to the City of Nice.
Albert Chubac died in 2008 in Tourrette-Levens, near Aspremont.
- Albert Chubac, MAMAC Nice, Cultures Nice Editions, 2004.
- Albert Chubac: exhibition, Nice, Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art, January 29 - May 16, 2004.
- Albert Chubac, Galerie Harter, 2013.
- Albert Chubac, a lifetime of artist, Patrick Boussu and Cynthia Lemesle, South Art éditions, 2021.
During the workshop auctions in Nice and Marseille, the Harter Gallery acquired the largest part of his work.
- 1950: Personal exhibition in Athens at the Zappéion museum.
- 1954: Exhibition at the Arman Gallery in Geneva.
- 1956: Exhibition at the Galerie Connaître in Geneva.
- 1957: Exhibition at the Galerie La Palette in Zurich.
- 1958: Exhibition at the Galerie L’Entracte in Lausanne.
- 1960: Exhibition at the World House Gallery in New York.
- 1967: Exhibition at the Galerie Loo in Geneva, at the Salon Comparaison in Paris, Aspects in Chexbres in Switzerland.
- 1968: “Paintings” exhibitions from March 30 to May 11 at the Galerie Alexandre de la Salle.
- 1970: Exhibition at the Maison des Jeunes et de la Culture de Magnan in Nice, at the Maison de la Culture Le Corbusier in Firminy entitled "Chubac recent works" and at the Galerie Royal Luxembourg in Nice.
- 1971: Exhibition at the Galerie Germain in Paris and at the Fernand Léger School in Malakoff.
- 1972: Exhibition on the village square of Aspremont, at the Galerie Royal Luxembourg in Nice.
- 1973: Exhibition at the Galerie Ferrero in Nice.
- 1974: Exhibition at Art-club in Antibes.
- 1975: Exhibition at the Galerie Jacques Boudin rue de Dijon in Nice.
- 1978: Exhibition at the Galerie Anne Roger in Nice.
- 1980: Exhibition at the Galerie de la Salle in Saint-Paul de Vence from August 8 to September 9.
- 1981: Exhibition at Lieu 5 in Nice from February 13 to March 20.
- 1983: Exhibition at the Galerie d'Art Contemporain in Nice, at Anne Roger.
- 1984: Exhibition "Lille Nice" at the Galerie GodArt in Lille from April 14 to May 17 and at the Galerie Luisella d´Alessandro in Turin.
- 1985: Exhibition in Thonon les Bains at the Galerie Galise.
- 1988: Exhibitions at Galerie Argéco in Nice and Galerie Triade in Barbizon
- 1989: Exhibitions at the Galerie de la Salle, at Lola Gassin's in Nice, in galleries in Nice
- 1990: he made four mobiles for the MAMAC in Nice, Exhibitions at the Galerie François Moulin in Lyon and Golden Gallery, ArtJunction in Nice.
- 1991: Exhibition at the Galerie de la Salle in Saint-Paul.
- 1992: Exhibitions at the Espace du consulat suisse in Nice, Besançon and opening of the Espace Chubac in Tourrette-Levens.
- 1993: Exhibition at the Maison Comoni in Revest-les-Eaux, at the Galerie François Moulin in Lyon.
- 1994: Exhibition at the Espace Caravadossi in Aspremont.
- 1996: Exhibition at the Espace Dellile in Nice.
- 1997: Exhibition at the Galerie de la Salle in Saint-Paul.
- 1998: Last personal exhibition at the Galerie de la Salle in Saint-Paul.
- 2000: Exhibition at Lympia college in Nice.
- 2001: Exhibition at the Espace Chubac in Tourette-Levens.
- 2002: Exhibition at the Galerie Scholtès in Nice and in Carcès in the Var entitled "Albert Chubac-Couleurs mobiles".
- 2004: Great Albert Chubac retrospective at MAMAC in Nice.
- 2011: Permanent exhibition at the Galerie Harter in Nice.
- 2012: Exhibition at the Olympia Show in London at the Christopher Jones Gallery and at the Serge Castella Interiors Gallery in Bascara, Spain.
- 2013: Exhibition at the Municipal Contemporary Art Gallery of Pochettes in Nice.
- 2019/2021: Exhibition of works belonging to the permanent collection of MAMAC in Nice and exhibition "Geometry according to Albert Chubac" at the Galerie Harter in Nice.
- 2021/2021: Permanent exhibition at Galerie Atelier 55.
- 1957: Exhibition at the Longchamp gallery in Nice entitled "Painters of 20 years".
- 1958: “Scurvy” exhibition at Laboratory 32 in Nice.
- 1961: Exhibition at the Rath Museum in Geneva and at the L’oeiloute gallery in Lyon.
- 1965: Exhibition at the Galerie Argo in Nice, at the Galerie Verrières in Cannes, and at the Galerie René Laporte in Antibes.
- 1965: Exhibition "Light and Movement" at the Kunsthalle in Bern.
- 1966: "Impact I" exhibition at the Museum of Modern Art in the City of Céret, at Galerie A in Nice, at the Maison de la Culture in Nice and at the Festival of Plastic Arts of the Côte d´Azur.
- 1966: Participation in the XXXIII Venice Biennale at the Galeria de Leone.
- 1966: Exhibition at the Galerie L’oeiloute in Lyon
- 1967 (March 18 to April 18): Exhibition at the Galerie Alexandre de la Salle
- 1968: Exhibitions at the Galerie Salmon in Nice, the Galerie Schwartz in Milan, the Musée de l'Athénée in Geneva, the Salon d'Automne in Lyon, the Salle de la Marine in Nice and the Galerie Bonnier in Lausanne .
- 1969: Exhibition "Environs" in Tours, exhibition at the Salon de Mai in Paris, exhibition "Sigma V, Recherche et Province" at the Galerie des Beaux Arts in Bordeaux.
- 1970: Menton Biennale from July 3 to September 15 at the Palais de l'Europe, "INterVENTION 70" at the Galerie Alexandre de la Salle in Vence from March 27 to April 12 and in Montpellier at the Palais de l'Europe.
- 1971: Exhibitions at the Galerie des Quatre Mouvements in Paris, at the Musée Galliéra in Paris, at the Galerie Denise René in Paris, and at the Galerie Lacloche in Paris.
- 1972: Exhibitions at the Galerie Lucien Durand in Paris and at the Museum of Art and Industry of Saint Etienne, in Montmirail and "Le Jardin d'Exposition" in the house of Henri Baviéra in Saint-Paul de Vence, in the Nerolium Gallery in Vallauris, retrospective “School of Nice 1953-1973” organized at Studio Ferrero.
- 1973: Exhibitions at Galerie Defacqz in Brussels, Galerie Germain in Paris, Place 5 in Nice.
- 1974: Exhibitions at the Galerie Alexandre de la Salle in Saint-Paul de Vence entitled "Ten artists from the School of Nice", at the Galerie Art-Contacts in Paris, at the Galerie Lanzenberg in Brussels.
- 1976: The museums and foundations of the Côte d´Azur show their "Ecole de Nice" collections in Japan in Tokyo, the Beaubourg Gallery inaugurates its premises with an exhibition on the "New Realists" from October 6 to November 13.
- 1977: Exhibition at the Galerie Anne Roger in Nice and "About Nice" at the National Museum of Modern Art, Center Georges Pompidou in Paris.
- 1978: Exhibition at the Gal / Athée associative gallery in Nice from February 17 to March 17.
- 1979: "Sculpture" exhibitions at the CARI in Nice in October and November, at the Galerie de la Salle, at the FIAC in Paris, at the Galerie Anne Roger and at the New York Fair.
- 1980: Participation in "Nice-Berlin" at the DAAD Galerie in Berlin.
- 1981: Group exhibition at the Galerie de la Salle in Saint-Paul de Vence from December 19 to January 31.
- 1983: Exhibitions in the stations of the Côte d´Azur.
- 1986: Exhibition at Thonon les Bains and at the University of Toulon.
- 1987: Exhibition "School of Nice… 20 years after" at the Galerie de la Salle in Saint-Paul de Vence
- 1988: Exhibition "Geometric abstraction" at the Galerie de la Salle and "Shopping Art International" in Nice.
- 1989: Exhibition at the Salon Art Jonction in Nice, at the Castel des Arts in Vallauris.
- 1991: “Wall and spatial structures” exhibition at the Sicard-Iperti Foundation in Vallauris, at the Golden Gallery in Nice and at the Salon des Découvertes in Paris.
- 1992: Exhibitions "Geometric abstraction" at the Galerie de la Salle, "Large sculptures" in Beaulieu-sur-Mer, "Plastic in contemporary art" in Oyonnax.
- 1993: Exhibition "Ten artists from the School of Nice" at the Museum of the City of Belfort and in Montrouge entitled "A certain idea of the Mediterranean-Nice".
- 1994: Exhibition "Large Sculptures" in Beaulieu-sur-Mer.
- 1995: Exhibition of the School of Nice entitled "Retrospective in Japan" at the Meguro Museum in Tokyo which will then be transferred to the Buzan Museum in South Korea.
- 1996: “Chimérique Polymères” exhibition at MAMAC in Nice.
- 1997: Participation in the Salon Art Jonction in Nice, exhibition at Gallery 0 in Besançon.
- 1998: Exhibition at the Galerie du Parc in Annemasse and at the Galerie 1'Artcluse in Geneva
- 1999: Exhibition of the Ecole de Nice at the Galerie de la Salle in Saint-Paul before it closed.
- 2010: Exhibition "50 years of the School of Nice" at the Retif Museum in Vence
- 2010: Permanent exhibition at the Harter Galerie in Nice
- 2013: Exhibitions at the XXL ART Gallery in Brussels from January 24 to March 16 and at the Ginac Gallery in Nîmes.