CENTURY Chin Hua by Raymond Sobota Asian Chinoiserie Bedside Chest
About the Item
- Dimensions:Height: 23.25 in (59.06 cm)Width: 32 in (81.28 cm)Depth: 16 in (40.64 cm)
- Style:Chinoiserie (In the Style Of)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:1970-1999
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. Very good condition with signs of previous use. Minor blemishes to top. Drawers function properly. Structurally sound and sturdy. Condition Rating: 8.5/ 10.0.
- Seller Location:Charlotte, NC
- Reference Number:Seller: 230719AC00001221stDibs: LU6025235433892
Known for its durable vintage display cabinets, nightstands and dressers made of cherry, oak, walnut and more, Century Furniture of Hickory, North Carolina, began as an upholstered goods company in 1947 but added case goods and sophisticated mahogany dining-room furnishings shortly thereafter.
Launched by Harley Ferguson Shuford Sr., a Hickory native who was born to a family of textile mill owners, Century Furniture was intended to be “the best furniture company in the world.” With respect to speed and efficiency, the brand found its footing midway through production on a government contract that Shuford had secured in the early days to manufacture thousands of five-drawer chests. The effort was significant, but it was also a teachable moment as far as Shuford and his team’s learning the ropes of running a factory.
After hiring designer Raymond K. Sobota in 1950 and introducing the enormously popular Citation Collection in 1954, Century established its reputation as a leader in stylishly designed high-quality furniture. Sobota had furniture in his blood — after graduating from Kendall College of Art & Design in Grand Rapids, Michigan, he worked for his uncle Karl Schmidt, who was at the time a well-known furniture designer for Berkey and Gay and other makers in the Grand Rapids area, then known as America’s furniture capital. Sobota soon launched his own studio, designing furniture as a freelancer for various local manufacturers. Shuford found him by happenstance, journeying to Michigan’s second-largest city to offer a job to another designer who turned him down but recommended Sobota instead.
Century’s Citation line — a sizable collection for the brand that spanned furnishings for the bedroom, dining room and more — is revered in the world of vintage mid-century modern furniture collectors. The pieces sold very well during the 1950s, and the line is an oft-cited success story for Sobota, who would go on to win awards for his work and whose own catalogue of designs for the brand is massive.
In his 40-year career at Century, until he retired in 1995, he designed well over 100 furniture lines. Sobota’s nightstands, cabinets, side tables and more are characterized by his interest in Asian design, distinctly and brilliantly expressed in his Hollywood Regency–style Chin Hua line, which debuted during the 1970s. With its geometrically decorative brass drawer pulls and door handles as well as dining-chair seat-back carvings — all inspired by Asian motifs — this collection has rendered vintage pieces that saw Century’s craftsmen working with alluring ebonized walnut and more, some of the company’s most sought-after work today.
Also in the 1970s as well as in the 1980s, Manhattan interior designer Jay Spectre introduced an Art Deco–informed spirit at Century Furniture, creating oversize, inviting lounge chairs and bentwood benches that featured plush tufted leather cushions. Spectre’s Eclipse collection was at one point among the largest-selling lines for the brand.
Century licensed collections with celebrity interior designers such as Thomas O’Brien, Charlotte Moss and Bunny Williams among others. In 2013, when Alex Shuford III was named president of Century Furniture, the move marked the succession of the third generation to lead this company, which is today one of the world’s largest privately held manufacturers of high-end furniture.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Charlotte, NC
- Return PolicyA return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
- CENTURY Chin Hua by Raymond Sobota Asian Chinoiserie King Size Headboard - BBy Raymond Sabota, Century FurnitureLocated in Charlotte, NCAn Asian influenced king size headboard by top-quality furniture maker Century Furniture, from their "Chin Hua" line designed by Raymond K Sobota. Burl maple dual center panels frame...Category
Late 20th Century American Chinoiserie Beds and Bed FramesMaterials
- CENTURY Chin Hua Raymond Sobota Asian Chinoiserie Gentleman's Chest - BBy Raymond Sabota, Century FurnitureLocated in Charlotte, NCAn Asian Style gentleman's chest by top-quality furniture maker Century Furniture, from their "Chin Hua" line designed by Raymond K Sobota. Burl maple, brass hardware, banded top wit...Category
Late 20th Century American Chinoiserie Commodes and Chests of DrawersMaterials
- CENTURY Chin Hua by Raymond Sobota Asian Chinoiserie Triple DresserBy Raymond Sabota, Century FurnitureLocated in Charlotte, NCAn Asian Style triple dresser by top-quality furniture maker Century Furniture, from their "Chin Hua" line designed by Raymond K Sobota. Burl maple, brass hardware, banded top with o...Category
Late 20th Century American Chinoiserie DressersMaterials
- CENTURY Chin Hua by Raymond Sobota Asian Chinoiserie Round Side TableBy Raymond Sabota, Century FurnitureLocated in Charlotte, NCAn Asian style round side table by high-quality furniture maker Century, from their Chin Hua" line designed by Raymond K Sobota. Burl maple hardwood, inlaid banded top with ogee edge...Category
Late 20th Century American Chinoiserie Side TablesMaterials
- CENTURY Chin Hua by Raymond Sobota Asian Chinoiserie End Side TableBy Raymond Sabota, Century FurnitureLocated in Charlotte, NCAn Asian style side table by high-quality furniture maker Century, from their Chin Hua" line designed by Raymond K Sobota. Burl maple hardwood with brass hardware, inlaid banded top ...Category
Late 20th Century American Chinoiserie Side TablesMaterials
- CENTURY Chin Hua by Raymond Sobota Asian Chinoiserie Dual China Display CabinetBy Raymond Sabota, Century FurnitureLocated in Charlotte, NCAn Asian style dual china display cabinet by high-quality furniture maker Century Furniture, from their "Chin Hua" line designed by Raymond K Sobota. Maple hardwood with burl maple veneers, black lacquer and brass hardware. Dual lighted upper cabinets with three adjustable plate grooved glass shelves in each (6), dual beveled glass pane doors...Category
Late 20th Century American Chinoiserie CabinetsMaterials
- 93" Black Lacquered Chin Hua Headboard by Century FurnitureBy Century FurnitureLocated in Pasadena, TXBlack lacquered chin hua headboard by Century Furniture. Carved details on corners of headboard. Would look fantastic with drapery behind or a scree...Category
Vintage 1970s American Chinoiserie Beds and Bed FramesMaterials
- Pair of Ebonized Chin Hua Mid-Century Nightstands by CenturyBy Century FurnitureLocated in Pasadena, TXA pair of Asian inspired nightstands by Century Furniture. Ebonized with brass pulls on drawer at bottom. Ample open area above for...Category
Vintage 1960s American Chinoiserie Night StandsMaterials
- Pair of Century Furniture Chin Hua NightstandsBy Century FurnitureLocated in Pasadena, TXPair of Century Furniture Chin Hua nightstands Pair of Century Furniture Chin Hua nightstands Pair of Chin Hua nightstands by Century Furnit...Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern Night StandsMaterials
- Rare 1986 Raymond K Sabota for Century Furniture Queen size Wall UnitBy Raymond Sabota, Century FurnitureLocated in Waxahachie, TXSUPER RARE Raymond K Sabota queen bedroom set. Classic two tone black lacquer and Burlwood. Beautiful Chin Hua brass hardware. **Headboard with st...Category
Vintage 1980s American Chinoiserie Bedroom SetsMaterials
Wood, Burl, Lacquer
- Henredon Mid-Century Hollywood Regency Chinoiserie Mahogany Bedside Chests, PairBy HenredonLocated in South Bend, INA gorgeous pair of mid-century modern Hollywood Regency Chinoiserie nightstands or bedside chests By Henredon USA, Circa 1970s Mahogany, with original Asian-inspired brass hardwar...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Night StandsMaterials
- Century Furniture White Lacquered Bombe Form Bedside Chests, Newly RefinishedBy Century FurnitureLocated in South Bend, INAn exceptional pair of Italian Provincial style bombe chests or nightstands By Century Furniture USA, Late 20th Century White lacquered ...Category
Late 20th Century American French Provincial Night StandsMaterials