- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Century Furniture Company Ray Sabota Designed Illuminated Alcove Queen Size Bed
- DimensionsHeight: 82 in. (208.28 cm)Width: 67 in. (170.18 cm)Depth: 87 in. (220.98 cm)
- StyleMid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacture1970s
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use.
- Seller LocationWest Hartford, CT
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU3072321660942
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRates vary by destination and complexity.Ships From: West Hartford, CT
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
About Century Furniture (Manufacturer)
Known for its many durable display cabinets, nightstands and dressers made of cherry, oak, walnut and more, Century Furniture of Hickory, North Carolina, began as an upholstered goods company in 1947 but added case goods and sophisticated mahogany dining-room furnishings shortly thereafter.
Launched by Harley Ferguson Shuford Sr., a Hickory native who was born to a family of textile mill owners, Century Furniture was intended to be “the best furniture company in the world.” With respect to speed and efficiency, the brand found its footing midway through production on a government contract that Shuford had secured in the early days to manufacture thousands of five-drawer chests. The effort was significant, but it was also a teachable moment as far as Shuford and his team’s learning the ropes of running a factory.
After hiring designer Raymond K. Sobota in 1950 and introducing the enormously popular Citation Collection in 1954, Century established its reputation as a leader in stylishly designed high-quality furniture. Sobota had furniture in his blood — after graduating from Kendall College of Art & Design in Grand Rapids, Michigan, he worked for his uncle Karl Schmidt, who was at the time a well-known furniture designer for Berkey and Gay and other makers in the Grand Rapids area, then known as America’s furniture capital. Sobota soon launched his own studio, designing furniture as a freelancer for various local manufacturers. Shuford found him by happenstance, journeying to Michigan’s second-largest city to offer a job to another designer who turned him down but recommended Sobota instead.
Century’s Citation line — a sizable collection for the brand that spanned furnishings for the bedroom, dining room and more — is revered in the world of mid-century modern furniture collectors. The pieces sold very well during the 1950s, and the line is an oft-cited success story for Sobota, who would go on to win awards for his work and whose own catalogue of designs for the brand is massive.
In his 40-year career at Century, until he retired in 1995, he designed well over 100 furniture lines. Sobota’s nightstands, cabinets, side tables and more are characterized by his interest in Asian design, distinctly and brilliantly expressed in his Hollywood Regency–style Chin Hua line, which debuted during the 1970s. With its geometrically decorative brass drawer pulls and door handles as well as dining-chair seat-back carvings — all inspired by Asian motifs — this collection has rendered vintage pieces that saw Century’s craftsmen working with alluring ebonized walnut and more, some of the company’s most sought-after work today.
Also in the 1970s as well as in the 1980s, Manhattan interior designer Jay Spectre introduced an Art Deco–informed spirit at Century Furniture, creating oversize, inviting lounge chairs and bentwood benches that featured plush tufted leather cushions. Spectre’s Eclipse collection was at one point among the largest-selling lines for the brand.
Century licensed collections with celebrity interior designers such as Thomas O’Brien, Charlotte Moss and Bunny Williams among others. In 2013, when Alex Shuford III was named president of Century Furniture, the move marked the succession of the third generation to lead this company, which is today one of the world’s largest privately held manufacturers of high-end furniture.
Find Hollywood Regency–style lounge and dining chairs as well as vintage mid-century modern wardrobe credenzas, dressers and more from Century Furniture on 1stDibs.
Focusing on mid-century, traditional and chinoiserie styles, Revival Home presents a curated selection of high-end and highly collectible furniture, lighting, rugs, art and objects from around the world in its 10,000-square-foot West Hartford, Connecticut, showroom as well as its branches in Newton, Massachusetts; Lancaster, Pennsylvan...
- By Raymond K. Sobota, Century FurnitureLocated in West Hartford, CTCoveted and rare Ray Sabota designed Asian inspired pagoda queen size bed manufactured by Century Furniture, No...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Beds and Bed FramesMaterials
- By Raymond K. Sobota, Century FurnitureLocated in West Hartford, CTA gorgeous matching pair of nightstands by Ray Sabota for Century Furniture Company, circa 1970s. Brass hardware...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Night StandsMaterials
- By Raymond K. Sobota, Century FurnitureLocated in West Hartford, CTA gorgeous three piece matching set with a chest of drawers and two matching nightstands by Ray Sabota for Centu...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Night StandsMaterials
- By Raymond K. Sobota, Century FurnitureLocated in West Hartford, CTAn elegant mens wardrobe dresser cabinet by Ray Sabota for Century Furniture Company in cerused oak, circa 1970s...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Wardrobes and ArmoiresMaterials
- By Raymond K. Sobota, Century FurnitureLocated in West Hartford, CTA gorgeous chest of drawers by Ray Sabota for Century Furniture Company, circa 1970s. Brass hardware and lovely ...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern DressersMaterials
- Located in West Hartford, CTMagnificent vintage carved king headboard from Bali, circa late 19th century that was acquired by our client vi...Category
Mid-20th Century Balinese Neoclassical Revival Beds and Bed FramesMaterials
You May Also Like
Vintage 1970s American Hollywood Regency Night Stands
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern End Tables
Late 20th Century American Empire Beds and Bed Frames
Late 20th Century American Neoclassical Beds and Bed Frames
21st Century and Contemporary French Mid-Century Modern Beds and Bed Frames
Antique Early 19th Century French Empire Beds and Bed Frames
21st Century and Contemporary European French Provincial Beds and Bed Fr...
Vintage 1960s Mid-Century Modern Beds and Bed Frames