- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Vintage Century French Empire Neoclassical Burl Wood Credenza Sideboard Cabinet
- CreatorCentury Furniture (Manufacturer)
- DimensionsHeight: 43.75 in. (111.13 cm)Width: 76 in. (193.04 cm)Depth: 19 in. (48.26 cm)
- StyleEmpire (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacturecirca 1970s
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use. Item is in very good vintage / pre-owned condition being structurally sturdy and sound with with light age appropriate signs of use, including some minor dings and scuffs. Overall very nice.
- Seller LocationPhiladelphia, PA
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU934111306343
Shipping & Returns
- Shipping$750 White Glove Shippingto Continental US, arrives in 3-8 weeks. We recommend this shipping type based on item size, type and fragility.Delivered by appointment to the room of your choice.Ships From: Philadelphia, PA
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 7 days of delivery.
About Century Furniture (Manufacturer)
Known for its many durable display cabinets, nightstands and dressers made of cherry, oak, walnut and more, Century Furniture of Hickory, North Carolina, began as an upholstered goods company in 1947 but added case goods and sophisticated mahogany dining-room furnishings shortly thereafter.
Launched by Harley Ferguson Shuford Sr., a Hickory native who was born to a family of textile mill owners, Century Furniture was intended to be “the best furniture company in the world.” With respect to speed and efficiency, the brand found its footing midway through production on a government contract that Shuford had secured in the early days to manufacture thousands of five-drawer chests. The effort was significant, but it was also a teachable moment as far as Shuford and his team’s learning the ropes of running a factory.
After hiring designer Raymond K. Sobota in 1950 and introducing the enormously popular Citation Collection in 1954, Century established its reputation as a leader in stylishly designed high-quality furniture. Sobota had furniture in his blood — after graduating from Kendall College of Art & Design in Grand Rapids, Michigan, he worked for his uncle Karl Schmidt, who was at the time a well-known furniture designer for Berkey and Gay and other makers in the Grand Rapids area, then known as America’s furniture capital. Sobota soon launched his own studio, designing furniture as a freelancer for various local manufacturers. Shuford found him by happenstance, journeying to Michigan’s second-largest city to offer a job to another designer who turned him down but recommended Sobota instead.
Century’s Citation line — a sizable collection for the brand that spanned furnishings for the bedroom, dining room and more — is revered in the world of mid-century modern furniture collectors. The pieces sold very well during the 1950s, and the line is an oft-cited success story for Sobota, who would go on to win awards for his work and whose own catalogue of designs for the brand is massive.
In his 40-year career at Century, until he retired in 1995, he designed well over 100 furniture lines. Sobota’s nightstands, cabinets, side tables and more are characterized by his interest in Asian design, distinctly and brilliantly expressed in his Hollywood Regency–style Chin Hua line, which debuted during the 1970s. With its geometrically decorative brass drawer pulls and door handles as well as dining-chair seat-back carvings — all inspired by Asian motifs — this collection has rendered vintage pieces that saw Century’s craftsmen working with alluring ebonized walnut and more, some of the company’s most sought-after work today.
Also in the 1970s as well as in the 1980s, Manhattan interior designer Jay Spectre introduced an Art Deco–informed spirit at Century Furniture, creating oversize, inviting lounge chairs and bentwood benches that featured plush tufted leather cushions. Spectre’s Eclipse collection was at one point among the largest-selling lines for the brand.
Century licensed collections with celebrity interior designers such as Thomas O’Brien, Charlotte Moss and Bunny Williams among others. In 2013, when Alex Shuford III was named president of Century Furniture, the move marked the succession of the third generation to lead this company, which is today one of the world’s largest privately held manufacturers of high-end furniture.
Find Hollywood Regency–style lounge and dining chairs as well as vintage mid-century modern wardrobe credenzas, dressers and more from Century Furniture on 1stDibs.
- By Century FurnitureLocated in Philadelphia, PACentury French Empire neoclassical style figural banded burl wood nightstands bedside cabinet, a pair. Item feat...Category
Mid-20th Century North American Empire Night StandsMaterials
- By Florence KnollLocated in Philadelphia, PAVintage Mid-Century Modern laminate formica case 72" Credenza cabinet buffet. Item features cane door fronts, 4 ...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern CredenzasMaterials
- By Dunbar FurnitureLocated in Philadelphia, PARoger Sprunger for Dunbar Burled olivewood credenza. Item features metal X-frame stretcher and base, beautiful w...Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern CredenzasMaterials
- By Four HandsLocated in Philadelphia, PABina Collection Morgan console credenza cabinet in the Danish modern style. Item features a "antiqued" mirror pa...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Vietnamese Mid-Century Modern CredenzasMaterials
- Located in Philadelphia, PAAntique Victorian burr wood walnut serpentine marble-top sideboard credenza. Item includes a shaped marble top, ...Category
Antique Mid-19th Century European Victorian CredenzasMaterials
- By Dunbar Furniture, Edward WormleyLocated in Philadelphia, PAEdward Wormley for Dunbar mahogany sideboard. Item features clean Mid-Century Modern lines, brass accents at the...Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern CredenzasMaterials
You May Also Like
Late 20th Century American French Provincial Credenzas
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Dressers
Vintage 1970s American Hollywood Regency Buffets
Vintage 1970s Credenzas
Vintage 1970s American Credenzas
20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Credenzas
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern Credenzas
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Credenzas
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Insured Global Delivery