- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Maitland-Smith Mid-Century Muti Drawer Tooled Leather Chest
- CreatorMaitland Smith (Cabinetmaker)
- DimensionsHeight: 42.5 in. (107.95 cm)Width: 36 in. (91.44 cm)Depth: 14 in. (35.56 cm)
- StyleMid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacture1970
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use.
- Seller LocationPalm Beach, FL
- Reference NumberSeller: 60191stDibs: LU860327800572
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingShips From: Palm Beach, FL
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
About the Cabinetmaker
The eclectic furnishings of Maitland-Smith celebrate artisan skills in an age of machines. Hand-carved woodwork, inlaid marquetry, painted detailing, gilding and lost wax casting lend the company’s decorative accents an artistic flair. Focused on pieces that add a dynamic flourish to an interior by incorporating tactile materials like leather, seashell inlays and crushed eggshell, the manufacturer draws inspiration across centuries, from the curvy forms of the Louis XV period to the geometric angles of mid-century modernism.
Paul Maitland-Smith established the company in Hong Kong in 1979, after getting his start in London in the 1950s as an antique dealer who also sold reproduction furniture, something that would become a Maitland-Smith specialty. The manufacturer’s early reproductions of 17th- and 18th-century furniture included Chippendale dining chairs, and soon afterward, Maitland-Smith expanded into a range of decorative designs that often exuded a whimsical spirit, whether a coffee table shaped like a stack of books or a pair of decorative obelisks. Maitland-Smith’s signature sculptural table lamps in particular show off this playful sensibility, with one balancing a pen-shell shade on a monkey’s tail and another taking on the form of a miniature hot-air balloon.
Since its founding, Maitland-Smith’s sourcing has been based in Asia, and although Paul Maitland-Smith later sold the company that still bears his name and is now headquartered in North Carolina, the brand’s furnishings are still largely made in Cebu, Philippines.
Today, Maitland-Smith continues to innovate on its finely crafted offerings by collaborating with contemporary designers and studios such as Tony Duquette Studios (founded by set and costume designer Tony Duquette in 1941), Celerie Kemble and painter and textile designer Susan Hable Smith.
Find a wide range of Maitland-Smith furniture for sale on 1stDibs.
- Pair of Mid Century Maitland Smith Coconut Shell Chests of DrawersBy Maitland SmithLocated in Palm Beach, FLImpressive pair of three drawer chests clad in polished coconut shell mosaics featuring bronze panels on the tops and sides with embossed biometric designs and bronze elephant head h...Category
20th Century Philippine British Colonial Commodes and Chests of DrawersMaterials
- Mid-Century Pen Shell Desk or Writing Table by Maitland-SmithBy Maitland SmithLocated in Palm Beach, FLChic sleek Mid-Century Modern desk crafted in a pen shell mosaic with three drawers in the case having brass highlights on elegant legs with ball feet. Signed Maitland-Smith in drawer.Category
Late 20th Century Philippine Mid-Century Modern DesksMaterials
- Neo Classic Coffee Table by Maitland-SmithBy Maitland SmithLocated in Palm Beach, FLMid-century coffee table with a square form featuring a terrazzo top with embedded seashells, neo classic base with raw metal and brass highlights and brass paw feet. Signed Maitland...Category
Mid-20th Century Philippine Neoclassical Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
- Ostrich Leather Round Occasional Table by Maitland-SmithLocated in Palm Beach, FLOccasional table or stand with two round tiers entirely clad in ostrich leather. Signed Maitland-Smith on the bottom.Category
Mid-20th Century Philippine Mid-Century Modern Side TablesMaterials
- Life Size Lizard Sculpture by Maitland-SmithLocated in Palm Beach, FLLife size lizard sculpture crafted with a penshell body and silvered metal head, legs, and bottom. Signed Maitland-Smith.Category
Mid-20th Century Philippine Mid-Century Modern Animal SculpturesMaterials
- Mid-Century Leather Covered Bookcase or CabinetBy Maitland SmithLocated in Palm Beach, FLTall, stately, and serious cabinet or bookcase entirely clan in tooled tan leather. Having two glass lockable doors in the top case and featuring faux leather books on the lower case...Category
20th Century American Mid-Century Modern BookcasesMaterials
You May Also Like
Late 20th Century American Commodes and Chests of Drawers
20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Cabinets
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Cabinets
2010s Philippine Modern Dressers
Vintage 1980s Thai Hollywood Regency Cabinets
20th Century Cabinets
Mid-20th Century Mid-Century Modern Console Tables
21st Century and Contemporary Philippine Cabinets
Vintage 1980s Philippine Modern Vitrines
Vintage 1970s Chinoiserie Wardrobes and Armoires
Faux Bamboo, Wood, Wicker
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Insured Global Delivery