- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Black Leather Postmodern, Modern, Roche Bobois Sofa Set, Living Room Set
- CreatorRoche Bobois (Manufacturer)
- DimensionsHeight: 29.93 in. (76 cm)Width: 91.34 in. (232 cm)Depth: 41.34 in. (105 cm)Seat Height: 14.97 in. (38 cm)
- Sold AsSet of 3
- StylePost-Modern (In the Style Of)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacturecirca 1980s
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use.
- Seller LocationSchagen, NL
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU1807313898581
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRates vary by destination and complexity. We recommend this shipping type based on item size, type and fragility.Customs Duties & Taxes May Apply.Ships From: Noord Scharwoude, Netherlands
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
About Roche Bobois (Manufacturer)
The Roche Bobois story has origins in 1950, when entrepreneur Jacques Roche converted an old Paris theater into two contemporary furniture boutiques so that his sons could help usher stunning Bauhaus-inspired work out of the shops and into French homes nearby. At another showroom called Au Beau Bois, also in the French capital city, the Chouchan family was simultaneously selling home furnishings. The families met later, when Philippe and François Roche convened with Patrick and Jean-Claude Chouchan at a furniture exhibition in Copenhagen in 1960 and afterward produced a catalog announcing their partnership.
Minimal and modernist Scandinavian design had gained prominence in the furniture industry by 1960, rendering designers such as Kaare Klint and Poul Henningsen marquee names — and Roche Bobois's principals had taken notice. Following a national advertising campaign in Elle magazine a year later, the Scandinavian furniture that the newly minted Roche Bobois was importing to Paris became a huge success. Early promotional material from the firm likely included the sleek modular wall units crafted in rosewood by Danish furniture maker Poul Cadovius. It didn’t take long for Roche Bobois to shift toward producing its own contemporary furniture line.
When the popularity of cable television took hold in more major American cities during the 1970s, sofas and other seating became integral to contemporary living-room decor. Roche Bobois’s newly launched Les Contemporains series positioned its own sofas front and center, while also offering pieces like the chic Bambole two-seater — boasting soft duvet cushion covers — designed by Mario Bellini for B&B Italia. Bold works from the company during the decade included Marc Berthier’s Pop Art–colored tubular metal desks and chairs — the latter covered with braided fabric — as well as one of Roche Bobois’s most enduring and well-known pieces, the Mah Jong sectional sofa created by sculptor, painter and designer Hans Hopfer. Anchored by few central elements, this modular lounge sofa can be combined or stacked, giving the buyer total freedom over its appearance and the ability to maximize comfort.
In 1974, Roche Bobois opened its first showroom in the United States on Madison Avenue in New York City. The brand is now in 50 countries with more than 200 stores.
Since its inception, Roche Bobois has worked with many internationally renowned architects and designers on its collections, among them Paola Navone and Vladimir Kagan. Even fashion designers such as Missoni and Emanuel Ungaro have made contributions to the company’s lineup.
In 2010, Roche Bobois marked its 50-year anniversary by debuting a partnership with French fashion designer Jean Paul Gaultier. A decade later, Roche Bobois teamed up with Portuguese artist Joana Vasconcelos, who designed a collection of organically shaped sofas as well as vibrant, colorful accent pillows and rugs.
Roche Bobois’s offerings over the years have included everything from celebrated mid-century modern armchairs to Art Deco case pieces to sculptural outdoor cocktail tables framed in metal wire — shop these classics now at 1stDibs.
- By Roche BoboisLocated in Schagen, NLNicely decorated with a bamboo pattern and black lacquered base. Very luxurious look. This lamp consists of wood...Category
Vintage 1960s French Hollywood Regency Table LampsMaterials
Brass$1,214 Sale Price20% Off
- Located in Schagen, NLLarge and rare sculptural piece from the 1980s,-1990s which can be easily turned into an 'island' or so called p...Category
Late 20th Century German Post-Modern Living Room SetsMaterials
- By Gerd Lange, De SedeLocated in Schagen, NLThis absolute stunning set was designed by Gerd Lange for De Sede Switzerland, circa 1985. It consists of a two-...Category
Vintage 1980s Swiss Mid-Century Modern Living Room SetsMaterials
Metal$7,657 Sale Price / set20% Off
- By Walter KnollLocated in Schagen, NLThis wonderful set consists of a two seat sofa, an armchair and a coffee table and was manufactured in Germany d...Category
Vintage 1970s German Mid-Century Modern Living Room SetsMaterials
- Located in Schagen, NLThis three-piece living room or sofa set, consists of a three-seat sofa and two wingback armchairs. The set feat...Category
Mid-20th Century French Baroque Living Room SetsMaterials
Metal$6,077 Sale Price / set25% Off
- By Hugo de Ruiter, De SedeLocated in Schagen, NLThis modular sofa system was designed by Hugo de Ruiter for Swiss manufacturer De Sede and was launched in 2008....Category
21st Century and Contemporary Swiss Modern Living Room SetsMaterials
Metal$22,850 Sale Price20% Off
You May Also Like
Late 20th Century Italian Post-Modern Living Room Sets
Late 20th Century Italian Mid-Century Modern Living Room Sets
Late 20th Century European Post-Modern Sofas
Vintage 1960s Danish Mid-Century Modern Living Room Sets
Fabric, Rosewood, Upholstery
Late 20th Century Mid-Century Modern Living Room Sets
Vintage 1970s French Post-Modern Sofas
Vintage 1980s Italian Post-Modern Sofas
20th Century French Space Age Sofas
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Insured Global Delivery