- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Distressed Painted French Louis XV Style Bergere Marquis Chair
- CreatorCentury Furniture (Manufacturer)
- DimensionsHeight: 36.25 in (92.08 cm)Width: 34.5 in (87.63 cm)Depth: 32 in (81.28 cm)
- StyleCountry (In the Style Of)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacture20th Century
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use.
- Seller LocationSwedesboro, NJ
- Reference NumberSeller: VMD27201stDibs: LU2091310032461
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Swedesboro, NJ
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 2 days of delivery.
About the Manufacturer
Known for its durable vintage display cabinets, nightstands and dressers made of cherry, oak, walnut and more, Century Furniture of Hickory, North Carolina, began as an upholstered goods company in 1947 but added case goods and sophisticated mahogany dining-room furnishings shortly thereafter.
Launched by Harley Ferguson Shuford Sr., a Hickory native who was born to a family of textile mill owners, Century Furniture was intended to be “the best furniture company in the world.” With respect to speed and efficiency, the brand found its footing midway through production on a government contract that Shuford had secured in the early days to manufacture thousands of five-drawer chests. The effort was significant, but it was also a teachable moment as far as Shuford and his team’s learning the ropes of running a factory.
After hiring designer Raymond K. Sobota in 1950 and introducing the enormously popular Citation Collection in 1954, Century established its reputation as a leader in stylishly designed high-quality furniture. Sobota had furniture in his blood — after graduating from Kendall College of Art & Design in Grand Rapids, Michigan, he worked for his uncle Karl Schmidt, who was at the time a well-known furniture designer for Berkey and Gay and other makers in the Grand Rapids area, then known as America’s furniture capital. Sobota soon launched his own studio, designing furniture as a freelancer for various local manufacturers. Shuford found him by happenstance, journeying to Michigan’s second-largest city to offer a job to another designer who turned him down but recommended Sobota instead.
Century’s Citation line — a sizable collection for the brand that spanned furnishings for the bedroom, dining room and more — is revered in the world of vintage mid-century modern furniture collectors. The pieces sold very well during the 1950s, and the line is an oft-cited success story for Sobota, who would go on to win awards for his work and whose own catalogue of designs for the brand is massive.
In his 40-year career at Century, until he retired in 1995, he designed well over 100 furniture lines. Sobota’s nightstands, cabinets, side tables and more are characterized by his interest in Asian design, distinctly and brilliantly expressed in his Hollywood Regency–style Chin Hua line, which debuted during the 1970s. With its geometrically decorative brass drawer pulls and door handles as well as dining-chair seat-back carvings — all inspired by Asian motifs — this collection has rendered vintage pieces that saw Century’s craftsmen working with alluring ebonized walnut and more, some of the company’s most sought-after work today.
Also in the 1970s as well as in the 1980s, Manhattan interior designer Jay Spectre introduced an Art Deco–informed spirit at Century Furniture, creating oversize, inviting lounge chairs and bentwood benches that featured plush tufted leather cushions. Spectre’s Eclipse collection was at one point among the largest-selling lines for the brand.
Century licensed collections with celebrity interior designers such as Thomas O’Brien, Charlotte Moss and Bunny Williams among others. In 2013, when Alex Shuford III was named president of Century Furniture, the move marked the succession of the third generation to lead this company, which is today one of the world’s largest privately held manufacturers of high-end furniture.
- Superb French Painted Decorated Time-Worn Distressed Louis XV Bergere ChairLocated in Swedesboro, NJThis is a superb white painted with a time-worn distressed finish that reveals the beautiful walnut through the original white paint. The color-keyed upholstery is beautiful and in g...Category
Vintage 1930s French Louis XV Bergere ChairsMaterials
- Fine Pair Carved Walnut French Louis XV Style Bergere Chairs Marquis Circa 1960sLocated in Swedesboro, NJThis is a stunning and rare size of bergere chairs in very good condition. The carving is very well done and the frames are tight and strong. The upholstery is a a red petite-quilted...Category
Vintage 1960s European Louis XV Bergere ChairsMaterials
- Pair of Distressed Painted French Louis XV Open Arm Bergère Fauteuil ChairsLocated in Swedesboro, NJThese gorgeous French style chairs have that antique chipping white paint to replicate a truly old chair, but these were made in the 1990s and are in excellent condition. The chairs ...Category
1990s American Louis XV Bergere ChairsMaterials
Beech$1,160 Sale Price / set20% Off
- Pair of French Louis XVI Style Distressed Painted Bergere Parlor ChairsLocated in Swedesboro, NJFinely carved frames. Distress painted.Category
20th Century Bergere ChairsMaterials
Fruitwood$1,276 Sale Price / set20% Off
- Pair of French Louis XV Style Green Painted Bergere Chairs, Circa 1950sLocated in Swedesboro, NJThis is a gorgeous pair of French Louis XV bergeres with their original panited surfaces and upholstery. The chairs are in good condition and measure 38 tall x 27 wide x 29 deep deep...Category
Vintage 1950s American Louis XV Bergere ChairsMaterials
Walnut$1,160 Sale Price / set59% Off
- Fine Carved French Louis XV Paint Decorated Louis XV Bergere Chair Circa 1920Located in Swedesboro, NJThis is a beautiful time-worn paint decorated bergere. The chair is in very good antique condition. The chair measures 41 tall x 32 wide x 31 deep x 17 seat height.Category
Vintage 1920s French Louis XV Bergere ChairsMaterials
Walnut$1,192 Sale Price20% Off
- French Louis XV-Style BergèreLocated in Los Angeles, CAExquisite, 1920s French painted bergère in the Louis XV style. The chair features delicately carved details, a fresh coat of “greige” paint with a light coat of hand applied antiqu...Category
Vintage 1920s French Louis XV Bergere ChairsMaterials
Linen, Walnut, Paint
- Louis XV Painted BergereLocated in Essex, MANice whimsical form with fabric in good condition but a few stains. Rounded back and loose cushion seat. Raised on cabriole legs.Category
Antique 1760s French Louis XV Bergere ChairsMaterials
- 19th Century Louis XV Style Painted French BergèreLocated in Charleston, SC19th century French very wide and rare Bergère, Louis XV style in worn gold gilt with coved back which sweep without a break in to the armrests. Richly carved back and seat rails on ...Category
Antique 19th Century French Bergere ChairsMaterials
Linen, Giltwood, Paint
- Pair of French 19th Century Louis XV Style Giltwood Marquises Bergère ArmchairsLocated in Los Angeles, CAA very Fine pair of french 19th century Louis XV style giltwood carved marquises bergère armchairs. The ornately carved gilded frames with floral and acanthus motifs with rounded edg...Category
Antique Late 19th Century French Louis XV Bergere ChairsMaterials
- Pair of Louis XV Style Painted BergeresLocated in Laguna Beach, CAPair of painted Louis XV style bergeres, circa 1930-1950.Category
Vintage 1950s European Louis XV Bergere ChairsMaterials
Upholstery, Wood, Paint
- Pair of Caned French Louis XVI Style White Distress Painted Bergere Salon ChairsLocated in Philadelphia, PAPair of caned French Louis XVI style white distress painted Bergere salon chairs. Items feature cane backs, white painted distressed finish, loose cushions, solid wood construction, ...Category
Mid-20th Century Louis XVI Bergere ChairsMaterials