Items Similar to 1950s White, Brown & Blue Wool Tibetan Dragon Runner/Rug View More
1950s White, Brown & Blue Wool Tibetan Dragon Runner/Rug
A vintage Tibetan runner from the middle of the 20th century with a 4 brown dragons floating on a white ground. Measures: 2'1" x 8'7" Tibetan rug making is an ancient, traditional craft. Tibetan rugs are traditionally made from Tibetan highland sheep's wool, called changpel. Tibetans use rugs for many purposes ranging from flooring to wall hanging to horse saddles, though the most common use is as a seating carpet. The knotting method used in Tibetan rug making is different from that used in other rug making traditions worldwide. Some aspects of the rug making have been supplanted by cheaper machines in recent times, especially yarn spinning and trimming of the pile after weaving. However, some carpets are still made by hand. The Tibetan diaspora in India and Nepal have established a thriving business in rug making. In Nepal the rug business is one of the largest industries in the country and there are many rug exporters. Tibet also has weaving workshops, but the export side of the industry is relatively undeveloped compared with Nepal and India.
- In the Style Of
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacture20th Century
- Materials and TechniquesHand-KnottedWool
- DimensionsW 25 in. x D 103 in.W 63.5 cm x D 261.62 cm
- Seller LocationNew York, NY
- Seller Reference Numberj1751 J & D Oriental Rug Co.
- Reference NumberLU908717784802
Buyer Protection Guaranteed
Our Promise To You: If you're not happy with the way an item arrived, we'll work with you and the seller to reach an optimal resolution. Read more
Shipping, Returns & Payment
- ShippingFree ShippingStandardto anywhere in the world, arrives in 4-22 days.Delivered by a parcel delivery service such as UPS, FedEx, or DHL.Shipping methods are determined by item size, type, fragility and specific characteristics.Shipping costs are calculated based on carrier rates, delivery distance and packing complexity.
- Return Policy
This item can be returned within 3 days of delivery.View details
- Online Payment Methods1stdibs accepts the following payment methods
- Item InvoiceGenerate an invoice that you can customize and print.
About the Seller
5 / 5
1stdibs seller since 2011
Typical response time: <1 hour
Located in New York, NY
More From This Seller
Tibetan Fragment Runner
20th Century Chinese Chinese Export Central Asian Rugs
Navy Blue Rooster Tibetan Pictorial Rug
Early 20th Century Tibetan Chinese Export Central Asian Rugs
You May Also Like
Contemporary Tibetan Warm Brown, Sandy Beige, P...
21st Century and Contemporary Nepalese Tibetan Central Asian Rugs
$390 Sale Price
Fine Vintage Tibetan Rug, Hand Knotted, circa 1...
Vintage 1950s Tibetan Tibetan Central Asian Rugs
Contemporary Samarkand Blue & Light Brown Wool Rug
21st Century and Contemporary Uzbek Khotan Central Asian Rugs
Antique Ivory Blue Peking Chinese Runner Rug
Antique Early 1900s Chinese Chinese Export Chinese and East Asian Rugs
21st Century Modern Tibetan Rug Wool Hand Knott...
2010s Nepalese Central Asian Rugs
Tibetan Wool and Silk Rug Custom made up Green ...
21st Century and Contemporary Nepalese Agra Chinese and East Asian Rugs
$2,475 Sale Price
Fine Tibetan Rug, Hand Knotted, Wool and Silk
Vintage 1970s Tibetan Tibetan Chinese and East Asian Rugs